Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Confession time: "unhip," "uncool" music you're embarrassed to admit liking.

Confession time! Unburden your musical souls!

What "unhip," "uncool" music are you embarrassed to admit liking, but can't help liking?

I admit I have a weakness for the music of the Carpenters, the siblings who, during the 1970s, recorded the most whitebread pop ever committed to record.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I'm not embarrassed by any music I like. But I guess Broadway show tunes would fit here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Wait a minute.

The Carpenters aren't hip?

I'm gonna need some time to reflect on this one.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Wait a minute.

The Carpenters aren't hip?

I'm gonna need some time to reflect on this one.
    They're so unhip that they're hip.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    They're so unhip that they're hip.

As one of the greatest philosophers of our time once said, "It's hip to be square."

BANNED

I still listen to this in the shower.

Music is a creative and artistic endeavor, it takes talent to play instruments, to write lyrics or to compose said music. That said they really shouldn't be held to a current set of standards of what is most cool. That said there is plenty music **** that Isn't cool so...

I have to follow behind the others that say Disco. It's more to do with liking 70s music as a whole than just Disco per se but that as close as I got (coughcough the occasional Hee-Haw coughcoughkackkackkcak.. ahem, whoo, scusme there...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    As one of the greatest philosophers of our time once said, "It's hip to be square."
    That's how people my age get to be cool. By not caring about the rules that govern so called hip behavior. People my age who do follow them are called posers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Confession time! Unburden your musical souls!

What "unhip," "uncool" music are you embarrassed to admit liking, but can't help liking?

I admit I have a weakness for the music of the Carpenters, the siblings who, during the 1970s, recorded the most whitebread pop ever committed to record.

WHAT? The Carpenters are no longer hip? No longer groovy? No longer swingin'? What dark, perverted future are we living in?

Besides, when it comes to liking things that are not hip (I don't think it's really hip to say hip anymore) nothing beats this

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...6&action=click

(Be warned. Set your volume on low- real low).
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

This one may be a little bit more controversial...Motley Crue "Too Young to Fall in Love". OK, so their album Shout At The Devil was extremely popular back in the early 80's but the band was also the target of a lot for venom from a variety of sources. Many people thought they symbolized what was wrong with mainstream hard rock/hair metal being a gimmicky no talent band known more for their partying and "bad boy" image than their songs. And at the time I agreed with much of the criticism. And even as a teenager I could see the hypocrisy of the "damaged goods"/slut shaming at the end of this video when at the time part of the Crue's imagine was that they've have sex with any girl on two legs.

However, the song has a cool drum beat, a catchy riff, and despite the dumb even to a teenager lyrics...an earworm chorus.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-27-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Perfect song for what it's trying to be...a slick well polished yet uplifting pop song.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Besides, when it comes to liking things that are not hip (I don't think it's really hip to say hip anymore) nothing beats this

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...6&action=click

(Be warned. Set your volume on low- real low).
    I just barely remember this being on TV.

it's Chumbawumba time! I get knocked down!

Last edited by Kirby101; 02-28-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Toxic is one of my "mains" when I do Karaoke.

Basically if you give me two Gin and Tonics, I will likely do:

Toxic - Britney Spears
    Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
    Lately - Steve Wonder

Three G&Ts:

Dammit - Blink 182
    Possum Kingdom - Toadies
    Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor version

"One of those nights":

Mack The Knife - Sinatra Style
    Interstate Love Song - STP
    Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
    Toxin is an awesome song, and one of the few that has crossed into genres that otherwise would be hostile to Britney's music, as there are heavy metal covers of it. STP is a favorite band of mine, though they kind of lost me after their third album. That Belinda Carlisle song is a favorite of mine as well.

Early Christina Aguilera was great. This song should have been a single imo:

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I have heard only one song of Nickelback. So, i did not know about that.
    Basically, generic rock riffs and non-subtle lyrics dressed up to be profound. Savin' Me, How You Remind Me, and Someday are favorites of mine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Boy George is my girlfriend.
    Karma Chameleon never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This one may be a little bit more controversial...Motley Crue "Too Young to Fall in Love". OK, so their album Shout At The Devil was extremely popular back in the early 80's but the band was also the target of a lot for venom from a variety of sources. Many people thought they symbolized what was wrong with mainstream hard rock/hair metal being a gimmicky no talent band known more for their partying and "bad boy" image than their songs. And at the time I agreed with much of the criticism. And even as a teenager I could see the hypocrisy of the "damaged goods"/slut shaming at the end of this video when at the time part of the Crue's imagine was that they've have sex with any girl on two legs

However, the song has a cool drum beat, a catchy riff, and despite the dumb even to a teenager lyrics...an earworm chorus.
    That video is pretty cringy, but Crue knew how to churn out catchy tunes. Have you checked out Vince Neil's first solo album? I would argue that it's one of the greatest hair metal records of all time.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Toxin is an awesome song, and one of the few that has crossed into genres that otherwise would be hostile to Britney's music, as there are heavy metal covers of it. STP is a favorite band of mine, though they kind of lost me after their third album. That Belinda Carlisle song is a favorite of mine as well.

Early Christina Aguilera was great. This song should have been a single imo:

Basically, generic rock riffs and non-subtle lyrics dressed up to be profound. Savin' Me, How You Remind Me, and Someday are favorites of mine, though.

Karma Chameleon never gets old.

That video is pretty cringy, but Crue knew how to churn out catchy tunes. Have you checked out Vince Neil's first solo album? I would argue that it's one of the greatest hair metal records of all time.
    I have not heard anything from the Vince Neil solo. I knew one existed but it seemed like as soon as I heard about it, he was back in the band.