Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Avengers World #9 Review and Spoilers

I didn't see a thread and most likely with all the new Marvel NOW news its probably getting lost in the shuffle. I really enjoyed this buddy/buddy issue with Cannonball and Sunspot. They really haven't been featured since Infinity which Spencer really emphasised on.

High Points
    1. Back to the Future References, loved those.
    2. Jocasta returning both present and future version and how she agrees they have to stop AIM but some stuff needs to happen or the future will be worse.
    3. Future Taskmaster.
    4. Next Avengers return and tie in to the last Secret Avengers series. Well played.

Low Points
    1. How Cannonball and Sunspot escaped was a little to easy. Apparently Future AIM stockpiling Past AIM shows they still can't keep superheroes locked up.
    2. Felt this should have happened after the Hyperion issue. I get this one large story but there is a lot of jumping around the various places. AIM is the main focus but it took four issues to resolve Shang-chi being kicked off the Great Dragon. Cannonball and Sunspot have been MIA for almost 5 issues now.
    3. Least they explain how AIM got so advanced and why all these other problems with the City of the Dead and the Gorgon are all happening around the same time but felt a little tacked on because future Jocasta had to explain it.
    4. More references to "History Runs Out" and that Thanos is going to join the New Avengers to stop the Incursions. Don't know how I feel about that.
    5. Really? Canonball and Sunspot stop at a bar first when they get to the future? I love these two together but that was a bit much.
    Mooper Films

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

A big nerd like Cannonball suddenly finds himself in a Star Wars cantina? You know he's sticking around for drinks.

But I agree with most of your "low points." Still, a fun issue.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yeah, this issue just tried too hard.

i thought it was a really fun issue. Cannonball and Sunspot going to a bar felt natural to me. seeing Jocasta was great. loved the Back to the Future references too.

That was a pretty fun issue to read. The Next Avengers stuff at the end i did not in any way see coming.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Yeah the Next Avengers showing up came as a complete surprise and this was indeed a fun issue.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Are these Avengers Next previously introduced characters? Are they from the Spider-Girl future?

BANNED

They are from an animated movie originally. Bendis used them during his Avengers run during his run up to Age of Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Are these Avengers Next previously introduced characters? Are they from the Spider-Girl future?
    I don't know if there is a comic but I recognized them from the animated film Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i thought it was a really fun issue. Cannonball and Sunspot going to a bar felt natural to me. seeing Jocasta was great. loved the Back to the Future references too.
    The thing that people have to consider is that these guys aren't just team mates. They're practically brothers and have been friends since Bobby was like 13yo. To me, it only seemed natural that, even on a mission, they'd kinda chill out and do what brothers might. This is definitely not their first bar fight. Their whole bar stop also fairly natural because Sam has always been a little too eager to play into Bobby's Stark-level playboy billionaire way of living.

The only thing about the whole issue that felt unnatural to me was that neither of them powered up. Spy mission or not, you'd think that they'd still be concerned about not getting beaten to a pulp. I felt that Spencer did it this way just to give Jocasta an excuse to save them and move the story forward. It would've been nice to see them put up a real fight though.

Very good issue overall. The bulk of the Avengers line has been so dark and serious lately that it's nice to see an issue that's fun and funny. Definitely a Troy & Abed thing to the way Spencer writes Sam & Bobby.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    No. They're not MC2 characters. They were in the animated movie "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow." They were also brought into continuity in 2010 with Avengers #1.

I really enjoyed this issue. As some of you have said, it was just a lot of fun! Bobby and Sam are great and I've loved what I've read of them in the avengers books. I knew the Next Avengers were showing up because of the newest solicit out, but I didn't expect it to be this issue. I'm also really glad that the mind erasing thing from Spencer's Secret Avengers is being addressed here.

A few questions though... First who is Jocasta? I remember when they found her in SA but it was never brought up again til now so I haven't looked her up. And second where did Bobby and Sam first appear? They're x-men right?

Bobby and Sam are probably the funnest thing Hickman has added to the Avengers. I hope that element doesn't completely vanish after he leaves the book (I honestly believe the vast majority of the things Hickman introduced aren't going to be sticking around after he's gone).

Sam and Bobby are just fun. With no Beast and Simon, it's the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    A few questions though... First who is Jocasta? I remember when they found her in SA but it was never brought up again til now so I haven't looked her up.
    Ultron originally built her as his wife created from Janet Van Dyne's brain patterns. She betrayed Ultron and became an Avenger. I think this version is some kind of duplicate as another version was scene recently in Avengers A.I.

where did Bobby and Sam first appear? They're x-men right?
    I think in Uncanny Avengers.

I really enjoyed this issue. As some of you have said, it was just a lot of fun! Bobby and Sam are great and I've loved what I've read of them in the avengers books. I knew the Next Avengers were showing up because of the newest solicit out, but I didn't expect it to be this issue. I'm also really glad that the mind erasing thing from Spencer's Secret Avengers is being addressed here.

A few questions though... First who is Jocasta? I remember when they found her in SA but it was never brought up again til now so I haven't looked her up. And second where did Bobby and Sam first appear? They're x-men right?
    Sam and Bobby are two of the original New Mutants, so they go right back to the first issue of that in about 1983 or so.