Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Sort of embarrassed.

Invincible Member

Leif Garrett and Shawn Cassidy were massive teen idols in the late 70's due to their TV appearances and bubble gum pop records. The song I normally associated with Leif was his version of "Runaround Sue". I'd forgotten about this slick disco song until very recently.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Sort of embarrassed.

Everyone loves Neil Diamond. Oh. Oh, oh.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Confession Time: I have never watched this movie start to finish all the way through. But of course I remember when this was constantly on MTV. I did think some of the celebrity cameos were kinda odd though. For instance Irene Cara made sense since she had a few pop songs during the early 80's as did Chevy Chase who was solo movie star and ( sorta) Al Franken ( him and Chevy were were friends of the stars). But adult Melissa Gilbert?

Famously Huey Lewis sued claiming this song ripped off "I Want a New Drug". He won $5 mil.
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-29-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Invincible Member

I haven't watched Footloose start to finish either, but I've probably seen 3/4 of it intermittently on broadcast TV over the years. What's funny about this is, this video is mostly Kevin Bacon ( and his stunt/dance double ) dancing in a barn to Kenny Loggins, but in the movie it's the same shots but set to a completely different song.

Boisterously Confused

Chuck Mangione is my jam.

Invincible Member

SCTV was a Canadian comedy sketch show from the late 70's early 80's. I think in most places in America it aired on local stations right after Sat Nite Live. Bob and Doug were the breakout characters from the show. The premise was they were a couple of not too swift brothers attempting to do a talk show but the topic would quickly derail because they were either drunk or simply distracted by something else. My understanding of how the sketch came about is that the Canadian version of the show originally ran 2 minutes longer than the American version and the producers were told by the network to fill the time with "Canadian" content. The actors were like, "Wait...the show's produced in Canada and the cast is all Canadian, how do we get more Canadian? Do they want a couple of guys in toques talking about back bacon?" So, yeah...the throw away sketch they did at the last minute and would frequently ad-lib became the most popular part of the show. Here's the novelty hit they did guest starring famous Canadian Geddy Lee from Rush

Speaking of SCTV, it's interesting that more folks don't talk about this show anymore seeing as the majority of the cast became really famous in American TV and film immediately after the show ended.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-27-2021 at 12:37 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    SCTV was a Canadian comedy sketch show from the late 70's early 80's. I think in most places in America it aired on local stations right after Sat Nite Live. Bob and Doug were the breakout characters from the show. The premise was they were a couple of not too swift brothers attempting to do a talk show but the topic would quickly derail because they were either drunk or simply distracted by something else. My understanding of how the sketch came about is that the Canadian version of the show originally ran 2 minutes longer than the American version and the producers were told by the network to fill the time with "Canadian" content. The actors were like, "Wait...the show's produced in Canada and the cast is all Canadian, how do we get more Canadian? Do they want a couple of guys in toques talking about back bacon?" So, yeah...the throw away sketch they did at the last minute and would frequently ad-lib became the most popular part of the show. Here's the novelty hit they did guest starring famous Canadian Geddy Lee from Rush

Speaking of SCTV, it's interesting that more folks don't talk about this show anymore seeing as the majority of the cast became really famous in American TV and film immediately after the show ended.
    I only saw the '70s version of the show once during that decade because I couldn't stay up late to watch it, but I was a big fan of the '80s one. That and The Uncle Floyd Show were my favorite comedy programs when I was in high school, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    . . . That and The Uncle Floyd Show were my favorite comedy programs when I was in high school, FWIW.
    Man, I haven't thought about The Uncle Floyd Show in ages!
    (I don't think I ever watched a complete episode, but I had seen bits and pieces here and there.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Man, I haven't thought about The Uncle Floyd Show in ages!
    (I don't think I ever watched a complete episode, but I had seen bits and pieces here and there.)
    The original version was on around 5 PM weekdays on New Jersey's WPTF (Channel 68). My brothers and I watched it religiously, despite it being lower than low budget.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Invincible Member

Confession: For years I never knew who sang this song or what the group look like. For a long time I thought the singer was white and imagined he looked like Donovan or something

Zero. Zero apologies!

Invincible Member

double post... I'll come up with a replacement later
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-13-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    My mom really liked this song.

Whenever I hear it, I go back to 40 yrs ago, Top 40 radio is on, I'm in the kitchen while she's doing whatever and she's like, "That's a cute song..."
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-13-2021 at 03:06 PM.