Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Well, since we're bearing our souls here..this...this..was my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Charo is in my top 10 female guitarists of all time, easily.

Wow damn, shout out to you PB. I just old enough to remember as a kid, how often this woman made appearances on Network television in the late 70s through the mid 80s. I had always felt they were mostly goofing on her at times until I saw her play.

I also always found a woman playing a guitar extremely hot and I guess, faced with this now that I go back in the memory banks, part of that seed started with Charo.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

More from the "Artiste Generally Not Embarrassing, But Some Of Their Most Popular Songs Might Be Department."

Having been a teen in the late 1980s, I was of the generation that made up the bulk of the Cure's fans, but I wasn't very much into the Cure at the time (discovered their work much, much later). Embarrassingly, my favorite song of theirs remains the one that the band and their hardcore fans are likely most embarrassed about:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I only know that one and "Love Cats."
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

I wish I had something really deep and thoughtful to say about Bananarama but all I can say is that I like this song and "Cruel Summer". This video is pretty entertaining for it's camp appeal and er...oiled up dudes.

I only know that one and "Love Cats."
    I'm not embarrassed at all to say that this is my favourite version :

About The Cure I would highly recommend the 1980's cold wave classic album Seventeen Seconds - especially A Forest and In your house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsh3Xe2Jy7E
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

My favourite song in that great album by Paul Anka may be the Billy Idol's cover:

It's a bit more embarrassing choice than the cover of Smell Like Teen Spirit, I guess - but I'm still perfectly ok with that.

Now a more shameful one. I have issues with French music usually and with many things produced in the 80s in general - and not only in France. (Les Rita Mitsouko being an exception).

Can I admit that I love this song?

The video clip directed by Mondino was the first French one on MTV!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Now a more shameful one. I have issues with French music usually and with many things produced in the 80s in general - and not only in France. (Les Rita Mitsouko being an exception).

Can I admit that I love this song?

The video clip directed by Mondino was the first French one on MTV!
    French music videos were a little more risqué, weren't they?

I have a vague memory of a cute French guy singing in a big meadow of flowers in torn jeans.... Late 80s or early 90s. Does that ring a bell?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

I wish I had something really deep and thoughtful to say about Bananarama but all I can say is that I like this song and "Cruel Summer". This video is pretty entertaining for it's camp appeal and er...oiled up dudes.
    Just do not get this thread.

Bananarama were perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just do not get this thread.

Bananarama were perfectly fine.
    Not this era. The first album was fine. This is from after Siobhan left to form Shakespeare's Sister to be replaced with whatsherface, and Stock Aitken Waterman turned them into just another bubblegum act that sounded like all their other acts.

Hillary was right!

Need to add that the girl in the clip by Mondino is the singer/model/actress/writer Viktor Lazlo (Sonia Dronier).

While her first hits in France were somehow terrible - try canoe rose or her French version of Cry me a river - she's quite talented :

Last edited by Abe; 02-27-2018 at 01:56 AM.

French music videos were a little more risqué, weren't they?

I have a vague memory of a cute French guy singing in a big meadow of flowers in torn jeans.... Late 80s or early 90s. Does that ring a bell?
    Found him!
    Not the greatest singer, but sure easy on the eyes. This isn't the video I meant, though. Will keep digging.

Hillary was right!

Not this era. The first album was fine. This is from after Siobhan left to form Shakespeare's Sister to be replaced with whatsherface, and Stock Aitken Waterman turned them into just another bubblegum act that sounded like all their other acts.
    Politely as possible, I believe you are mistaken.

"I Heard A Rumor" was the first single off an album called Wow!.

Siobhan was absolutely in the band at the time, and is the blond with bangs who is wearing biker shorts when the entire band is wearing black in the above video. She is to "Our" right, and you can see her very plainly at about 1:53.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely as possible, I believe you are mistaken.

"I Heard A Rumor" was the first single off an album called Wow!.

Siobhan was absolutely in the band at the time, and is the blond with bangs who is wearing biker shorts when the entire band is wearing black in the above video. She is to "Our" right, and you can see her very plainly at about 1:53.
    Ah, this might be from before she left because she hated the Stock/Aitken/Waterman sound so much, then. I apologize.

Edit: Yeah, she left right after "Wow."
    They are planning to tour together again, though.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 02-27-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Hillary was right!