Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Single best (under-rated) Batman story arc?

ok, so we all know how good Killing Joke, Year one, Dark knight Returns etc. are but what are your top rated - least appreciated - story arcs/graphic novels/ one off issues.

I've read most of the milestones but other than that my DK knowledge is severely lacking.

Thanks in advance

the two parts Legends Of The Dark Knight story Masks is simply incredible.

Honestly it depends on what kind of Bat-story you like. There are tons of great bat-stories, but your mileage may vary (just as it often does with many with the milestones). Which stories that you have read do you like the best?

For instance, Batman: Year 100 by Paul Pope is an amazing, off-beat story. And either of Matt Wagner's Dark Moon Rising stories (retelling of golden age stories so they fit between Year One and The Long Halloween) are absolutely great. As is Peter Milligan's Dark Knight, Dark City. All very different stories in different styles, but it comes down to preference.

So what's your favorite Batman story/stuff?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

*unashamedly steals Naked Bat's text* The three part Legends Of The Dark Knight story Blades by Roger Robinson and Tim Sale is fantastic. It's a classic 'reverse Batman' style story about a man trying to good but forced into a bad situation. Legends of the Dark Knight #32-34.

A personal favorite of mine is Ecstasy by Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle. It's a small story about a man driven mad by drugs. Also, Joe Potato (private eye, makes potato jokes). Detective Comics #594. One of the first back-issues I got and still a favourite.

Prey is a new introduction to Hugo Strange and is a superb story. It explains his fascination with Batman well, and gives him a real psychological challenge. Legends Of The Dark Knight #11-15.

Misfits by Alan Grant and Tim Sale tell the story of a group of D-list (and lower) Batman enemies trying to take a stab at the big time. Shadow of the Bat #7-9.

That's just of the top of my head. Pretty much anything by Rucca or Brubaker is gold.

BANNED

The Batman stories by Alan Brennert are all great, in particular "The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne", "Interlude on Earth-2", "To Kill a Legend", and "Holy Terror"

Bunch of great recomendations here guys- thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    the two parts Legends Of The Dark Knight story Masks is simply incredible.
    ..haven't read this.cool - will check it out same with

Quote Originally Posted by PastTenseOfDraw View Post

Batman: Year 100 by Paul Pope is an amazing, off-beat story. And either of Matt Wagner's Dark Moon Rising stories
    I've read "Year One" "The Long Halloween" and "Dark Knight, Dark City." along with about a dozen other kinda key ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PastTenseOfDraw View Post
    So what's your favorite Batman story/stuff?
    I'm ultimately looking for stories that stand on their own without too much requirement to read round about them- or that messes with the canon too much.

"The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne" sounds good.
    Last edited by SuperheroMethod; 07-19-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I haven't read it in a long time, and I'm not sure how over or under-appreciated it is, but I loved 'Gothic' by Grant Morrison.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I haven't read it in a long time, and I'm not sure how over or under-appreciated it is, but I loved 'Gothic' by Grant Morrison.
    It's definitely the least well-known of his Batman work, but I'm pretty sure it routinely pops up in "top 20/25 Batman stories" lists.

Batman Year 100 for a great work that doesn't get nearly as much credit as it should.

Dark Knight Dark City is loved by everyone who's heard of it, it's just that those people are a small number. Likewise the Strange Apparations run.

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    *unashamedly steals Naked Bat's text* The three part Legends Of The Dark Knight story Blades by Roger Robinson and Tim Sale is fantastic. It's a classic 'reverse Batman' style story about a man trying to good but forced into a bad situation. Legends of the Dark Knight #32-34.
    My pick too.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    It's definitely the least well-known of his Batman work, but I'm pretty sure it routinely pops up in "top 20/25 Batman stories" lists.

Batman Year 100 for a great work that doesn't get nearly as much credit as it should.

Dark Knight Dark City is loved by everyone who's heard of it, it's just that those people are a small number. Likewise the Strange Apparations run.
    Looks like Batman year 100 is pulling ahead Will add "Gothic" to my list as well.

Any bronze age recommendations?

Batman Prey is a good story with Hugo Strange. Dark, intelligent and with a psychological bite. Hugo Strange is overlooked as a villain he adds a very interesting psychological edge to the Batman villains. He is upset with Batman he wants to be Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post
    My pick too.

It is okay but the cliche "Gotham is mine" is kind of redundant.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 07-22-2014 at 07:39 AM.

BANNED

Hush for sure.

BANNED

...seriously, though, I'd submit the Nine Lives OGN. Batman told in noir fashion, alternate universe stuff. Definitely underrated.

The Joker graphic novel is also really good and not talked about enough.

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is pretty damn cool too.

But you should really be watching the 75 Greatest Batman Stories CBR has going right now, I've picked up a lot of reading list stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    But you should really be watching the 75 Greatest Batman Stories CBR has going right now, I've picked up a lot of reading list stuff there.
    Cool will check this out. Read Hush- liked it a lot (for introducing a newer villain)

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post
    My pick too.

This, and I'll also mention Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's "The Last Arkham" and "The Mudpack", as well as Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy's (with exquisite coloring by Terry Austin) "Prey." I'm also very partial to "The Golem Of Gotham" from Peter Milligan and Jim Aparo's criminally-short run on Detective Comics.
    CURRENTLY READING: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Descender, I Hate Fairyland, Paper Girls, Saga, Royal City, Goldie Vance, Dept. H, Black Hammer, Afterlife With Archie, Kaijumax, Super Sons