Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I absolutely loved this issue, and I’m heartbroken that it’s the last one. I liked almost every part of this issue, especially that GenX flashback page. I got a lump in my throat for a minute.

My only quibbles were:

- Strain of all people should know that Jubilee’s mutant powers aren’t “fireworks”. The character herself has historically always bristled at folks who describe them that way, so for Jubes herself to say it seems very odd.

- Monet’s characterization once she was free of Marius seemed off for two reasons: 1) by the end of the all-female X-run she and Jubes were quite close, but here she seems to have regressed to her old snarky student self, attitude and all. Not what I expected. And 2) she showed no hint of trauma or remorse for the things she had done as M-plate. Yes, I know she was under her brother’s control, but someone with Monet’s moral center would absolutely be guilt-stricken nonetheless. But Strain was pressed for time and space here, so maybe it’ll be addressed later by another writer, who knows?
    Last edited by Dementia5; 02-21-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

No Sean or Emma.

This series will be missed.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Strain of all people should know that Jubilee’s mutant powers aren’t “fireworks”. The character herself has historically always bristled at folks who describe them that way, so for Jubes herself to say it seems very odd.
    Definitely is a glaring oversight. Could it be possible she's matured enough to have relaxed and accepted the term? If not, then yeah. Another mistake on part of the writers with character details.

- Monet’s characterization once she was free of Marius seemed off for two reasons: 1) by the end of the all-female X-run she and Jubes were quite close, but here she seems to have regressed to her old snarky student self, attitude and all. Not what I expected. And 2) she showed no hint of trauma or remorse for the things she had done as M-plate. Yes, I know she was under her brother’s control, but someone with Monet’s moral center would absolutely be guilt-stricken nonetheless. But Strain was pressed for time and space here, so maybe it’ll be addressed later by another writer, who knows?
    I feel the same way about Monet's characterization. I was also hoping for a more guilt-stricken attitude. For now, I am trying to think of it as Monet putting on a front. She's trying to hold it together and not show her emotions in front of everyone, since other students are there. But once she's had time to be alone with her thoughts, and when memories start coming back (if things are still hazy), then I imagine & hope she will be more effected by what she's done. I am hoping this attitude from her was an intentional facade of indifference.

Once again, the other cast members took precedence, so a proper & really heartfelt reunion with the OG cast wasn't the main priority -and once again, neither was Monet.

Im so glad they wrapped up M's plotline and that she's finally back to being her

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Strain herself has said on Twitter that Jubilee's powers are 'fireworks.' I think I said they are technically 'quasi animate transitory plasmoids,' but another twitter user described her power-set in full. Even though I love Strain as a writer, and really enjoyed this series... the firework thing is one instance I don't really agree with. However, at least her powers were not depicted as 'weak' in this issue. Also, I LOOOVE that old-school Gen X flashback page. It brings back so many emotions, as is my all-time favorite comic series.
    Overall, I feel Christina Strain wrapped up the series very well. While I wasn't totally on board with the art or the newer characters from the start, the storyline and her use of Jubilee and the OG Gen Xers won me over. I also grew fond of many of the newer kids in the book. Amilcar Pinna's art is different- and sometimes so beautiful- but other times just lacks a bit of that comic-book-feel. There was an issue, I think #6 or around there, where the artist changed in the middle of the book. I would say that the fill-in artist for that issue (where Pixie teleports Jubilee and the others to rescue Bling! from M-Plate,) was some of the worst comic art I've ever seen. It made the whole cast look like they were part of Beavis and Butthead. The series did pick up amazingly after it found its footing, and I'm very sad to see it go. I hope the kids, Jubilee, Chamber, Monet, and Husk all get secured in another book before too long.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was a really good conclusion to a wonderful series. I'll miss it, hope the characters don't get completely forgotten. Glad that the M-Plate story at least got resolved, would have liked some more exploration of Monet's feelings post possession, but I understand that Strain was lacking real estate to properly get into that. Hopefully Strain will get some more Marvel work sometime soon.

Does anyone know the card game Nate and Benji were talking about near the end there?

A great end before the circumstances.

No abandoned plots or unanswered plots and we get back Jubilee with your powers and Monet free from Emplate.

Not to mention the young couples all have had their moment from Ben and Nat to Mercury and Bling (okay this was a surprise although it is not implicit that they are really a couple). Even I who hate QQ thought he was acceptable this time.

This comic had several problems to deal with and can not say I'm surprised by the cancellation but in its own way it is unique and did not try to be a copy or a nostalgic version of something that fans missed.

I wish the writer had more time to develop her ideas mainly about separating the students but this shows the reality of the comics industry today.

It's a shame that some of these characters will return to limbo but at least for a while they were the protagonists of their own story.

Besides, we had a happy ending so I'm happy too.

Sometimes that's all that matters .
    Last edited by Knives; 02-21-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Definitely is a glaring oversight. Could it be possible she's matured enough to have relaxed and accepted the term? If not, then yeah. Another mistake on part of the writers with character details.
    Perhaps the overwhelming joyous relief of having her mutant powers restored softened her perspective/ego SO MUCH that she just does not care. Like, I were an aerokinetic mutant, like Sofia Mantega, and if I referred to my powers as aerokinesis, but then lost my powers and was powerLESS for a STUPID LONG period of time and then got my powers back, I might feel inclined to cry out "OMG I got my WIND POWERS BACK!!"
    Maybe its like that?
    Like, "I don't even give a crap about the proper term for what I can do -- I'm NOT a vampire anymore and I've got my SNAP CRACKLE POP BACK Y'ALL!!!" <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    Strain is my favorite writer just because of this lol.
    Yeah but she isn’t the colorist!

A nice end to a beautiful comic.

Thank you Christina and friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This was a really good conclusion to a wonderful series. I'll miss it, hope the characters don't get completely forgotten. Glad that the M-Plate story at least got resolved, would have liked some more exploration of Monet's feelings post possession, but I understand that Strain was lacking real estate to properly get into that. Hopefully Strain will get some more Marvel work sometime soon.

Does anyone know the card game Nate and Benji were talking about near the end there?
    I’m pretty sure, Magic: the Gathering.

Perhaps the overwhelming joyous relief of having her mutant powers restored softened her perspective/ego SO MUCH that she just does not care. Like, I were an aerokinetic mutant, like Sofia Mantega, and if I referred to my powers as aerokinesis, but then lost my powers and was powerLESS for a STUPID LONG period of time and then got my powers back, I might feel inclined to cry out "OMG I got my WIND POWERS BACK!!"
    Maybe its like that?
    Like, "I don't even give a crap about the proper term for what I can do -- I'm NOT a vampire anymore and I've got my SNAP CRACKLE POP BACK Y'ALL!!!" <shrug>
    As good a theory as any I guess.

To your point, I don’t see the conversation going:

Eye Boy: “Oh my GOD Jubilee, your fireworks are back!”

Jubes: “Well, actually Trevor these are ‘transitory plasmoids’. ‘Transitory’ meaning they don’t exist for very long, and ‘plasmoid’ meaning a tiny ball of plasma, which is an ionized gas burning at such a high temperature (generally many thousands of degrees) that it actually causes fission in the atoms of the gas, resulting in the release of massive, localized energy akin to a tiny nuclear explosion, which is where the pyrotechnic aspect of my powers comes from, and...”

Much more likely:

Eyeballs: “Oh my GOD Jubilee, your fireworks are back!”

Jubes: “F@CK YEAH FIREWORKS!!!!”
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

MONET!!!!

actually...

ACCURATE RACE-PORTRAYED MONET!!!!

They beat the villain by using memories Like a TV episode "clip show" ... WHAM Right in the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    They beat the villain by using memories Like a TV episode "clip show" ... WHAM Right in the feels.
    I don't think that's actually the case, but it almost feels like the whole reason for Nath's powers was that it could do that. Feels really satisfying for me for some reason lol.

Incredible Member

Glad the Jubilee is back to normal. Hopefully, she gets more appearances in other X-books. On a related note, weren't her powers theorized to get more powerful as she got older?