Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 618
  1. #91
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    OK...there's not enough embarrassment in this thread. Time to pull out the Big Guns.



    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That's not that big of a gun.

    You ever try to stall at a McDonald's drive thru when you realized that Toad The Wet Sprocket was playing?

    That is one you should have to hang your head over. You can't even play it off like you can in a grocery store.

  2. #92
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,083

    Default

    Here's one I'm usually on the fence about...

    The singles from Whitney Houston and/or Whitney... Do those singles actually make it to "I Should Not Be Embarrassed About That I Don't Turn It When These Come On"?

  3. #93
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Amateurs, all of you. I unironically love this woman's early music:

    Last edited by Venomous Mask; 02-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

  4. #94
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    She was actually pretty talented, but, yeah, the cuchi-cuchi girl was a visual treat.
    Charo is in my top 10 female guitarists of all time, easily.

    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  5. #95
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Trivia, what movie was this song actually attached to?



    And as an extra nerd bonus, the girl in question is Amy Cooper, and if she takes his name, would also be the name of the female half of Shamy.
    I remember seeing that movie on ABC back in the '70s. Sandy Duncan was such a cutie.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  6. #96
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Charo is in my top 10 female guitarists of all time, easily.

    Yeah, her guitar playing was a revelation years to my brothers and me years ago. When she played, we actually kept her eyes on her fingers instead of the rest of her.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    I have no idea what is uncool or music which is not 'hip'. Even if i don't know i won't be embarrassed to admit it even when i know it. Every music becomes a product of its time and is quite subjective. I don't hear music as i once used to do. But i hear some from time to time.

    In India our music comes from the films. There does not exist a strong music industry separate from the films themselves. Maybe that's why i don't care for the new films in general. I don't care for their recent music with a few exceptions.

    I used to hear three things about a decade ago when i used to hear lot of music. Linkin Park, Backstreet Boys and Hilary Duff. If they are uncool then yes that counts except that i am not embarrassed to hear them. From them i can hear Linkin Park even today. Forget it i can hear some of the others even now.

    Of course i would hear a couple of things here and there but their work in general made up 90 percent of my playlist.

    I will have to think something that i don't hear any kind of praise (in my experience).



    I remember watching this video each time it played on TV, with great eagerness when Spider-man was coming for the first time. I loved it. I still like it. Admittedly nostalgia plays a part. Without Spider-man it would not have meant anything to me.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 04:57 AM.

  8. #98
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    I've had big crushes on both Debbie Gibson and Britney Spears at different stages of my life. I'd forgotten about Debbie Gibson's music though. That's the first time I've heard that song since I was around 14.

    I do remember scouring the various music video channels sometime around the millennium looking for this video though. I was old enough to know better but God she's so sexy in it:


  9. #99
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    I often get odd looks from people who don't know better when I declare my love for this group in public. This song, the greatest pure pop song ever composed, nevertheless pigeon-holes the group a little falsely.



    a-ha were a one hit wonder over in the States. That certainly wasn't the case around the rest of the world though where their success continued well into the 90's. They still have a large following even today. I've been a big fan ever since I heard this song aged 11. I get weird looks as this song misrepresents them a little. a-ha were genuine musicians and went on to create more thoughtful music in their career. Pure pop songs the likes of 'Take On Me' are very rare in their catalogue. It was their biggest hit though and defines them in a lot of peoples eyes.

    I'm overwhelmingly Classic Rock and Metal focused most of the time. a-ha easily fit into my Top 10 favourite groups though.

  10. #100
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Charo is in my top 10 female guitarists of all time, easily.

    I rescind my post about her talents.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  11. #101
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Charo is in my top 10 female guitarists of all time, easily.

    So, where would she rank alongside the likes of Joan Jett, Nancy Wilson and Bonnie Raitt?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  12. #102
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, where would she rank alongside the likes of Joan Jett, Nancy Wilson and Bonnie Raitt?
    Different. Charo was a disciple of the great classical guitar master Andres Segovia. That's guitar-playing on an entirely different order.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 02-25-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  13. #103
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I've had big crushes on both Debbie Gibson and Britney Spears at different stages of my life. I'd forgotten about Debbie Gibson's music though. That's the first time I've heard that song since I was around 14.

    I do remember scouring the various music video channels sometime around the millennium looking for this video though. I was old enough to know better but God she's so sexy in it:
    That's a good song. I'm really not a big fan of her stuff past in In The Zone.

    I'll admit, I really like Pink's early rnb stuff:



    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I have no idea what is uncool or music which is not 'hip'. Even if i don't know i won't be embarrassed to admit it even when i know it. Every music becomes a product of its time and is quite subjective. I don't hear music as i once used to do. But i hear some from time to time.

    In India our music comes from the films. There does not exist a strong music industry separate from the films themselves. Maybe that's why i don't care for the new films in general. I don't care for their recent music with a few exceptions.

    I used to hear three things about a decade ago when i used to hear lot of music. Linkin Park, Backstreet Boys and Hilary Duff. If they are uncool then yes that counts except that i am not embarrassed to hear them. From them i can hear Linkin Park even today. Forget it i can hear some of the others even now.

    Of course i would hear a couple of things here and there but their work in general made up 90 percent of my playlist.

    I will have to think something that i don't hear any kind of praise (in my experience).
    Love that Chad Kroeger song, though Nickelback's stuff rapidly became insufferable after about 2003.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

  14. #104
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,610

    Default

    Anything by Van McCoy.

    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  15. #105
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Anything by Van McCoy.

    I didn't mind learning to dance to The Hustle with the girls from my grade at our school dances.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •