Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    13,206

    Default Life is really a Jerry Springer Show.

    I used to think real life couldn't be like those episodes of Jerry Springer. That life would never be as wacky and silly of those fake episodes of Springer with couples fighting or some dude wanting to marry his horse.



    For you young kids who don't remember Jerry Springer given how the show slipped from being a real relevant deal ; the series back in mid 1990's became HOT trash TV for topics like "My Boyfriend won't stop watching Porn" or topics of guys dating cross dressers unknown to them. It was one of those shows that really was insane for its time and wild brawls. Once things got toned down and the world moved on from the wild antics of Springer the series limped on for another near 2 decades before ending last year.

    Here is a sample...





    Anyhow I never imagined I'd see this in real life. But man alive social media seems like a wild place for this now . Guys leaving their girlfriends , girls leaving their boyfriends , wild discussions of sex etc. Its like a wild Springer episode brought to life in weird ways. I never imagined I'd see this play out at times. But the last decade I have seen some wild stuff.

    Its why my mind was thinking after some latest wild debacle i have seen play out that , man this reminds me of something. Then it clicked as i was sitting here. Its Jerry Springer ! YES....Jerry Springer. He's somehow infected the world with trash TV and we see it now play out in real life !

    Can we put the genie back in bottle ? Or is it too late ? Has Jerry Springer infected the world and were now stuck ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

  2. #2
    Incredible Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    618

    Default

    I think its too late. The bar has been so lowered that trash becomes common place. I dont know if Jerry Springer is to blame or if its just the down fall of the human race as a whole. I always hated his show which is a shame because he is such a nice guy.

    I remeber a few years ago. It was winter and my friends and I had just gone sledding. We stopped off at a local Skyline Chili for dinner. Jerry Springer was there eating as well. He bought every ones meal and singed autographs and couldnt have been nicer.
    Its sad to know that such a smart nice guy will be known for such trash.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,196

    Default

    Life has always been Jerry Springer. Springer just put certain shameless people on TV, but they've always existed.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Life has always been Jerry Springer. Springer just put certain shameless people on TV, but they've always existed.
    Maybe. You've still got to question the morality in giving these people such a public forum to misbehave though. For a generation growing up and being exposed to these types of shows this will have seemed like acceptable and 'normal' behaviour.

    One of the most chilling aspects of the cult of Jerry Springer was it's ability to go forth and multiply. Here in the UK we had our own, possibly even more reprehensible, equivalent called The Jeremy Kyle Show. This show highlighted human behaviour and dysfunctional families at their absolute worst and the host, the aforementioned Jeremy Kyle, seemed to enjoy encouraging and antagonising different situations simultaneously. He seemed able to somehow walk that thin line between admonishing his guests' immoralities and playing off them at the same time. The show almost became a national embarrassment and highlighted modern Britain at it's worst. So exploitative was it that it was once described as 'human bear-baiting' by a judge. The show was cancelled recently after one of it's guests subsequently committed suicide. Whether this suicide was a direct consequence of appearing on the show or just a coincidence is not really known but it can't have helped.

    I'm pretty sure that there will be many other shows similar to Jerry Springer or Jeremy Kyle in many different parts of the world. It may be true that there have always been 'vulnerable' people for these shows to exploit but that doesn't mean that they should. Then again, maybe we also get the television that our viewing habits deserve.
    "I don't stand for anything. I just crusade against everything I don't stand for."

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    I know regarding the Jeremy Kyle show that a chunk of it was regularly faked. People have acknowledged arriving and being told to change into cheap looking tracksuits etc

  6. #6
    Swollen Member GOLGO 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Few things spring to mind:
    - Social media has made everyone 24/7 alert to the minutia of everyone's else's dysfunction.
    - The political divide has grown increasing fragmented & hostile to the other side.
    - Snowflakes getting easily triggered.
    - Feminism has steered women into their current trajectory & a lot of men are deciding not to play the traditional role games anymore.

    Clown world is just getting started. Let it fucking burn.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I know regarding the Jeremy Kyle show that a chunk of it was regularly faked. People have acknowledged arriving and being told to change into cheap looking tracksuits etc
    Oh, undoubtedly. I probably should also have mentioned that the show was occasionally accused of fakery. That guests were encouraged to change into shabby clothing and were then mocked onstage for their attire. There were also accusations of plying guests with alcohol before filming to lower their inhibitions and incidents like that. There's no doubt that the producers of the show were sometimes looking to play up to the 'chav' stereotype. I can guarantee that there will have been many occasions when such embellishment wasn't required though. That 'underclass' of society, and forgive me for sounding like a journalist from The Sun there, certainly exists.

    All of these 'tabloid talk shows' will have been occasionally exaggerated at times, with incidents being played up for dramatic license. Much of their audience will have been unaware of this though.
    "I don't stand for anything. I just crusade against everything I don't stand for."

  8. #8
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I think its too late. The bar has been so lowered that trash becomes common place. I dont know if Jerry Springer is to blame or if its just the down fall of the human race as a whole. I always hated his show which is a shame because he is such a nice guy.

    I remeber a few years ago. It was winter and my friends and I had just gone sledding. We stopped off at a local Skyline Chili for dinner. Jerry Springer was there eating as well. He bought every ones meal and singed autographs and couldnt have been nicer.
    Its sad to know that such a smart nice guy will be known for such trash.
    As someone born and raised near Cincinnati, I will vouch for the greatness of Skyline Chili.

    I'll vouch for early Springer as well. The Jerry Springer that was a newscaster, that delivered thoughtful commentary on current events, was quality. I guess he went for the money with his talk-show garbage.

  9. #9
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,110

    Default

    To add my two cents worth (factoring for inflation), all Springer did was find (or create) a niche and filled it, giving the lowest common denominator of society a public forum to act like the classless morons they are with little to no repercussion. It could be argued those knuckledraggers spawned the legions of deplorables that represent Donald Trump's base since they act just like the fools in Springer's audience, cheering for idiots onstage to rip each other to shreds for their entertainment. Bread and circuses on steroids. Bottom line: If Springer hadn't come along with his freak show, chances are someone else would, and the world today would be no different.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-23-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Few things spring to mind:
    - Social media has made everyone 24/7 alert to the minutia of everyone's else's dysfunction.
    - The political divide has grown increasing fragmented & hostile to the other side.
    - Snowflakes getting easily triggered.
    - Feminism has steered women into their current trajectory & a lot of men are deciding not to play the traditional role games anymore.

    Clown world is just getting started. Let it fucking burn.
    Snowflake is a term used by those lacking empathy emulating and idolising a schizophrenic terrorist. Women are stepoing out of traditional gender roles and societal expectations so dinosaurs freak out and become incels.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Few things spring to mind:
    - Social media has made everyone 24/7 alert to the minutia of everyone's else's dysfunction.
    - The political divide has grown increasing fragmented & hostile to the other side.
    - Snowflakes getting easily triggered.
    - Feminism has steered women into their current trajectory & a lot of men are deciding not to play the traditional role games anymore.

    Clown world is just getting started. Let it fucking burn.
    This has always been a thing too, across the board. It's just that with social media, it's able to be hyped world wide in an instant.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Maybe. You've still got to question the morality in giving these people such a public forum to misbehave though. For a generation growing up and being exposed to these types of shows this will have seemed like acceptable and 'normal' behaviour.

    One of the most chilling aspects of the cult of Jerry Springer was it's ability to go forth and multiply. Here in the UK we had our own, possibly even more reprehensible, equivalent called The Jeremy Kyle Show. This show highlighted human behaviour and dysfunctional families at their absolute worst and the host, the aforementioned Jeremy Kyle, seemed to enjoy encouraging and antagonising different situations simultaneously. He seemed able to somehow walk that thin line between admonishing his guests' immoralities and playing off them at the same time. The show almost became a national embarrassment and highlighted modern Britain at it's worst. So exploitative was it that it was once described as 'human bear-baiting' by a judge. The show was cancelled recently after one of it's guests subsequently committed suicide. Whether this suicide was a direct consequence of appearing on the show or just a coincidence is not really known but it can't have helped.

    I'm pretty sure that there will be many other shows similar to Jerry Springer or Jeremy Kyle in many different parts of the world. It may be true that there have always been 'vulnerable' people for these shows to exploit but that doesn't mean that they should. Then again, maybe we also get the television that our viewing habits deserve.
    I'm pretty sure Jeremy Kyle brought his show to America for a short period of time.

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To add my two cents worth (factoring for inflation), all Springer did was find (or create) the niche and filled it, giving the lowest common denominator of society a public forum to act like the classless morons they are with little to no repercussion. It could be argued those knuckledraggers spawned the legions of deplorables that represent Donald Trump's base since they act just like the fools in Springer's audience, cheering for idiots onstage to rip each other to shreds for their entertainment. Bread and circuses on steroids. Bottom line: If Springer hadn't come along with his show, chances are someone else would, and the world today would be no different.
    No doubt. Many of the talk shows that were around when Springer was just getting started were already either shallow fluff or flirting with sensationalism. It just so happened that Jerry's show decided to drop the pretense and openly embrace vulgarity. But it's not like the audience for what he was selling didn't already exist. Stuff like Weekly World Reports and other tabloids had been published for decades.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    502

    Default

    LOL. My job brings me into contact with all manners of families and lifestyles that would fit right into Springer.

    For instance, there was a guy who I call John who was 22 and married to a 17 year old I call Jane. They had been married since Jane was 15. Obviously there are some apparent age issues here but the parents signed off Jane marrying so it was legal. John also liked Jane's 13 year old sister who I call Sue. John and Sue also began having sex and Jane was okay with it. However one day Jane walked in and found John in bed with Jane and Sue's mom. Jane was okay with John molesting her little sister but screwing her mom was a no go. So she called the cops and John went to jail.

    Moral of the story: its okay to molest my little sister but you can't screw my mom.

  15. #15
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    13,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    LOL. My job brings me into contact with all manners of families and lifestyles that would fit right into Springer.

    For instance, there was a guy who I call John who was 22 and married to a 17 year old I call Jane. They had been married since Jane was 15. Obviously there are some apparent age issues here but the parents signed off Jane marrying so it was legal. John also liked Jane's 13 year old sister who I call Sue. John and Sue also began having sex and Jane was okay with it. However one day Jane walked in and found John in bed with Jane and Sue's mom. Jane was okay with John molesting her little sister but screwing her mom was a no go. So she called the cops and John went to jail.

    Moral of the story: its okay to molest my little sister but you can't screw my mom.
    Thankfully its nothing as bad as this I have seen. The most I see are men and women jumping from relationship to relationship. All while creating chaos .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •