Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #16 (Super Sons reunite) preview/(spoiler) discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I really struggle to understand what makes a good Damien in terms of writing. I feel like he's on that Wolverine level where he's had so many different writers his tone/personality is hard to grasp. To the point where you can't necessarily say this is wrong or right, if that makes sense.

Hahaha "do not sell the card collection." What a perfectly kid thing to say. I also really liked "including the the idea you were just thinking of when you think of the dumbest idea I've ever had." It reestablishes and implies their deep friendship. I also dig that we're getting another little bit from Jon's time away in that first page.

If any of you know about my Leviathan theory, you know this is just feeding into it hard. Damian talks about not only stealing tech again, but he also acknowledges that Leviathan is his birthright.

Anyways, I dig the preview quite a bit, and I really dig that the colorist remembered Damian's skin tone. And Lafuente draws the hell out of teen Jon.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-08-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Anyways, I dig the preview quite a bit, and I really dig that the colorist remembered Damian's skin tone. And Lafuente draws the hell out of teen Jon.
    Damian's skin tone is confusing, because he doesn't really have a "canon" skin tone.

The skin tone Damian had when he first appeared wasn't darker than Bruce. Other artists make his skin darker, but this isn't constant between artists.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Gotta say i don't care for how jon is drawn as an adult here. As a kid he looks fine. As for the voice, voice of kid jon is fine.
    #theboysareback
    @superlad's theory is correct that Damian's leviathan. And if the rumours that jon is gonna be superman is true. And if clark really does leave his secret identity and become president of the earth.this is gonna be a tough year. Its nice to have something familiar for once. Then again the kid ain't kid no more

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Damian's skin tone is confusing, because he doesn't really have a "canon" skin tone.

The skin tone Damian had when he first appeared wasn't darker than Bruce. Other artists make his skin darker, but this isn't constant between artists.
    The way I see it, the Robins already all look alike, so any excuse to switch that up a bit is welcomed by me. But no this wasn't what he originally looked like in Morrison's Batman run, and his mother is super inconsistent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The way I see it, the Robins already all look alike, so any excuse to switch that up a bit is welcomed by me. But no this wasn't what he originally looked like in Morrison's Batman run, and his mother is super inconsistent too.
    I recall a letters page from the 1970s issues that specifically declined to address Talia's ethnicity/nationality. A response of "let's just call her a woman of the world" or something like that. They even started with R'as the same complexion as Bruce and blue-eyed. I just want consistency for Damian and Talia, whichever way they go. There are other characters where I have a very definite preference (usually for how they were first depicted), but the al Ghuls were so bouncy around and so old, I just want a settled look. And for Damian to look his age instead of still looking 10.

Not real happy with this teen Jon, myself. Not dreadful or anything, just not what I'd prefer.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The older Jon looks really weird, but I appreciate Lafuente in general and his ability to tweak his style on a frequent basis.

Damian saying "yo!" is one of those Bendis things where you wonder just how deliberate. But I always like the way he does Damian's personality. I guess you can say he's a hard character to write poorly.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The older Jon looks really weird, but I appreciate Lafuente in general and his ability to tweak his style on a frequent basis.

Damian saying "yo!" is one of those Bendis things where you wonder just how deliberate. But I always like the way he does Damian's personality. I guess you can say he's a hard character to write poorly.
    Not really. I read this, and expect someone else to be saying most of these lines. None of this sounds like Damian. At all.

Bendis continues to prove he can't write Damian. Its like Bendis writes a generic character, and slaps the "Damian" name onto the lines. Sorry, don't buy it. I've seen fanfics that have done Damian better. And that's not an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not really. I read this, and expect someone else to be saying most of these lines. None of this sounds like Damian. At all.

Bendis continues to prove he can't write Damian. Its like Bendis writes a generic character, and slaps the "Damian" name onto the lines. Sorry, don't buy it. I've seen fanfics that have done Damian better. And that's not an exaggeration.
    Yeah, Damian has a pretty distinctive voice and speech pattern and I don't think Bendis captures it at all. I mean, I guess he has the aggressiveness and air of superiority and condescension in there, but the voice and dialogue sounds completely wrong.

I do like the Lafuente art though.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah that's what I mean, the attitude and sentiment are pretty true to the character. Or close enough... I feel a lot better about Bendis using informal terms than having Damian kill animals like Tomasi did in the early New52. I prefer him written as Bruce Jr than sticking with the nastier quirks from earlier in the character history.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

He seems to get Damian as a character perfectly fine, but the Bendis-speak really doesn't fit with him - Clark seems to be the only character so far at DC he's handled for any length of time he's really making a conscious effort to give a distinct vocabulary and cadence, which is a shame because he nails him.
    Buh-bye

Oh God, I already hate this. And I'm not just talking about Jon.

I heard rumblings that Bendis doesn't write a good Damian but I didn't think he'd be THAT off. The personality is there but the way he talks...just no. And yeah, the extra dark skin has never really...looked right on him. He's mixed. You don't have to downplay the fact that he's Bruce's kid just to make sure it's clear that he's also Talia's. Contrary to what the Tumblr community thinks:

1. It's okay to draw him light skinned and you can do it without making him look white

2. Light skinned people of Arab descent definitely exist xD
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-07-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    He seems to get Damian as a character perfectly fine, but the Bendis-speak really doesn't fit with him - Clark seems to be the only character so far at DC he's handled for any length of time he's really making a conscious effort to give a distinct vocabulary and cadence, which is a shame because he nails him.
    This is basically where I am.

Funny enough, the vocab Bendis has Damian use doesn't really bother me mostly because of the hilarious and strangely fitting image of Damian with a fidget spinner over in the Batman/Deathstroke crossover by Priest. Before that image I kind of had Damian as this little adult caricature at default (not counting the more subtle nuances). Morrison's Batman Inc 2012 made me remember he was a kid, but that image made it click that he's a modern kid.

If he'd just strive for a few more of his verbal signatures, I think Bendis could have a really solid Damian.