Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Is black panther going to be the new ironman?

Iron man has been one of the most popular mcu characters and in a way, the standard bearer for the mcu. With the likelihood of us losing iron man and probably cap because contracts and age, do you think black panther may become the new face of the mcu?

A bit too early for this discussion. Don't you think? Black Panther will become very prominent. But Iron Man is just too big. Iron Man 3 never had this kind of must see vibe. Yet it earned 1.2 billion all due to Iron Man himself. He is the biggest star in the Avengers whose position has been made really strong over a long period of successes. Black Panther had only one weekend. Granted it is massive. Still it is a bit early.

One thing is working against T'Challa. When Iron Man came out the thing which everyone talked about was Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. He alone carried the film, apart from it being very good itself. He is the best part in each Iron Man film. Among the best elements in team up films. On the other hand Black Panther has a lot of praise. To the villain. To the women. While Chadwick Boseman is receiving praise its not as profuse as Robert Downey Jr. had. So, i can see Black Panther being popular. But i am not sure about being Iron Man like popular.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-20-2018 at 11:12 PM.

I don't think so.

Extraordinary Member

Why do ppl keep making these comparison threads for Black Panther? The movie isn't even out a week yet. Will it beat T2? Will he be the new Iron Man? Is it better than this/that movie? Damn can the movie have it's own success? I don't get the point behind all these comparisons for a brand new movie.

He feels like a mix of the big three (Cap/IM/Thor) so I could see him taking over for any of them if there is a need. I saw Dr. Strange as a direct IM replacement but that's all the more reason not to use him that way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Why do ppl keep making these comparison threads for Black Panther? The movie isn't even out a week yet. Will it beat T2? Will he be the new Iron Man? Is it better than this/that movie? Damn can the movie have it's own success? I don't get the point behind all these comparisons for a brand new movie.
    Because Black Panther is exceeding 99% of people's expectations. Everyone is surprised by how well it has been received and how popular it is. Comparing it to the performance of other movies is a useful metric during the discussion.

Astonishing Member

Its certainly a possibility.

The Black Panther mythology is certainly rich enough on its own. And in T'Challa, we do have a character who can be a credible leader for the superhero community.

Assuming Marvel decides to not reboot/recast the likes of Iron Man, Cap, Thor etc. but instead pass the baton on to newer characters, then I certainly see Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel becoming the possible new 'trinity' of the MCU. With Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Wasp and Vision also being major presences. And the possible inclusion of Bucky as the new Captain America of course.

I saw a suggestion of Shuri taking Riris place as the next Ironman but no Tchallas personality doesnt lend itself to being center of attention in the Avengers. I hope tchalla and tony share some more scenes b4 RDJ retires as Tony. Becauae id love to see Tony getting on Tchallas last nerve.

Shuri though was light funny and fun. Id have np issue with her becoming Tony portege and being the next Ironman. Imagine those two in character. It would be comedy gold.

Boisterously Confused

I suppose it all depends on how Marvel incorporates The Fox franchises into their CU. With BP's recent success, I can't see Marvel coldbooting the franchises from scratch. However, a lot of attention is going to go to the X-Characters once Marvel's firmly got their mitts on them.

BANNED

How about we just let Black Panther be Black Panther?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Because Black Panther is exceeding 99% of people's expectations. Everyone is surprised by how well it has been received and how popular it is. Comparing it to the performance of other movies is a useful metric during the discussion.
    This exactly. Ironman and black panther came out and surprised everyone.

I just think that marvel is going to need a new standard bearer moving into phase four and black panther might as well be it.

The problem, as others have mentioned, is that it is the people around Panther who are popular, not so much Panther himself. Killmonger is a break-out villain rivaling Loki, perhaps even exceeding him. Shuri is absolutely adorable. Panther...exists.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The problem, as others have mentioned, is that it is the people around Panther who are popular, not so much Panther himself. Killmonger is a break-out villain rivaling Loki, perhaps even exceeding him. Shuri is absolutely adorable. Panther...exists.
    Yea i dont see anyone saying he simply exists. Black Panther just finaly did what ppl cried they wanted and instead of making a simple heroes story . they gave the supporting cast and villians time and development. Which had had great results. That doesnt diminish Tchalla at all. The fact is Killmonger was given the more dramatic part. But they were mirriors of each other. One doesnt work without the other. Killmonger was the one oppressed, denied his father and his heritage. That resonating with ppl especialy african americans. Boseman has still gotten tons of praise. I honestly cant imagine Tchalla being any better from an acting stand point. That said Tonys the center of attention in the MCU and is everywhere. Tchalla cant be for the MCU what Tony is. Hes needs to spend most his time in Wakanda and only be an Avenger when shit hits the fan(an Avengers movie or Civil war type movie.)

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea i dont see anyone saying he simply exists. Black Panther just finaly did what ppl cried they wanted and instead of making a simple heroes story . they gave the supporting cast and villians time and development. Which had had great results. That doesnt diminish Tchalla at all. The fact is Killmonger was given the more dramatic part. But they were mirriors of each other. One doesnt work without the other. Killmonger was the one oppressed, denied his father and his heritage. That resonating with ppl especialy african americans. Boseman has still gotten tons of praise. I honestly cant imagine Tchalla being any better from an acting stand point. That said Tonys the center of attention in the MCU and is everywhere. Tchalla cant be for the MCU what Tony is. Hes needs to spend most his time in Wakanda and only be an Avenger when shit hits the fan(an Avengers movie or Civil war type movie.)
    You are right about that. I can't think of anyone doing better then Chadwick Boseman. He played the role really well. But the film is not such that he is the one people are most impressed with.

I think Black Panther can be at the center when the likes of Robert Downey Jr. or Chris Evans go out. Let someone like Shuri take care of Wakanda on her brother's behalf. And he could be in the center. He's a king and a leader.

We can't guess exactly what the tastes of audiences would be after four or five years. But i think its safe to say that it would be similar. Shuri is a fun character like Tony. So, personality wise she appears to be a better fit then T'Challa. T'Challa does not appear like someone who could be as popular as Tony Stark. But he could be popular like Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    A bit too early for this discussion. Don't you think? Black Panther will become very prominent. But Iron Man is just too big. Iron Man 3 never had this kind of must see vibe. Yet it earned 1.2 billion all due to Iron Man himself. He is the biggest star in the Avengers whose position has been made really strong over a long period of successes. Black Panther had only one weekend. Granted it is massive. Still it is a bit early.

One thing is working against T'Challa. When Iron Man came out the thing which everyone talked about was Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. He alone carried the film, apart from it being very good itself. He is the best part in each Iron Man film. Among the best elements in team up films. On the other hand Black Panther has a lot of praise. To the villain. To the women. While Chadwick Boseman is receiving praise its not as profuse as Robert Downey Jr. had. So, i can see Black Panther being popular. But i am not sure about being Iron Man like popular.
    Unfortunately I think this might be true, so many of the reviews flat out don't even mention T'Challa and when they do they say he was the least interesting character. Not that he didn't get prsise, he did, just not RDJ Iron Man levels. Like others have said he'll likely be on the Cap role than the Iron Man one, which I think Spider-Man will get.