Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

I'm just glad they didn't bring Steve Blum back.

I love him as a VA, but he was really a discount Lex whenever they used him (especially JLvsTT).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I don't think we can really say it won't be faithful to the original yet (their take on Judas Contract was actually fairly close to the comic despite obvious differences in terms of the characters involved) but I can think of a few reasons why they're doing it:

- Lets them develop and expand on this version of Superman and his supporting cast.

- Lets them introduce the other Supermen into the universe, a few of whom have never really been in a DC cartoon before.

- There are generally two in-continuity movies per year and this will make our second of 2018.

- Put the kibbosh on the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship.
    I mean...I totally agree with you and get all of that. And I hope that the adaptation is more faithful than it appears to be.

That said, part of the reason the Death of Superman wasn't ::just:: a slugfest and had some emotion was because Lois was such a big POV character in the second arc and her grief drove the story. That was one of the best things about that weird version that Bruce Timm made awhile back. Lois's relationship with Superman by the time he dies is supposed to be really deep and part of the pain and agony is that she can't tell anyone that Clark Kent is dead too. So she has to go through her days pretending that it's just Superman who is gone but, in reality, it's her future husband who is gone too.

I'm all for them getting rid of Superman/WW but the animated films have marginalized Lois so badly up to this point (even being kind of nasty towards her by having her show up while they are on that date) that I'm not sure how they are going to establish the appropriate depth and connection needed in this short time period to truly do justice to the story. But look, I hope I'm wrong! I would love to be wrong.

The voice cast is GREAT. I've been a fan of Rebecca for like 20 years so I will never complain about having her as Lois and the fact that they are husband and wife might help that transition to intimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    That said, part of the reason the Death of Superman wasn't ::just:: a slugfest and had some emotion was because Lois was such a big POV character in the second arc and her grief drove the story. That was one of the best things about that weird version that Bruce Timm made awhile back. Lois's relationship with Superman by the time he dies is supposed to be really deep and part of the pain and agony is that she can't tell anyone that Clark Kent is dead too. So she has to go through her days pretending that it's just Superman who is gone but, in reality, it's her future husband who is gone too.
    I imagine the same will hold true for the Reign film, especially as Lois investigates the other Supermen like she did in the comics.

Incredible Member

I mean, I don't think we can really say it won't be faithful to the original yet (their take on Judas Contract was actually fairly close to the comic despite obvious differences in terms of the characters involved) but I can think of a few reasons why they're doing it:
    Given the fact that they have to undo all that came before continuity wise it's already come out the starting block unlike the original story and I can imagine there will be further updates for undeveloped characters that appear in this movie.

- Lets them develop and expand on this version of Superman and his supporting cast.
    Pretty sure everyone knows them by know, well maybe not jimmy and Perry but I doubt they'll get a minor appearance at best.

- Lets them introduce the other Supermen into the universe, a few of whom have never really been in a DC cartoon before.
    Who will never appear again except maybe a cameo for steel at best.

- There are generally two in-continuity movies per year and this will make our second of 2018.
    how is this the second? This continuity hasn't appeared since the Judas contract? And the justice league hasn't been since justice league dark.

- Put the kibbosh on the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship.
    Which makes no sense because the old school fans are already saying "not muh Superman" and for the fans of the new 52 who have been told by DC since rebirth to fuck off this will just piss them off further, mostly because stories involving superman and lois with wonder woman in the picture tend to reflect poorly for wonder woman.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    Pretty sure everyone knows them by know, well maybe not jimmy and Perry but I doubt they'll get a minor appearance at best.
    Yeah, but not in this continuity.
    Who will never appear again except maybe a cameo for steel at best.
    Steel might join the League, and I could see Superboy moving to the Titans movies.
    how is this the second? This continuity hasn't appeared since the Judas contract? And the justice league hasn't been since justice league dark.
    Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay is the other in-continuity film of 2018.

BANNED

Which makes no sense because the old school fans are already saying "not muh Superman" and for the fans of the new 52 who have been told by DC since rebirth to fuck off this will just piss them off further, mostly because stories involving superman and lois with wonder woman in the picture tend to reflect poorly for wonder woman.
    I think, in general, the stories involving Superman/Lois/Wonder Woman tend to treat BOTH women poorly and it's beyond important to lift shipper bias and be cognizant of that, ok? It's not like these animated movies were super nice to Lois up until this point. In Throne of Atlantis, they had Lois show up while Clark and Diana were on a date---even though that was NEVER in Geoff Johns' original book---and it was seemingly just to make her look like an idiot who couldn't recognize Clark was Superman. It was mean spirited. So let's not pretend that up until this point all the stories in this universe have been super great.

I think, in general, there is a very easy to end the Superman/Wonder Woman thing here and move on to Lois and Clark in a way that does not reflect poorly at ALL on Diana. I don't think Clark or Diana have to do anything wrong or for either of them to be painted poorly for that to happen. If anything, I think the opposite. I think this is a lovely opportunity to do what they should have done in the new 52 and just establish that while Clark and Diana care deeply about each other as friends and love each other as family, they are not IN love with each other. That's not a bad thing and reflects poorly on no one.

I understand that it's disappointing for shippers who were still hoping to see that relationship here but the bottom line is that the DC animation likely wants to be at least somewhat in tune with where the franchise and books are headed. I would also gather that they are hoping, at some point, to adapt Super Sons in some capacity. I don't think it's malicious. I just don't think the Superman/Wonder woman was ever intended to be the permanent thing that some of the fans thought it was going to be. They aren't being mean here. It's just the natural progression of the story as it was always going to be after the new 52.

Incredible Member

Yeah, but not in this continuity.
    Pretty sure the ones DC care about have both featured before hand, not massive roles but still there.
    Steel might join the League, and I could see Superboy moving to the Titans movies.
    Steel will be in the background at best in future jl adventures like previous animations and since the teen titans is running on nostalgia for the old cartoon plus batman star power I doubt that.
    Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay is the other in-continuity film of 2018.
    My God, the digital release is coming out tomorrow and I haven't seen no mention of it.

Thanks for this image too.

I still don't see the point in making this in-line with the prior movies (well, actually, I don't see the point in making ANOTHER Death of Superman story other than that they didn't tell the "Reign" story yet). I guess there's some perceived value in the appearance of continuity.

Oh well. At least we're getting Superman movies again after a nearly five-year hiatus. Yay.

EDIT: I was cool with New 52, but it's just weird seeing them use the New 52 design for this particular story. Sorry, this is a bad compromise.

Incredible Member

I think, in general, the stories involving Superman/Lois/Wonder Woman tend to treat BOTH women poorly and it's beyond important to lift shipper bias and be cognizant of that, ok?
    Pretty sure lois came out of Whom Gods destroy looking pretty good.

It's not like these animated movies were super nice to Lois up until this point. In Throne of Atlantis, they had Lois show up while Clark and Diana were on a date---even though that was NEVER in Geoff Johns' original book---and it was seemingly just to make her look like an idiot who couldn't recognize Clark was Superman. It was mean spirited. So let's not pretend that up until this point all the stories in this universe have been super great.
    You seem to straw man that the SM/WW crowd wanted this when truth be told a lot of people would prefer that it didn't happen, hell in throne of Atlantis it ruined a perfectly good scene to remind us of the previous status quo.

I think, in general, there is a very easy to end the Superman/Wonder Woman thing here and move on to Lois and Clark in a way that does not reflect poorly at ALL on Diana.
    Tell that to dan jurgens and greg rucka who both failed at that attempt.

I don't think Clark or Diana have to do anything wrong or for either of them to be painted poorly for that to happen. If anything, I think the opposite. I think this is a lovely opportunity to do what they should have done in the new 52 and just establish that while Clark and Diana care deeply about each other as friends and love each other as family, they are not IN love with each other. That's not a bad thing and reflects poorly on no one.
    I don't enjoy the whole "so close it's like they're related" angle. Personally I enjoy the fact that they are friends that have an underlying attraction to each other that were too scared to act upon it, that was what made the relationship pre flashpoint great rather then the other attempts such as the recent trinity where they feel like strangers.

I understand that it's disappointing for shippers who were still hoping to see that relationship here but the bottom line is that the DC animation likely wants to be at least somewhat in tune with where the franchise and books are headed.
    more then likely though I would enjoy a diverse pool where all people can enjoy different strokes with different stories like the else worlds stories rather then catering to one vision. Part of me wants a kingdom come story but the other half doesn't after what happened in the new frontier film.

I would also gather that they are hoping, at some point, to adapt Super Sons in some capacity.
    Yay...

I don't think it's malicious.
    Again tell Jurgens and Rucka, the latter of which has a video interview expressing his glee.

I just don't think the Superman/Wonder woman was ever intended to be the permanent thing that some of the fans thought it was going to be. They aren't being mean here. It's just the natural progression of the story as it was always going to be after the new 52.
    Nothing is permanent in comics, it could have just been done significantly better which given the way it ended last time plus previous history doesn't give me much faith in this to be honest, especially as you have pointed out the animations teams history.
    Last edited by ssupes; 03-26-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Sigh, I did it again.

DOS events will take place in new 52. An event that did not happen in this universe. If will shown a Reborn's version then it is understandable.

Amazing Member

In this story it is extremely essential that superman be romantically involved with Lois Lane .. And seeing the new 52 superman i want to know... what the hell is dc doing ? .. because Lois Lane in this story is irreplaceable

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I agree with you guys, we'll probably see the reborn version of Clark after he dies. I am also guessing him and WW will split in this film.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Where are Lex II's long red hair and beard?
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-26-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Where are Lex II's long red hair and beard?
    Or his Matrix Supergirl girlfriend ?