Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That's plenty of cool and plenty of hip music there. I've turned a side eye at quite a bit of entries here but some of this is timeless cool.
    Sometimes what's cool in one crowd is uncool in another. When my mother was in secondary school, her classmates would listen to punk and underground rock, but my mom was a soul girl. In the crowds she'd normally hang with, not many folks liked to listen to the Chi-Lites or the Manhattans. She did like hardrock though.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Sometimes what's cool in one crowd is uncool in another. When my mother was in secondary school, her classmates would listen to punk and underground rock, but my mom was a soul girl. In the crowds she'd normally hang with, not many folks liked to listen to the Chi-Lites or the Manhattans. She did like hardrock though.
    And the funny thing is that many early punk and garage musicians were HUGE soul fans. They took some influences from the genre, too.

Here, for example, is a song that is on a few soul compilations but would be at home with some "roots of punk" collections as well:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Or did you know that "Hang On Sloopy" war originally a soul song called My Love Sloopy?

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Speaking of Marie....

Me and Ms. Osmond from March 1982 when she came to Philly for a charity event. Ahhh, such a wonderful moment for me since I had a huge crush on her at the time!
    That woman ages like fine wine. Lets get drunk!

Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne Heard it on a "classic rock" station after 20+years. I faintly remember the song's melody but it really caught my ear this time around. I think it's a beautiful, bittersweet song that rings true for many people that listen to the subject matter.

Wonderful song.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    David Naughton! Remember "American Werewolf in London" and the Dr Pepper commercials ( wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?)...this is the theme to the TV show he had briefly.

OMG! I haven't heard that one for like 35 years.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Did they use an old Greta Garbo movie for that clip? Looks like maybe Anna Karenina
    I honestly don't know.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Invincible Member

This is right around the time that Madonna was just starting to be taken "seriously" by some rock critics. Her singing had gotten better, the songs were catchier and better produced...and while provocative, she was obviously the one in control of her image and career at this point.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.

I don't care what anyone says. This song is amazing.

Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Invincible Member

Amy Grant was a Christian singer who crossed over into the pop charts in the late 80's/early 90's. She actually brought a lawsuit against Marvel Comics because artist Jackson Guice used her image for the cover of a Dr Strange comic, and Amy wasn't wasn't happy seeing as the comic dealt with the occult.

Invincible Member

Ultimate Member

Not at all embarassed of my man Andreas but I don't think the harp has been "hip" since the Middle Ages.

Could never be ashamed of this dude though -- he's like a musical Bob Ross.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-05-2018 at 09:56 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

This is actually a terrific love song if you take away the histrionic singing and the over-the-top orchestral backing from the chorus and final verses. Imagine this performed with only an acoustic guitar for instrumental support and with a more restrained vocal.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Amy Grant was a Christian singer who crossed over into the pop charts in the late 80's/early 90's. She actually brought a lawsuit against Marvel Comics because artist Jackson Guice used her image for the cover of a Dr Strange comic, and Amy wasn't wasn't happy seeing as the comic dealt with the occult.
    I wonder if Amy would have been OK with it if it had just been a garden variety Spidey vs. Dr. Octopus punch-up.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

This is right around the time that Madonna was just starting to be taken "seriously" by some rock critics. Her singing had gotten better, the songs were catchier and better produced...and while provocative, she was obviously the one in control of her image and career at this point.

Hey, another clip by Jean-baptists Mondino!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !