Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I don't remember anyone thinking at the time of the announcement that Diana was going to be involved, it was only when it seemed to be in the new 52 that people would have liked for continuity to stay the same rather then go back to the monopoly but many saw the writing on the wall. Honestly a lot didn't want this story anyway because it's been done to beyond death at this point

Didn't stop you i see, and yes there's no point in arguing in the Jim lee scene artwork even though I imagine superheroes have kissed in the air long before "for tomorrow". The flower I can because i'd say it drew more inspiration from 'for the man who has everything", Soule might have even brought that up. But yeah I think so, especially since it turned into a monster that they had to deal with. That didn't happen in all star superman or another clois moment did it?

Has wonder woman ever stole lines from lois in animation like what happened in new frontier? Because the example you give is more tribute that you should feel happy about as a testament but the example I give just shows a lack of caring and makes people worry if DC animation were to ever announce a kingdom come what they would do there.

As I said before, she was in this film to feel the wrath of the worf effect and she had a way better showing in BVS (that was hard for me to say). Maxima was a power house but wonder woman is supposed to be as strong as superman.
    You see, some see a tribute, while others see expropriation of previous work, it just depends on which fence you're sitting. But then others see a writer/creater preference for a line or an image so they replicate over and over throughout their work without regard of any fandom in question. Tomasi did what he was paid to do, l don't doubt he has upset the other side during his writing for either SM/WW or SM/LL. Unfortunately in this day and age, it's unavoidable I just don't see it as this extremely horrible thing to have happened. I'd be more offended at my favourite character written ooc and behaving horribly just to sell a story and that did not happen to WW here. As for her being as strong as Superman, DC keeps saying it but they have yet to actually show it, at least definitively and they can't really do that in a story that's about the death of Superman and the reign of Supermen. It's not about WW. In BvS she did do better but then she comes on the heels of Batman using kryptonite on Superman and her entire sequence was thrilling to watch in comparison and still the result is still the same. A weak Clark still gets the kill because that's how it was originally penned.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 08-03-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    FWIW, I never thought Tomasi gave two f's about writing S/W. It read like he was doing a job that kept him busy and delivered a paycheck instead of a project he wanted (which is something too often said about writers involved in Superman projects, justified or not). That said, "borrowing" his comic line and adding it to the movie doesn't really seem like a big deal to me, though now that I think about it, maybe it seems screwy. I mean, it's not as weird as what happened for animated New Frontier...

The bigger issue is that the movie pronounces the effect of either not having a singular vision for a series of stories from start to beginning, or not sticking to whatever plan was in place. You get no real payoff to what started in the first few movies, and sadly doesn't have the emotional kick to what I read 25+ years ago. In the end it's a decent product, but does feel like it's somewhat lacking, too.

Reign better be good... I mean, I think it will be, but if we had to sit through another DoS just for a mediocre "Reign of the Supermen" story... I should just think positive thoughts right now...
    I agree everything you said.

They should have done this one apart from their animated universe. It doesn't jell with previous animated movies.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 08-03-2018 at 09:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    It doesn't jell with previous animated movies.
    It gels perfectly fine, and the original story involves too many distracting elements and b-roster JL members so it needed condensing and be attached to something familiar already to audiences for the sake of extra investment. This was all done for maximum accessibility from Johnny Causal and so far it's been well received.

I was just thinking today that one of the peculiar things about this movie (and DoS in general) is that no hero dies except Superman. Yes, I know, it's called "Death of Superman" and not "Death of Superman and Two Other Justice League Teammates" but I think this movie does point out one of the quirks about comic book action. Guys get KO'd somewhat frequently, and the ones who get KO'd essentially never get finished off. I question if this is a trend that should continue.

I was just thinking today that one of the peculiar things about this movie (and DoS in general) is that no hero dies except Superman. Yes, I know, it's called "Death of Superman" and not "Death of Superman and Two Other Justice League Teammates" but I think this movie does point out one of the quirks about comic book action. Guys get KO'd somewhat frequently, and the ones who get KO'd essentially never get finished off. I question if this is a trend that should continue.
    Unless you want to see even more deaths and resurrections I think you just have to practice suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Unless you want to see even more deaths and resurrections I think you just have to practice suspension of disbelief.
    True.

What do you think of taking random DC heroes and making them Star Trek redshirts? I mean, if you're never going to use a character otherwise, is it so bad to offer them up as lambs to the slaughter?

(Also another argument for one-off movies...).

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    True.

What do you think of taking random DC heroes and making them Star Trek redshirts? I mean, if you're never going to use a character otherwise, is it so bad to offer them up as lambs to the slaughter?

True.

Me personally? As long as I don’t care about the character I’m fine with it. But one day it WOULD be a character I care about, so that’s the danger in calling for deaths. Johns gets a ton of **** still for doing exactly what you’re saying here though. People are still butthurt about Superboy-Prime slaughtering the Teen Titans, or Maxwell Lord shooting Ted.

I feel like if you’re going to have deaths just slaughter soldiers or civilians. Still shows off the villains power levels and dead normals never come back.

I bought the bluray yesterday. Will try to watch soon. been very busy lately.

I watched it today and LOVED IT!

Pretty much everything worked for me, Clark Superman was very relatable and all his relationships interesting, especially w/ Lois. His interactions with everyone were really good. I didn't have a problem at all with Superman/Diana break up. I think the writer (Tomasi) really made it work. I can even see Supes/Wondi working some day if Lois died. I felt Diana wasn't ready for love relationships yet. Like she needed to focus on other stuff in her life and as a person.

Any way, Lois and Clark's romance was believable and endearing to me. But Superman was just wonderful. This is how you write Superman. This is how you make him lovable yet also badass and with depth. He was never too brooding, and I loved how the people of Metropolis adored him.

And the fight was everything I wanted BvS to be but wasn't... I don't mind the blood and destruction if it's executed this good. I cried. His death was very moving. We need live action solo Superman sequel/movie like this..

The only thing that was lacking was the animation. Needs work, but still decent, tho.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really enjoyed it, but I do have one minor quibble.

So, Superman & Doomsday punching each other was shown on multiple occasions to be creating such concussive shockwaves that the surrounding buildings were shattering windows all around them. So, why isn't Lois Lane, who was right next to Doomsday when Superman hit him so hard it literally twisted his head backwards, killed or at the very least knocked back by the force of that punch?

I know, I know, applying logic to superhero fights is silly, but they went out of their way to show the impact that their punches were having, so why would the audience suddenly ignore the ground rules they'd established for their heightened reality because the filmmakers wanted to have Superman die saving Lois Lane right before he dies?

Other than that, I loved it, although I could have done without Bibbo, a character I never understood the appeal of.

True.

I'm not so hot on that idea, but I'm not opposed to them making new "redshirt heroes" to kill off now and again - that'd be more true to what happened on Star Trek anyway, iirc.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really enjoyed it, but I do have one minor quibble.

So, Superman & Doomsday punching each other was shown on multiple occasions to be creating such concussive shockwaves that the surrounding buildings were shattering windows all around them. So, why isn't Lois Lane, who was right next to Doomsday when Superman hit him so hard it literally twisted his head backwards, killed or at the very least knocked back by the force of that punch?

I know, I know, applying logic to superhero fights is silly, but they went out of their way to show the impact that their punches were having, so why would the audience suddenly ignore the ground rules they'd established for their heightened reality because the filmmakers wanted to have Superman die saving Lois Lane right before he dies?

Other than that, I loved it, although I could have done without Bibbo, a character I never understood the appeal of.
    I actually read an explanation of sorts as to why Lois wasn't hurt, basically Lois was in the epicenter of that punch and if you use ripples in the water, the waves (force) grows the further it travels outward, which kind made sense to me. It could be wrong but then I can't really remember my Physics from school.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

"Noisy" interview with Peter J. Tomasi...

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I actually read an explanation of sorts as to why Lois wasn't hurt, basically Lois was in the epicenter of that punch and if you use ripples in the water, the waves (force) grows the further it travels outward, which kind made sense to me. It could be wrong but then I can't really remember my Physics from school.
    This isn't really how physics works.