All-New Member

Default Mike Phillips Hellboy Eassy

I have been taking to Mike Phillips he is Editor-in-Chief of Sequential Org. and looking after a Hellboy Essay book. He contacted me about volunteering to proofread it which I would have done happily. Than he changed his mind and decided not to let me do so. He give no reason for this. I love being able to do things like this. The President of Sequential Org. Julian Darius said he would let me do so but Mike told him no. No reason given at all.
    Why send me the email to do so if he had no intention of letting me do so. He is the most unprofessional person I have ever met in the comic book industry. He does not keep his word, he is unreliable and lies outright. He has a God complex. If you ever have anything to do with him be warned.
    I wish I had never heard of him.

Richard Vasseur

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

I would suggest proofreading your own posts before submitting them. Especially a post about proofreading.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if an author or editor is seeking someone to catch mistakes in their work, your example here, if representative of past writings, may have led him to look elsewhere. There is a collection of essays concerning Hellboy that came out in 2006 I believe, and it is full of grammatical errors. It’s an interesting read, but the overwhelming amount of mistakes within its pages reduces it to a near amateur level of the very thing it professes to be.
    Last edited by Junior Wormwood; 02-25-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Fantastic Member

Sorry mate, but I don’t really agree with you here. You say he contacted you about volunteering to proof read something, and then changed his mind, possibly because Mike told him no. Sounds completely reasonable to me.

To be absolutely honest, it sounds like you think this fella bases all of his decisions around how you might feel, when he’s very clearly got much more important things going on in his life than satisfying your love of proofreading essays. Doesn’t sound like the behaviour of someone with a God complex.

Also, this isn’t really a place for you to air your gripes. We come here for a good time. We don’t want you polluting up the place with this unnecessary and irrelevant nonsense. You’re also violating forum rules by insulting the guy.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 02-25-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Well, I don't know you nor do I know Mike Phillips, but I do know you came on here to knock someone down which is not great really
    We don't know the full circumstances, nor do we know his side of the story. And I have a gut feeling there is a side to his story.

Sorry you feel so aggrieved by what happened, but like Zero says, not really the appropriate place to come vent. And we don't know you, I don't tend to take random stranger on the internet's views as gospel, sorry

Also, if I were Mike and I had been corresponding with you to get help editing a document, I'd be a wee bit wary you don't use any punctuation besides a full stop in your paragraphs. Maybe he changed his mind?
    Maybe he wasn't happy with the correspondence, had concerns, but was really too nice to spell them out?

He's writing an essay not ruling a small continent, it's not a god complex turning someone down to help edit after initially asking them for help, sorry to break it to you

There is too much unknown to jump onto the pitchfork party and rally around you to burn his house down. I hope you find other stuff to focus on, positive stuff. Good luck!

Curious - 4 posts and registered in 2006?
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.

Why resurrect a thread that has been dead for over 2 years?

It was resurrected a few days ago by a new member whose post has subsequently been removed.
    "Deep down underneath it all, I have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar, on my desk." - Robert Bloch

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Why resurrect a thread that has been dead for over 2 years?
    I'm no necromancer
    I replied along with someone else, didn't even pay attention to the initial post date. And yeah, looks like the person who resurrected it has gone. Sorry!

But let's be honest, am I one to do silly stuff usually?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Tim View Post
    It was resurrected a few days ago by a new member whose post has subsequently been removed.
    Well, that explains the mystery! Was it really a new member or spambot?

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Well, that explains the mystery! Was it really a new member or spambot?
    Honestly, I couldn't tell ya.

It was a short response thanking the OP, which is what led me to believe that it was an actual person. But who knows?
    "Deep down underneath it all, I have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar, on my desk." - Robert Bloch

I find all this interesting because I was a contributor to a Hellboy volume published by Sequart, and while there was a delay in getting it to press, ultimately it was released (with cover art approved for use by Mignola).

OOo! I knew about this book (https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...hellboys-world) didn't know about your one Grog.
    So is it a good read? More academic or more aimed at general (comic-reading) public?

I would say it is somewhere between the academic world and the general comic book/HB fan community. At least, that was our target of accessibility.