View Poll Results: Would you buy some recurring minis?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 66.67%
  • No

2 8.33%
  • Unsure / No oOpinion

6 25.00%
    BANNED

Default Poll on recurring minis

http://community.comicbookresources....g-minis-for-DC

We had a good discussion a while back about DC launching a line of recurring minis, maybe to be called DC Specials or something like that. Now let's see some numbers as to how many of you would regularly support this line of comics by buying them.

That would totally be if there is characters, writers or artists I really care so I said unsure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    That would totally be if there is characters, writers or artists I really care so I said unsure.
    As I said in that thread, any character who can't seem to carry an ongoing should get a chance in them.

Some of the artists can come from among people who are too slow to draw an ongoing or who just want to draw an occasional story as a side job. You could use some older writers who are not active in the industry but who still have an occasional story to tell. You could also try out some writers from the indies.

BANNED

Recurring minis?
    Isn't that just a regular ongoing with an irregular schedule?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Recurring minis?
    Isn't that just a regular ongoing with an irregular schedule?
    As I said in that thread, there would be a 10-month interval between the stories, and each story would be numbered 1-4. That would keep them fresh.

If a character or a team can't sell a comic in that format, then it's never going to happen. But they should all get a chance.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-09-2018 at 08:45 AM.

I would dig it.

I would rather have regular mini series' than nothing.

Also, in my 4+ decades of reading comics, I have never understood the stigma mini series have. Hel, most books have been glorified minis my whole life anyway.
    Batman - Daredevil

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    As I said in that thread, there would be a 10-month interval between the stories, and each story would be numbered 1-4.
    Sound like a regular ongoing with art from Frank Quitely all right.

Would depend on character and the creative team, like everything else.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This should be the ideal situation for characters or creators who dont have the time (or ability) to maintain a monthly schedule. Say...Ryan Sook on a Warlord mini series if it were something he wanted to do. As for would I support, as always it comes down to the characters I care about or creators I have a strong interest in. If it were say Vigilante probably not. If it were a Vigilante mini series by Christopher Priest, I might give it a hard consideration. Fire & Ice by Kelly Sue DeConnick...instant sell.
    I think characters like Black Canary, Zatanna, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Wonder Girl, Vixen are all characters who could fall into this type of publication.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Yeah, why not?

That's pretty much how I saw the whole DCYou initiative a couple of years ago anyway. There was no way that some of those 'on-goings' were gonna last more than a year maximum.

It would ultimately depend on the make-up of them in terms of characters and creative teams.

DC You is a great example. I would have been more inclined to pick up something like Prez as a mini than an ongoing. As an ongoing it had "cancellation" written all over it. Concept sounded interesting, but I immediately thought "oh no, I'm not falling for this! I'll get caught up in the story and then it will be abruptly cancelled with no real ending or resolution".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    DC You is a great example. I would have been more inclined to pick up something like Prez as a mini than an ongoing. As an ongoing it had "cancellation" written all over it. Concept sounded interesting, but I immediately thought "oh no, I'm not falling for this! I'll get caught up in the story and then it will be abruptly cancelled with no real ending or resolution".
    I think Prez was planned like that. One mini and then the issues 6-12 was the second.

Same with Doomed & Green Lantern Lost Army. They were both written like 12 issue series with 2 sets of arcs but never made it.

We had a good discussion a while back about DC launching a line of recurring minis, maybe to be called DC Specials or something like that. Now let's see some numbers as to how many of you would regularly support this line of comics by buying them.
    If it means trolls on youtube who HATE certain characters and entitlement fans who try to rally hate for certain characters-will be SILENCED. Go for it.

You can't rally hate for a Duke Thomas series if he is only going to have 6 issues.

It should force DC to look at pitches for MANY versus the same set of bozos every month.

Maybe this could get certain lanterns free from a certain book.

I could get into it if it has a television "series" or "season" vibe, of course depending on the characters focused on, story and plot ideas, and creative teams.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I would dig it.

I would rather have regular mini series' than nothing.

Also, in my 4+ decades of reading comics, I have never understood the stigma mini series have. Hel, most books have been glorified minis my whole life anyway.
    I think one of the big factors that gave mini series such a bad name was that both DC and Marvel used to put new writers and artists or writers way past their prime on them instead of A list talent. There were so many just bad mini series that people started seeing them as just a dumping ground for talent the big two were trying out. Once in a while you would get a really great mini, but more common than not the books would not be that good.

BANNED

So that the writers could tell good stories within four issues, decompression in the minis would have to go. But it ought to go anyway.