Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
Like I said, that's context. And he was made to write someone else's ideas in Rebirth too. Lois and Clark being together was Jurgens and Johns' idea. Lois and Clark having a son was also Jurgens and Johns' idea. Did you know he wasn't even originally supposed to be on Super Sons? That was supposed to be Dennis Culver apparently.

But the point is, something clicked with Tomasi when he wrote Superman in the context of Rebirth that simply didn't with the New 52. There's nothing to say the same isn't possible for Bendis. That's my point.

That doesn't really distract from my point. His skill or lack-there-of will be proven regardless of control. Pak seemed to have relatively little control of his run past a few issues, yet he's a Superman creator that's held in relatively high regard for what good he did do. My point is writing plus context can change up a product.

Largely irrelevant given the multiple shifts in context. Till something in this new context ie DC is shown, we can't really accurately do more than aimlessly speculate at the very best.

Does Bendis deserve the benefit of the doubt? Yes, I don't see why not. In such a foreign context I'd have to be Bendis himself to have any authority in saying how well or poor he'd do here. Saying simply because his Iron Man wasn't received well, he shouldn't get to do Superman is actually stranger than saying since Tomasi's Superman/Wonder Woman was mediocre at best, he shouldn't get Superman. At the very least one could argue that Tomasi was in the context of the DCU and writing Superman no less, so we have an idea of what his Superman would be like. Bendis hasn't even work at DC let alone Superman, so it's a little sillier to say I'd know how good or bad his run would be.

As I said before, your trepidation is fine, it's everything surrounding it that I fail to grasp.
The difference is that he was given power over those ideas. If he didn't come up with them he certainly was allowed to execute them the way he wanted. He never had such luxury with SM/WW.

Circumstances drastically changed for Tomasi, Bendis taking over Superman on the other hand is no different whatsoever from him taking over Iron Man. Circumstances would have been different for Bendis if he was given a third book set in the past or another continuity. Right now I see no change in his mo.

Pak is only held up by a small group of New 52 fans.

True indeed but based on BMB's track record speculation has every right to be negative.

Again I'm not seeing this Tomasi comparison:

Tomasi didn't get to write both Superman and Action.
Tomasi didn't get full control over Supergirl.
Tomasi didn't have absolute control over the franchise.

The quality of Bendis's work isn't the problem. I'm not knocking on Bendis because he wrote garbage and therefore must always produce garbage . The issue here is that if I dont like his work I'll simply drop it. The problem is that I wont just be dropping Bendis, I'll be saying good bye to the entire franchise.