Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I think you can't see how focussed toward this happening you are,and it's ok to want things,hell I want Kon in everything all the time,but I admit it.
    Come on now, you're not gonna sit here and tell me what I want and don't, that's just ridiculous. At best, I think the possibility of this happening would be the most interesting thing about them deciding to go with the New 52-ish continuity. Other than the novelty of seeing a nearly shot for shot recreation of Death and Return of Superman, I don't care much for the animated adaptation of the story. Now that it's clear they aren't doing a nearly shot for shot animated movie similar to Dark Knight Returns, I find the whole thing to be not all that interesting. The idea of a strange new take on Jon coming out of this rather underwhelming news is just about the only thing that has me even a little interested. But even then, I'm not gonna lose any sleep if this doesn't come to pass.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-28-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Come on now, you're not gonna sit here and tell me what I want and don't, that's just ridiculous. At best, I think the possibility of this happening would be the most interesting thing about them deciding to go with the New 52-ish continuity. Other than the novelty of seeing a nearly shot for shot recreation of Death and Return of Superman, I don't care much for the animated adaptation of the story. Now that it's clear they aren't doing a nearly shot for shot animated movie similar to Dark Knight Returns, I find the whole thing to be not all that interesting. The idea of a strange new take on Jon coming out of this rather underwhelming news is just about the only thing that has me even a little interested. But even then, I'm not gonna lose any sleep if this doesn't come to pass.

Well we can certainly agree that low expectations are warranted now,UNLESS they come out with new info that shows us something more "faithful".

Any ideas of the time we will actually see anything more about this movie?

I actually want Jon to born at the end of this movie,AND have Kon take his rightful spot as one of the supermen.this is why I wish that this would be a movie based 10 years in the past.that way they can fast forward to the present with a 10 year old Jon becoming superboy and Kon going through the Geoff phase into the next one

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Well we can certainly agree that low expectations are warranted now,UNLESS they come out with new info that shows us something more "faithful".

I actually want Jon to born at the end of this movie,AND have Kon take his rightful spot as one of the supermen.this is why I wish that this would be a movie based 10 years in the past.that way they can fast forward to the present with a 10 year old Jon becoming superboy and Kon going through the Geoff phase into the next one
    Probably wonder con or when the next DC movie comes out

Think this is the Sneak Peek that comes with the next movie, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, out March 27.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Whenever someone goes "well, the story is too long to adapt" or "no adaptation was faithful" or whatever, I always point to that BBC radio play. They condensed it and made it 100% more faithful than "Superman: Doomsday". Even the video game was more faithful than "Superman: Doomsday".
    Heck yeah. Fistbump! I loved that BBC show...I had it on cassette as a kid, wore it out. Even at 35, I still listen to the CD occasionally (Fun fact: until recently, Stuart Milligan's Superman was the voice I heard whenever I read the character).

The Post-Crisis DCU was at an interesting point in 1992, with a lot of continuity that could be confusing for newer readers...and that BBC show managed to squeeze in absolutely everything you needed. Based on the initial announcement, I thought this was going to be like the 2-part Dark Knight Returns...a faithful adaptation, using the original designs, characters, and dialogue. 2 films at 70-75 minutes each meant there was PLENTY of room to put in everything you needed, just as the BBC show did. Red-headed Luthor II, "Don't Call Me Superboy!", the black suit, "No matter what happens...I'll always love you! Always.", and a bird tapping on Lois' window...room for everything. Going with the New 52 designs means it's now all up for grabs. We will get bald Lex (I guarantee it), a Clark/Lois relationship with no history, too much F'ing Batman & Friends fighting Doomsday, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made Henshaw the only destructor of Coast City to "streamline" it.

I know I'm probably overreacting, but dammit...this one, THIS one, was important to me. The Death/Return had an enormous impact on my impressionable self in 1992/93, and just when I thought I was FINALLY going to get it...they snatched it from me. Hell, at this point they could still tell the story beat for beat but I'd still be disappointed because of the New 52 designs. And that's not a knock on N52 Superman, his costume is one of my all-time favorite Superman suits. But this means that other characters will be different now. My favorite villain of all time, Cyborg Superman, will not look like he did when he first appeared now. He'll look more like the Zor-El version. Superboy won't have the leather jacket & 90's inspired costume & hair (not to mention his 90's dialogue), and...anyway, I'm ranting. This story is important to me, and now it still won't be done faithfully.

I was hoping for an out of continuity 2-parter...I guess I'll wait & see what happens.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah...although it made you play the same level four times
    If I had to choose replaying the levels vs. Lex making a clone for his "rumpus room sessions" in the movie, I'm playing the game.

BANNED

I'm gonna b optimistic and say this movie will be placed 11 years ago,he will fight,die,and return,and we will get our 4 Supermen.1 year after his return Jon will be born,and after that happy moment we will get pushed back to the present,where he wears the classic trunk suit,Jon is 10,Kon is frozen at 18 or so physically,and in his t-shirt and jeans.

That is how I would go,DC I'm sure will do the opposite ugh

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But, if I'm honest, making him a clone of Lois and Clark and evoking the ending of All Star Superman is actually clearer, and leaves us with far less to explain, so I'd get it if they did it this way. You know what I mean?
    That's not the ending of All Star Superman. In the movie, Lex gave Quintum a map of Superman's genetic code and told him that he figured out a way replicate that code but needed a ovum of a human woman. That's not creating a direct child of Lois and Clark. That is describing somatic cell nuclear transfer, in which you make a clone of someone using an blank ovum filled with the genetic information of one person. That is how Dolly the Sheep was made and Dolly was an identical genetic copy. Not a child of a donor. A clone of one person (or one animal if you're Barbra Streisand making clones of her dog).

A clone/copy/replica of just Superman makes sense because that was the whole point in the original story.....a Superman seemingly back from the dead thanks to the US government and working with the secret agency that created him.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 02-28-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'd rather they just naturally have Jon the normal means, so yeah, I hope that won't be the case.
    Yeah...Jon as the son of Lois and Clark is what he should be. But he shouldn't be in THIS story.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Heck yeah. Fistbump! I loved that BBC show...I had it on cassette as a kid, wore it out. Even at 35, I still listen to the CD occasionally (Fun fact: until recently, Stuart Milligan's Superman was the voice I heard whenever I read the character).

The Post-Crisis DCU was at an interesting point in 1992, with a lot of continuity that could be confusing for newer readers...and that BBC show managed to squeeze in absolutely everything you needed. Based on the initial announcement, I thought this was going to be like the 2-part Dark Knight Returns...a faithful adaptation, using the original designs, characters, and dialogue. 2 films at 70-75 minutes each meant there was PLENTY of room to put in everything you needed, just as the BBC show did. Red-headed Luthor II, "Don't Call Me Superboy!", the black suit, "No matter what happens...I'll always love you! Always.", and a bird tapping on Lois' window...room for everything. Going with the New 52 designs means it's now all up for grabs. We will get bald Lex (I guarantee it), a Clark/Lois relationship with no history, too much F'ing Batman & Friends fighting Doomsday, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made Henshaw the only destructor of Coast City to "streamline" it.

I know I'm probably overreacting, but dammit...this one, THIS one, was important to me. The Death/Return had an enormous impact on my impressionable self in 1992/93, and just when I thought I was FINALLY going to get it...they snatched it from me. Hell, at this point they could still tell the story beat for beat but I'd still be disappointed because of the New 52 designs. And that's not a knock on N52 Superman, his costume is one of my all-time favorite Superman suits. But this means that other characters will be different now. My favorite villain of all time, Cyborg Superman, will not look like he did when he first appeared now. He'll look more like the Zor-El version. Superboy won't have the leather jacket & 90's inspired costume & hair (not to mention his 90's dialogue), and...anyway, I'm ranting. This story is important to me, and now it still won't be done faithfully.

I was hoping for an out of continuity 2-parter...I guess I'll wait & see what happens.
    Preach it. It seems like for as much as DC loves mining from this era of Superman, there's still an inherent lack of respect. One of the reasons the story had so much impact was because of the very particular conditions of the Superman mythos and the DCU at the time. A Superman who had been active for roughly a decade. A relationship with Lois that had progressed to engagement, ergo loving and open but still before they had begun their life together. Jonathan and Martha Kent still alive. A more fragmented DCU, with the "Trinity" less close and a less-than-powerful Justice League at the tail end of the Bwa-ha-ha/Maxwell Lord era. I'd even make the case that Lex Luthor II, not traditional bald Luthor, is an important part of the story, as Superman dying while Luthor was passing himself off as his own benevolent son informed a lot of the character's decisions during the entire event. It even fed into his own (ultimately correct, if misinformed) paranoia that Superman was "faking" his death, because that's exactly what he had done.

Reading CBR's editorial earlier this week that we don't need anymore Death of Superman adaptations misses the mark. What we don't need any watered down or "streamlined" adaptations. Give us one original faithful behemoth with all of its grandeur and power, one that understands that the Doomsday fight is the least important part. The storyline isn't about Superman dying. It's about Superman's impact on the world and why he matters.

BANNED

Is there some reason mental,legal,or opinion oriented reason DC never gives it's fans EXACLTY what they scream for? They will give you back the character you want,but tweak something that throws him all out of whack and not what the fans wanted.same for these movies,tv,and animated shows,is it impossible for them to just give the fans what they want,instead of feeding into dumb shit to make a skewed version?

Is there some reason mental,legal,or opinion oriented reason DC never gives it's fans EXACLTY what they scream for? They will give you back the character you want,but tweak something that throws him all out of whack and not what the fans wanted.same for these movies,tv,and animated shows,is it impossible for them to just give the fans what they want,instead of feeding into dumb shit to make a skewed version?
    To be fair, if you give a group of fans exactly what it asks for, then you're inevitably going to tick off another group of fans. Superman is no exception, and in fact, I'd argue that Superman is one of the greater examples of how true this is.

That said, the only thing that ever seemed beat-for-beat loyal was with some of the Frank Miller stuff. I suppose the non-controversial parts of "The Killing Joke" are pretty 1:1, too, but that kind of comic-to-film adaptation should be considered the exception and not the rule.

BANNED

So all the dark type stuff gets translated like the original,but other stuff that isn't so dark not so much,and iyo it's best not to give fans what they want...ok.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Usually because they're not only interested in getting a very vocal (relative) minority. They want new fans. New fans inherently come with different design and story sensibilities that DC and Marvel have to account for while making their products. And a product is what these things are. That's why returning characters hardly ever return just as they used to be, and why adaptation, animated or live action, are not just 1:1 recreations. They take a gamble in returning, introducing, and adapting stuff all the time, and I frankly don't envy them. Having them just doing recreations of old stories or returning old characters just as they were does well to satiate that vocal minority, but that vocal minority is forever shrinking, so depending totally on them isn't smart, and fulfilling their wishes doesn't assure that you'll get any new fans.

The best bet is usually to find a middle ground or to "pick your battles" on what to bring back for the sake of the minority, and what to change for the sake of a oncoming fans. It's not a simple task, and no amount of us playing armchair CEO is gonna change that. At best we can voice what we personally don't like, and what we feel would work, but that doesn't objectively right because our view is only so wide.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

So iyo YJ,JSA,Shazam,LoS,etc don't have much of a chance coming back the way fans bitch that they want them? So what is the point then,of all our favorites are taken away,and the only way we can have them back is if they are changed somehow to not resemble the way we used to love them?

And yes I know the answer to these questions,but just because you know them,doesn't mean you shouldn't keep fighting for something you love