Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Death and Return of Superman movie will be set in the New 52

Attachment 62493

With this in mind, chances are this will be the animated universe's version of a Superman Reborn. Reasonable to expect at least some of this:

1) When Superman is physically reborn he'll likely be in the classic suit (with cuff addition)

2) If this is a more faithful adaptation of the OG story, then seems reasonable to expect Lois and Clark together by the end of this.

3) Updated looks for Steel, Superboy, and Eradicator.

Adding in this story to their New 52 inspired universe and saying that it'll be a more faithful adaptation of the comic seems odd if the intent isn't to actively change their Superman going forward. One would assume they'd just do a movie separate from all of their New 52 inspired stuff if the only goal was to do the story.

Thought?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-23-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Attachment 62493

With this in mind, chances are this will be the animated universe's version of a Superman Reborn. Reasonable to expect at least some of this:

1) When Superman is physically reborn he'll likely be in the classic suit (with cuff addition)

2) If this is a more faithful adaptation of the OG story, then seems reasonable to expect Lois and Clark together by the end of this.

3) Updated looks for Steel, Superboy, and Eradicator.

Adding in this story to their New 52 inspired universe and saying that it'll be a more faithful adaptation of the comic seems odd if the intent isn't to actively change their Superman going forward. One would assume they'd just do a movie separate from all of their New 52 inspired stuff if the only goal was to do the story.

Thought?
    This has me excited, because it's how I wanted DC to handle new 52 superman. Have the character get more wise and back into the classic character as he grows up, I get why it had to be done how it is in the comics, but it'll be cool if it's done like that in the movies.

I wonder if they'll just ignore Wonder Woman in this, or give a reason for them breaking up.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Superboy of the Reign of the Supermen/Return of Superman adaptation will be Jon Kent, clone of Superman and Lois Lane. Super Sons animated movie coming in 2020.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This has me excited, because it's how I wanted DC to handle new 52 superman. Have the character get more wise and back into the classic character as he grows up, I get why it had to be done how it is in the comics, but it'll be cool if it's done like that in the movies.
    In theory I'm super down for this. Still dislike the art style, but it's not the worst.

I wonder if they'll just ignore Wonder Woman in this, or give a reason for them breaking up.
    I couldn't tell ya. Whatever they pick, I'm sure it won't make everyone everywhere who's keeping up with that stuff happy. I'm just guess the Lois relationship will start at the end of Return.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The Superboy of the Reign of the Supermen adaptation will be Jon Kent, clone of Superman and Lois Lane. Super Sons animated movie coming in 2020.
    Wow. You might possibly be joking, but given that the New 52 Superboy is in fact a clone of Superman and Lois' son, this is 100000% possible. All they'd need to do is shorten it and say he's a clone of Lois and Clark.

In fact, I feel the need to bring this up. Yes, it's an official game by WB and DC. Take note of the transformation he does near the end.

Last edited by Superlad93; 02-23-2018 at 02:56 PM.

BANNED

I think the S/WW couple may have to be broken up as swiftly as possible for the Lois stuff to have any real emotion to in it's iconic moments, to this end I suspect they'll go with the "we were just easy together" excuse used in Rebirth. It's short and to the point.

This seems really goofy. Why be beholden to any form of continuity in animated movies? They're about an hour and a half of story. So just tell the story you want to tell, regardless of where it fits. Why not just adapt it with the staunchly post-Crisis setting that it was originally told in?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Ugh, I really wish DC would just drop this animated universe. The movies themselves have gone seriously downhill every since the New 52-ized everything. Before FP Paradox, the movies were all great. After, not so much.

Wow. You might possibly be joking, but given that the New 52 Superboy is in fact a clone of Superman and Lois' son, this is 100000% possible. All they'd need to do is shorten it and say he's a clone of Lois and Clark.
    I'm only half joking, I actually expect something simple like that to get Jon into animation if it's their goal. The messy fan-fiction-y cosmic mumbo jumbo of Rebirth/Reborn is really too much for a DTV-animated movie.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-23-2018 at 01:56 PM.

They don't need to drop it. They just don't need every movie to fit within it. Utilize it when it makes sense (like if they ever adapted Soule's SM/WW, which they should), don't when it doesn't. These movies don't have to fit one contiguous narrative, fans aren't stupid. They've been just fine in the past when each film operated in their own independent continuity depending on the story told.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Seems they're pretty hellbent on making a real animated cinematic universe similar to their old TV one. All their other stuff seems to be relegated to the Elseworld imprint like that new Gotham by Gaslight movie. The shared universe bug real.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'm half joking, I actually expect something simple like that to get Jon into animation if it's their goal. The messy fan-fiction-y cosmic mumbo jumbo of Rebirth/Reborn is really too much for a DTV-animated movie.
    I agree. Sucks for Conner though. But maybe they're thinking that since this is filtered through their version of the New 52 and Conner will be represented in the Young Justice TV show regularly, this would be cool.

Plus, that easy animated Super Sons money is tempting as hell I imagine.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.

I think this is really strange. I mean, I like the fact that they didn't just throw out the animated continuity, but how is this going to fit in there?

Mostly, the pro for this is that I absolutely, positively, did not want to see another Death of Superman story. I was anticipating that they were just going to do a two-off story and mimic the comics to a certain degree. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's more of the same. At least this introduces some variation. On the other hand, it's probably going to be weird.

Oh well. I like these animated movies (in general) so I'll pick them up when available.

Too bad that it seems DC's penchant for "one option and one option only" is infecting the animated films too.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think this is really strange. I mean, I like the fact that they didn't just throw out the animated continuity, but how is this going to fit in there?

Mostly, the pro for this is that I absolutely, positively, did not want to see another Death of Superman story. I was anticipating that they were just going to do a two-off story and mimic the comics to a certain degree. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's more of the same. At least this introduces some variation. On the other hand, it's probably going to be weird.

Oh well. I like these animated movies (in general) so I'll pick them up when available.
    Yes, that's my take. At least it'll be fun to speculate on these films now, instead of just expecting a straight forward adaption(which still would have been hard to do.)

I agree. Sucks for Conner though. But maybe they're thinking that since this is filtered through their version of the New 52 and Conner will be represented in the Young Justice TV show regularly, this would be cool.

Plus, that easy animated Super Sons money is tempting as hell I imagine.
    Hey, they could surprise us and make Supersons with Damian and Conner.