Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Man's Super Best Friend: KRYPTO appreciation!

He is one of the greatest animals in all of fiction, and easily the greatest dog from comic books.

And he makes everything about the Superverse better by his mere presence.

He is Krypto, the Super Dog.

I was surprised that, 3+ years into these rebooted forums, I can't find an existing Krypto appreciation thread. If there is one, please merge. If not, then let's get it started!

Dogs are awesome. Krypto is super awesome. He is inherently goofy (a flying dog with a cape? come on), but that goofiness endears him to me. More than that, it further endears Clark and his world to me (not that HE needs any help there).

Krypto has been around since 1955. He actually pre-dates the start of the Silver Age and Barry Allen's debut.

While he has yet to make it to any live-action venues, he has made it other media. Heck, he's even had his own animated TV show (2005-2006's KRYPTO THE SUPERDOG) that ran for 2 seasons:

He humanizes Clark in a particular way that no one else does or can.

So All Hail Krypto!* Show him who's a good boy!

* - just Krypto, no other Super-Pets or other Super Animals here
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-10-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Here is a Krypto cosplay

0BD3835E-795E-4A75-AFCC-16E63BA41C7B.jpg

"I've always considered him a good judge of character."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Krypto, imo, is probably the greatest back up character of all time. "All this and... Superman's dog?!" Hilarious. I love Beppo, but Krypto has that history.

i still stand saying that n52 Krypto was the best Krypto ever

Three cheers for the Dog of Tomorrow.
    Power with Girl is better.

So Krypto might be the easiest character for me to think of for a top 5. In no order:

Action Comics #13 - the beloved, most recent story. Very much like a fairy tail, a beautiful follow up to the New 52 origin story featuring Krypto. Best foot for starting out I've seen.

Action Comics #591 - Superboy comes with his best friend attached at the hip. Beats what I consider a runner up in Whatever Happened. It's a story I deeply and truly love, but the idea of a sacrifice being fatal just makes it a little too sad to claim it in favor of the featured characters. This story features a sacrifice, but it's actually pretty funny and not necessarily permanent.

Man of Steel #112 - a spiritual older sibling to the New 52 story. Although the process of bringing about Krypto was extremely odd, for all intents and purposes he was the real Krypto. This was a sweet case of Krypto saving th day in a manner that no other character would pull off.

Superman #287 - whoo. I love Bob Oksner for any given thing, but his Krypto was just the most adorable. Maggin wrote a very sweet and again, particular Krypto story. Short as it was, it was perfect imo.

Action Comics #462 - the best case I have seen for an ongoing feature, If you thought his master had weird tastebuds...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What a shame... I wanted put this video.. Too late..

Two open questions about Krypto:

1) Krypto is an alien, but to what earth - breed of dog is he closest?

The easy answer is "generic mutt", but I'm hoping some folks wiser about dog breeds can give their two cents.

2) Where does Krypto rank in the pantheon of fictional dogs? Top 5? Top 10?

I know he is not Top 1, because that spot belongs to Snoopy from Peanuts. And I guess Lassie is right behind that beagle. Old Yeller just has the one story, but EVERYONE knows of it. Disney's Pluto gets a spot strictly by fame (I refuse to consider Goofy as a dog). Scooby-Doo is way up there too. Brian from Family Guy would make some Top 5/10 lists. I am sure I am missing lots of good dogs. Might be worth a thread of its own.

Maybe #4, after Snoopy, Lassie, and Scooby. Seems like a good spot for Krypto, although he is personally my #1.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Two open questions about Krypto:

1) Krypto is an alien, but to what earth - breed of dog is he closest?

The easy answer is "generic mutt", but I'm hoping some folks wiser about dog breeds can give their two cents.

2) Where does Krypto rank in the pantheon of fictional dogs? Top 5? Top 10?

I know he is not Top 1, because that spot belongs to Snoopy from Peanuts. And I guess Lassie is right behind that beagle. Old Yeller just has the one story, but EVERYONE knows of it. Disney's Pluto gets a spot strictly by fame (I refuse to consider Goofy as a dog). Scooby-Doo is way up there too. Brian from Family Guy would make some Top 5/10 lists. I am sure I am missing lots of good dogs. Might be worth a thread of its own.

Maybe #4, after Snoopy, Lassie, and Scooby. Seems like a good spot for Krypto, although he is personally my #1.
    i think he may appear (unfortunatelly) in the top 20 simply because he lacks stories when compared to other pets in the entertainment industry despite him being an iconic char in the mythos, he was rarely used

He looks like a pitbull terrier mix from the way Alex Ross draws him. Of course, as a cartoon dog they probably don't pay a whole lot of attention to making him look exactly like one dog. Snoopy and Scooby don't really allow for artistic license so they stay the same no matter where you look.

I think Krypto could overtake Lassie. I mean, that show is extremely old. A lot of people will still remember it as a basic pop culture reference without knowing anything at all otherwise, or having not watched the show in years if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    i think he may appear (unfortunatelly) in the top 20 simply because he lacks stories when compared to other pets in the entertainment industry despite him being an iconic char in the mythos, he was rarely used

I'm sure there is a Greatest Fictional Dogs List somewhere out there.

Let me just check to see where they rank Krypto ...

Are. You. Kidding.

Fifty-fricking-Eight.

Two spots ahead of Scrappy Doo.

Ok, that list is bogus, as I see the rankings were determined by a small sample of votes and not careful criteria.

Top 20 I can still buy.

But out of the Top 50? No way.

Even the brainless Odie (from Garfield) is ranked higher than Krypto!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-11-2017 at 07:50 AM.

Preach on, Clark!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-11-2017 at 07:49 AM.

I watched the Krypto cartoon when I was a kid. It was probably the first piece of Superman related media that I was exposed to.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman