Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Where's the love?

The question i have for you is this (which given the season seems appropriate): What happened to the romance in Marvel Comics?

I mean aside from Luke Cage/Jessica and Reed/Sue is there any significant couples left in the Marvel U?

Peter and MJ are only together in an AU.
    Summers is dead and Frost has gone nuts.
    Logan and Storm had a great thing going before he got bathed in Adamantium and no one knows if with his return will see those two back together again.
    Piotr and Kat are at it again but who can honestly believe they will actually be allowed to tie the knot?
    Iceman, either straight or Gay, can't catch a break in the romance department.

I mean having adventures and action is all well and good but i need to see some love as well, is that too much to ask? Am i alone in this or does anyone else feel that we need to see that aspect return as well?

Check out Christina Strain's Generation X. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for!

I think it's gonna stay an industry problem as long as writers rotate. Most major Marvel heroes have had multiple long term relationships, but as soon as a different writer comes along it turns into this exact scenario:

"Hey, X shouldn't be with Y, they should be with Z."

That leads to either death, horrible argument then split, cheating, character moves away, selling souls to demons, etc.
    (for some reason divorce is too difficult for writers/editors to wrap their heads around)

Honestly, I think Marvel would've already broken up Reed and Sue if not for their shared origin story~

So Magik gay or straight? I'm thinking straight.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    I think it's gonna stay an industry problem as long as writers rotate. Most major Marvel heroes have had multiple long term relationships, but as soon as a different writer comes along it turns into this exact scenario:

"Hey, X shouldn't be with Y, they should be with Z."

That leads to either death, horrible argument then split, cheating, character moves away, selling souls to demons, etc.
    (for some reason divorce is too difficult for writers/editors to wrap their heads around)

Honestly, I think Marvel would've already broken up Reed and Sue if not for their shared origin story~
    Joe Quesada explicitly said as his justification for One More Day that he didn't want kids reading to get the impression that divorce was an acceptable solution to marital problems. Either that, or divorce is too close to home for a lot of them and having it happen to the characters in the comics would completely suck out whatever fun and escapism was left in them. Of course, Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne could get (and stay) divorced because it was just another way to say, "Pym is a loser, ha-ha." As for Reed and Sue, a lot of people seem to think that Civil War should've been the last straw for their marriage, but after a sabbatical from the Fantastic Four to deal with the aftermath, said marriage has apparently been stronger than ever.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Piotr and Kat are at it again but who can honestly believe they will actually be allowed to tie the knot?
    Considering it's a major announced comic, I believe they absolutely will be allowed to get married. How long it lasts is a bit unknown, but I do expect them to get married.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Hulkling and Wiccan ae still together doing their couple thing I think.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Brian and Meggan Braddock have just had a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    The question i have for you is this (which given the season seems appropriate): What happened to the romance in Marvel Comics?

I mean aside from Luke Cage/Jessica and Reed/Sue is there any significant couples left in the Marvel U?

Peter and MJ are only together in an AU.
    Summers is dead and Frost has gone nuts.
    Logan and Storm had a great thing going before he got bathed in Adamantium and no one knows if with his return will see those two back together again.
    Iceman, either straight or Gay, can't catch a break in the romance department.

I mean having adventures and action is all well and good but i need to see some love as well, is that too much to ask? Am i alone in this or does anyone else feel that we need to see that aspect return as well?
    Check out the Rogue and Gambit mini series.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Joe Quesada explicitly said as his justification for One More Day that he didn't want kids reading to get the impression that divorce was an acceptable solution to marital problems. Either that, or divorce is too close to home for a lot of them and having it happen to the characters in the comics would completely suck out whatever fun and escapism was left in them. Of course, Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne could get (and stay) divorced because it was just another way to say, "Pym is a loser, ha-ha." As for Reed and Sue, a lot of people seem to think that Civil War should've been the last straw for their marriage, but after a sabbatical from the Fantastic Four to deal with the aftermath, said marriage has apparently been stronger than ever.
    Better to have kids think that selling their souls to evil beings is better, right? Seriously, most things I listed are far worse than legal separation. I'm sorry so many of them personally went through divorces, but that's extremely common and absolutely acceptable. You should never force yourself to be with someone if one of you is unhappy. Divorce IS an acceptable part of life. Sorry it sucks, but most people I know are on their second marriage or at least once divorced and they are much happier people. According to Marvel, they should've died or sold their soul~

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    So Magik gay or straight? I'm thinking straight.
    Has she ever been in a relationship at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Check out the Rogue and Gambit mini series.
    I have but aside from some callbacks of past moments between them i don't see anything that says they will rekindle the romance (i mean Gambit is flirting with her but that is par the course, but what about Rogue?), and it is a mini so are the odds in favor of such?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    Better to have kids think that selling their souls to evil beings is better, right? Seriously, most things I listed are far worse than legal separation. I'm sorry so many of them personally went through divorces, but that's extremely common and absolutely acceptable. You should never force yourself to be with someone if one of you is unhappy. Divorce IS an acceptable part of life. Sorry it sucks, but most people I know are on their second marriage or at least once divorced and they are much happier people. According to Marvel, they should've died or sold their soul~
    Yeah, that is ridiculous, and a very good point you raise.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Healthy relationships aren't relatable.

Marvel characters are flawed human beings, with flawed relationships. Even the most successful Marvel couple has gone through things like the woman wanting to divorce the husband to pursue a relationship with one of his violent villains. The same happened with Bruce Banner and Betty Ross, now that I think about it.

Give it time and Jessica Jones will cheat on Luke with Iron Fist or Diamondback.

Totally different from DC.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."