Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Astonishing X-Men #8 – Spoilers

Quick summary:

• Proteus appears in London and tries to absorb the energies of a man. Meanwhile, the X-men are questioning X, wondering if he was responsible for bringing Proteus. He explains that he did not know of his presence and that the Shadow King must have been using fragments of Proteus' soul. By ending Farouk's psychic desease, Proteus must have joined his fragments and returned. But X guarantees that he can stop Proteus.

• Bishop tries to prevent Proteus from absorbing the energy of civilians using his energy weapon. X tries to prevent Bishop from continuing firing, as the weapon's energy will only end up energizing Proteus. Bishop says he knows, but by doing this, he can distract Proteus so he does not hurt anyone.

• Proteus controls Bishop's weapon and shoots at himself several times to energize himself.

• Logan suggests that he and Archangel use the metal of their claws and wings to kill Proteus, but Archangel says he does not necessarily want to kill him if there is another option. X agrees and asks Psylocke to join him to get into the mind of Proteus.

• In Proteus' mind, the two find Kevin MacTaggert in human form and fairly controlled. He says that when he fought the X-men in the past, he was just a kid trying to get away from a cell. But now, he spent millennia on the astral plane with Farouk and realized that what he did was wrong and that now he does not want to hurt anyone. He says he will not attack the X-men if they leave him alone to live his life.

• X responds by pulling two psychic weapons. Psylocke asks what he's doing and what happened with the idea of not shedding blood. X replies that they can not take risks. Proteus then attacks them mentally and in the physical world, merging the bodies of the two telepaths.

I really like Soule's work here. The way he writes X is very interesting. Totally unpredictable and egocentric, and in a very convincing way. It's cool to show "how Xavier would be if he were somehow corrupted and in a young healthy body" and add that in normal chronology in a believable way.

Poor Betsy, I could tell she didn't want to go with the guy, but she went and got herself screwed. The cover made me think they would have a fight, but it was more the concept of the two disagreeing. Siqueira has a clean and beautiful art.

Another cool point is that Soule recognizes chronology points in order to add weight to the story, but without being pedantic or just to please the fans just for the sake of it. These moments are really important to the story.
    Last edited by Weather; 02-21-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Archangel says he does not necessarily want to kill him if there is another option.
    Please choose one of the following options.

The X-men’s policy of mercy is:
    a) noble
    b) problematic
    c) both a and b
    d) totally ignored whenever convenient
    e) orange
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post

a) noble
    b) problematic
    c) both a and b
    e) orange
    Can I hose all of the above.

Side note it was nice sering psylocks original body( That was her her originals and not a diffrent persions body right, im still confuse on the body swap thing )

OML looked like a total silverfox in this issue. Zad

This was good. But I'm really hoping that Xavier: the Extra ******* version doesn't make it past this series.

I thought this issue stunk.

So in the APlane, proteus wants peace and freedom

Yet he is rampaging all over London. Maybe I’m missing something, he can’t control his feeding powers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I thought this issue stunk.

So in the APlane, proteus wants peace and freedom

Yet he is rampaging all over London. Maybe I’m missing something, he can’t control his feeding powers or something?
    In the scene he "attacked" the civilians, he said he was REALLY hungry and he just wanted a little bit and that he would not hurt them. But the man wants to protect his family, so he says "Take me, but leave them alone", and Proteus was like "if you insist, mate ―\_(ツ)_/―" and takes his energy.

We don't know if he was really going to kill the man, cause Bishop got there at the same time.

a) noble
    b) problematic
    c) both a and b
    e) orange
    All the answers lol.

I think Warren was kinda right in this situation. He wanted to know if that was really the same Proteus before doing some drastic moves. This is the first time, in a long time, he is 100% himself in Archangel form, so he might not want to bring death upon everybody that quickly. He says something like that. It was even a little funny haha.

Lol we need Mike Carey to come back and write another Xavier redemption storyline. He forgot all the lessons he learnt

This issue was better than the previous one. That's all I have to say.

a) noble
    b) problematic
    c) both a and b
    e) orange

Really liked this issue. I love it when it doesn’t take me 5 minutes to finish reading

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Really liked this issue. I love it when it doesn’t take me 5 minutes to finish reading
    Me too, comrade. I liked that the issue took advantage of the pages it has.

And even the small moments with Gambit & Rogue, Betsy & Warren and Logan & Mystique were not really important to the overall plot, but they make the characters feel like themselves, to recognize what is happening during this crazy story... Some writers would just ignore that and just show them hugging in a splash page. I like to read they talking, that humanizes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    Me too, comrade. I liked that the issue took advantage of the pages it has.

And even the small moments with Gambit & Rogue, Betsy & Warren and Logan & Mystique were not really important to the overall plot, but they make the characters feel like themselves, to recognize what is happening during this crazy story... Some writers would just ignore that and just show them hugging in a splash page. I like to read they talking, that humanizes them.
    I agree. Nice touches there like Proteus mentioning Gilbert Benson. I miss moments like these in the X-Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    That happens when it's a book in which you don't really know what's going to happen next, unlike..."certain" others that are phoned in.

X is as lame as Fantomex was.

Gambit eyes are wrong. Not sure why Remy is there. 8 issues and he did nothing useful for team.

I feel so ripped off by this book,TBH,a brutally underused cast of characters and,most tragic thing of all,barely any dialogue within 20 pages!Final issue can't come soon enough.