View Poll Results: Do You Agree With Recent Changes to the Batwoman Character?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 34.62%
  • No

17 65.38%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Sure, I guess, but I also don't think I'm clear on what you're interpreting that take as, only that you think it's wrong.
    That his keeping secrets like that and being involved in something like the Colony has very little, if any, precedent based upon what came before. It was a plot twist that casts a shadow over everything that came before, without offering much in return. Kate is still who she always was, but now she has one less character in her already small supporting circle.

IMO the retcon completely recontextualizes her relationship with her father and as a result the entirety of her previous series. It now happened under false pretense.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I’m not really horrified by Bruce, Kate, and Bette being cousins, but it does recontexualize things.

I enjoyed Kate’s initial adventures with Renee Montoya, Bette, Jacob, her stepmother, the DEO and the esoteric - Beth and the other villains. The Religion of Crime and Crime Bible we’re unique and something Kate could “own” (e.g. her own League of Assassins), but we only ever scratched the surface of what it could be. Wasted potential. <shoulder shrug>

I hate that they made Jacob a villain. They took a complex narrative with their history and potential stories and squandered it with lackluster evil parent meshugaas. The Colony is an okay idea to explore, given Kate’s military background, but it never should have been organized and led by Jacob.

I’m all for bringing back and exploring Batwoman and Flamebird (I don’t recognize Hawkfire, because YEEESH) as a duo in contrast to Batman and Robin, as well as developing the Religion of Crime more and her connections to the DEO (a handy way to bring in the DCU at large occasionally.) More interesting and unique costumed villains like Alice would also be greatly appreciated.

I enjoy when Batwoman, Flamebird, Nightwing, Batgirl, Catwoman, one of the Robins, Spoiler, etc. go up against a known, classic Batfoe from time to time (because FUN), but Bat editorial needs to focus on developing as many captivating personal foes for the heroes as they can.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I like your post because it goes to what should have been the truth:

Kate and Bruce are more distantly related than 1st cousin. This is a crucial distinction, but as you say, most people would barely know a third cousin. I've never heard from my own 2nd cousins (children of two cousins) since the late '70s, goodness.

Its the Jewish split as you theorize, I'm sure. However they got there, they certainly must have. I think with cousins/once-twice removed - or - 2nd or 3rd cousins - - - --- or any combination of those, would certainly be confusing to most people. I hope this can be addressed soon.

I honestly think at the end of the day, that Kate is fine with ALL of her backstory, as it seems to stand. She should resolve or forward the plots with her father, perhaps with her own cast [YES to Bette and Flamebird] and find the balance

between the semi eerie stuff and the black ops, noir and spyish sort of stuff.

I think it is important to mention that Kate plays very well off of strong DC female characters, such as Wonder Woman in the first series proved. This should certainly be considered.

It's okay if Batwoman is canceled again after #20 or whatever a poster said, because she will, inevitably come back. She is unique, and her dynamic with other characters, both her cast - all, past and present - and others, guest or antagonist, is prickly and mostly cautious and questioning.

She throws off almost everyone. Her father even. She was honed and trained, but her traumas are always there not quite synched but semi-permeable.

At times thinking or caring about her story is painful and I guess I'm glad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    lackluster evil parent meshugaas
    A word you don't see very often on these boards! I love it!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I hate that they made Jacob a villain. They took a complex narrative with their history and potential stories and squandered it with lackluster evil parent meshugaas. The Colony is an okay idea to explore, given Kate’s military background, but it never should have been organized and led by Jacob.

I’m all for bringing back and exploring Batwoman and Flamebird (I don’t recognize Hawkfire, because YEEESH) as a duo in contrast to Batman and Robin, as well as developing the Religion of Crime more and her connections to the DEO (a handy way to bring in the DCU at large occasionally.)
    Man, I really like Hawkfire. She's not quite as cool as Flamebird, but I thought it was a nice storyarc and decent costume design.

I really think Jake isn't a villain, though. He's done questionable things - but it's Batman. Everyone has. He's never used his power for personal gain or personal cruelty.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It's been too easy for me to accept Jacob as having been "up to something" all along. I can see where others think its hack or trite writing.

I'm kind of used to these kind of soap-operetic twists.
    Needless to say I guess I do see more merit in his previous portrayals, because they actually were good.
    Is it possible that since Jacob is being written a bit out of character, it may mean yet another twist somewhere.