Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur 6

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If you have a problem with power fantasy and wish fulfillment then I suggest you don't consume most Japanese media. Those things are the backbone of most Japanese fiction. There no need to ask questions about there's nothing wrong with it.

I like it when people move the goalposts so opposing views, "don't count".

We were responding to the idea that, "the guys tend to be properly dressed". No, they don't. Not always (just like not every female character dresses like Ivy). However you try to frame it, the end result is the same. A character hopping around a fight in revealing clothing that is, in no way, appropriate for what they're doing. Ivy doesn't look any more or less ridiculous than Voldo, no matter how you spin it.

But that's fine. Soul Calibur's been a game that's reveled in over-the-top designs for 20 years now. They don't always appeal to me, but it's not something I want to see scrubbed and sanitized for the sake of appeasing people who probably don't even play the game to begin with.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 02-24-2018 at 08:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    We were responding to the idea that, "the guys tend to be properly dressed". No, they don't. Not always (just like not every female character dresses like Ivy). However you try to frame it, the end result is the same. A character hopping around a fight in revealing clothing that is, in no way, appropriate for what they're doing. Ivy doesn't look any more or less ridiculous than Voldo, no matter how you spin it.
    It's not that Ivy looks ridiculous, but about the way she looks ridiculous.
    Especially given that her character supposedly has the sexual morals of a nun.

I remember, way back in the day, playing SOUL CALIBER III on my PS2, the last gaming console I ever owned.

That game was such ridiculous fun for me.

Not the In - story characters, tho.

The custom creation mode. Holy shnikes.

I remember making both classic and personal versions of my favourite DC and Marvel heroes and villains, and just playing with them for hours.

What's the word on SC6 with custom character creation?

If it's good enough .... man, I don't know, I'm kinda done with consoles in general, but I still play a lot (mostly INJUSTICE 2 now) on my phone. I don't suppose it'll be available on the Play store?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I don't suppose it'll be available on the Play store?
    Unlikely. They made a half-assed Soul Calibur game on mobiles a few years back but that was about it. Didn't have character creation either, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I remember, way back in the day, playing SOUL CALIBER III on my PS2, the last gaming console I ever owned.

That game was such ridiculous fun for me.

Not the In - story characters, tho.

The custom creation mode. Holy shnikes.

I remember making both classic and personal versions of my favourite DC and Marvel heroes and villains, and just playing with them for hours.

What's the word on SC6 with custom character creation?

If it's good enough .... man, I don't know, I'm kinda done with consoles in general, but I still play a lot (mostly INJUSTICE 2 now) on my phone. I don't suppose it'll be available on the Play store?
    They still had character creation in SC5, I made some pretty decent looking comic book characters. Deadpool, Dr. Doom, Shredder, Lum and Hsien Ko (from the Darkstalkers video game series.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I think that Ivy's design was like that because her weapon is a sword-whip thing and they went "Screw it: Dominatrix" in order to meet the fanservice quota. I think that there might be some sort of backstory justification in her dark impulses from being Cervantes' daughter, or her sword being an alchemical weapon with a dark will of its own like a proto-Soul-Edge, or something like that, but mostly I just tell myself that she hates her dad and wants to make sure that he's as uncomfortable as humanly possible when they inevitably fight. I definitely know that it was awkward playing this game with any female friends/family members in that era.

She's got some rather respectable alternate costumes in most/all the games, but by now its pretty much tradition for her to look like was running late to the battle from her side-business in an S&M parlor and forgot to change, just like how Taki tends to dip herself in red body paint before every match. This one seems like a notable step forward from her design in SC4 or 5, where she was practically falling out of her outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's not that Ivy looks ridiculous, but about the way she looks ridiculous.
    Especially given that her character supposedly has the sexual morals of a nun.
    Her sexual morals have never been stated within the story. She was raised by a wealthy noble family, her adoptive father was obsessed with soul edge and her real father is Cervantes. That's as much as we know for background. There was an ending where she became a hermit, but it was essentially for a greater cause believing herself to be cursed by Soul Edge. Being from a wealthy family doesn't make you immune to running around in a skimpy outfit as seen with Emma Frost in her White Queen days.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I'm hardly going to complain because if Ivy was returning this was about as expected costume wise as always.

That being said I've been playing since Soul Calibur II but even I have to wince a bit every time I see some of the female designs in the games.

Just wish the game ever tried to actually explain Ivy's look. Most make sense with who they are etc... with Ivy and to a somewhat lesser extent Taki being the bigger exceptions on the female side (man I miss the days I wasn't fully aware of the term boob socks).

Still at this point it may as well be made into her actual story somehow, I just don't know how they'd do so. It'd be much more forgiving for the company to at least give a reason.

Voldo's the only real exception on the men's side since even the skimpy dude outfits on the rare occasions they're there are less about sexualizing them and more showing THEY'RE SO POWERFUL THEY DON'T EVEN NEED ARMOR. Or so I imagine Astraoth and Algol etc might say, but even Voldo's is being played entirely for laughs from what I remember nowadays.
    Last edited by PyroTwilight; 03-13-2018 at 07:39 AM.

BANNED

I started with the original Soul Edge AKA Soul Blade on the first Playstation.

And the last one I could somewhat enjoy was SoulCalibur III.

I started playing the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II then i stopped caring the series after IV
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    I started playing the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II then i stopped caring the series after IV
    Yeah V was definitely a base breaking game for lots of Soul Calibur fans to say the least.

Lord knows I'm waiting for Cassandra's confirmation, she actually got me into the series, or interested enough to stay. Much like Asuka did for Tekken.

I virtually never sell games and I pretty much returned V to the store in under two weeks.

No Taki, no sale.

Crossing my fingers for my girl Cassandra

Last edited by Crimz; 03-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

A Cassandra fan. A person after my own heart.