Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Couple of things...

It's sad to see Chris Farley joking about getting liquored up cuz he did die over his drinking and cocaine abuse...

And a few months ago, a popular conservative pundit was mocking SNL cuz they made the same point he made on a recent sketch and he was all, "Oh, the subversive SNL is talking common sense now..." And I was thinking, no one has thought of SNL as "edgy" since the early 80's. This bit is from the 90's and at least half these folks identify as either conservative or republican.

Invincible Member

Tiny Tim...

Invincible Member

Donny Osmond in the 80's

Invincible Member

So I guess in the early 2000's there was almost a Batman Broadway musical based on the Tim Burton movies. They even got some of the songs done. I clicked on it not expecting much, then I'm like "Isn't this part here the bridge from the 'Streets of Fire' movie theme song? Who wrote this anyway?" I look it up and it's JIM STEINMAN! Legendary songwriter for Meatloaf and tons of other artists. Now I wish we'd gotten that Batman play, not because I care about seeing the story but I would have loved to hear the songs with big budget arrangement and big voiced singers.

Invincible Member

Originally written by Paul Simon, the version that most people know is from Harpers Bizarre. And if I didn't know this was a real thing, I would have thought this was a parody. Liberace and "The Young Folk" doing a version on the Red Skelton show...

Invincible Member

Yakko, Wakko and Dot in "1968" sing the same song on "The Ed Sullivan Show"

Invincible Member

Like most people I know this song because of the Muppets. What I didn't know until fairly recently is that it was originally done for some obscure Italian sex-farce movie, "Svezia, inferno e paradiso,"...

Invincible Member

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Originally written by Paul Simon, the version that most people know is from Harpers Bizarre. And if I didn't know this was a real thing, I would have thought this was a parody. Liberace and "The Young Folk" doing a version on the Red Skelton show...

That may have been the whitest thing I have ever seen.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    That may have been the whitest thing I have ever seen.
    SNL actually spoofed this sort of thing ( where someone like Pat Boone would do say a Chuck Berry or Fats Domino song and completely blanderize it) back in the 70's. Ray Charles was the host and they did a skit where he's bothered by the fact that "The Young Caucasians" are going to cover What'd I Say

https://archive.org/details/saturday...aye-11-12-1977

The skit starts roughly around 23:20

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I love The Partridge Family. Especially their first three albums. At one time, I had about six of their cds.

David Cassidy was an underrated singer for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    SNL actually spoofed this sort of thing ( where someone like Pat Boone would do say a Chuck Berry or Fats Domino song and completely blanderize it) back in the 70's.
    And yet, one of Fats Domino's best-known hits, 1956's Blueberry Hill, was previously performed by white performers like the Glenn Miller Orchestra back in the 1940s.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And yet, one of Fats Domino's best-known hits, 1956's Blueberry Hill, was previously performed by white performers like the Glenn Miller Orchestra back in the 1940s.
    In my music library, I have versions of that song from, besides Fats (my mother still has her original '78) and Elvis, Miller, Gene Autry, and Louis Armstrong from the Forties. Having said that, my favorite is still the Fatman's.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?