Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I'm not even going to bother with their animated universe if they try and do a rebirth.
    Same. If they can't even manage to have the New Animated Universe made its own Elseworld and then use the "iconic" takes of their characters in a main continuity but feel the need to **** on what they just produced, they'll get a hard pass from me. They've already been doing it with Superman and Wonder Woman lines, and the former has been pretty boring ever since Rebirth, and the other utter crap because of it. It's almost as if D.C. was actively trying to get less money in, not more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I'm not even going to bother with their animated universe if they try and do a rebirth.
    That's your prerogative.

I was of the opinion that N52 was only ever temporary. We're seeing that unfolding as we speak, unfortunately for you and others who liked what N52 did. I was never a fan but I bought the comics regardless because that was the direction they took with Superman at the time and wanted to read Superman. I don't expect anyone to do likewise and consume something they don't like now that we are post Rebirth in the books and maybe heading there in the animation. It is what it is.

It wasn't supposed to be temporary, that's just the way it worked out. They'll swear up and down it was the plan if asked, I'm sure--they love to make it look like they're all-knowing, just like Lee laughably tried to claim the plan was to always bring the trunks back--but at the time, it so was not done with temporary in mind. Insofar as knowing going in that they'd go back to the old continuity eventually. If it had been a planned temporal shift designed to get some story out of it but a change always to be resolved, it wouldn't have lasted 5 years. They can barely plan things 5 months in advance, let alone 5 years.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-27-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Same. If they can't even manage to have the New Animated Universe made its own Elseworld and then use the "iconic" takes of their characters in a main continuity but feel the need to **** on what they just produced, they'll get a hard pass from me. They've already been doing it with Superman and Wonder Woman lines, and the former has been pretty boring ever since Rebirth, and the other utter crap because of it. It's almost as if D.C. was actively trying to get less money in, not more.
    I doubt that's how they see it regardless of whether or not that's what's happening. Unfortunately nobody can please everyone all of the time. You're unhappy with the current direction, as many were unhappy with N52. It's the turn of the wheel. I don't know about DC doing elseworld stories so far removed from continuity any time soon. I think with comic book movies being the rage DC may be looking at corporate synergy, for better or for worse. It doesn't mean they'll never try it but right now, they see room for those stories. The Black Label stuff is something but I don't see them deviating too far away from status quo especially now after reestablishing traditional relations of the trio in the main universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It wasn't supposed to be temporary, that's just the way it worked out. They'll swear up and down it was the plan if asked, I'm sure--they love to make it look like they're all-knowing, just like Lee laughably tried to claim the plan was to always bring the trunks back--but at the time, it so was not done with temporary in mind. Insofar as knowing going in that they'd go back to the old continuity eventually. If it had been a planned temporal shift designed to get some story out of it but a change always to be resolved, it wouldn't have lasted 5 years. They can barely plan things 5 months in advance, let alone 5 years.
    I said it was temporary, in my opinion, not that DC meant it to be temporary. I was never convinced it would last, regardless of how it was written.

They'll invest in stuff far removed from continuity again. There's no question they will, its just a question of when. They enjoy their synergy in regards to the main verse and film these days, but its not going to stop them from publishing out-of-continuity stuff. They've done it for the bulk of their existence and will continue with it, as its a popular concept. They're just wrapped up in getting their main continuity figured out right now (that its taking so long is another symptom of their poor planning and execution). But when they're ready they won't shy away from it. They never have shied away from it before and there's no reason to shy away from it today. It doesn't confuse fans, and they've clearly never seen out-of-continuity stories hurting the integrity of main line continuity before. To adopt that mindset today would be incredibly out of the blue and without any merit of sense. With that in mind, as for the Black Label stuff, there's no reason why those stories can't deviate from status quo as much as they want to either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-27-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

nvm, that was a stupid comment to make.
    Last edited by The World; 03-27-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Amazing Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SS0SXXh_pEo

The Death Of Superman Movie Trailer and Young Justice Season 3

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Wow this thread sure is lively.

But yeah, I'm mostly cool with the idea of this movie. For one, it's the legit Justice League fighting and being held back by Doomsday. It's not the Bush League of America, so that's a plus from me. I like the absurdity of Lex pretending to have an illegitimate son just to cure his cancer. That's hilarious. But I'm not gonna cry over that bit of continuity insanity being gone in favor of clarity and FREAKING DWIGHT SCHRUTE as Lex!! Also I'm very, very down for the Superman vs Doomsday fight to get the cross country, over the top, world shacking treatment that only Jay Oliva production is down to do. I'm also in favor of anything that makes it so the New 52 suit gets replaced by either the classic or Reborn joint (said as someone who liked the new 52 for the most part). I'm digging the focus on Lois that seems to be here. And I'm pretty down for their likely test tube baby to be a thing and get me my Super Sons or Superman & Son animated movie.

As far as cons go? I despise the mr olympia proportions that this art style uses. Superman looks great in motion but while sitting down or just chilling he looks hilarious. Even though I'm not that big a fan of Jurgens' art style, I wouldn't liked to see them take more inspiration from his style for this movie.

Edit: I take back what I said about the character models. They've been toned down and naturalized a bit, so I'm pretty good with it. Not my favorite style, but they've altered it enough to where I'm not going to be thinking about it during the movie. Dope.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-27-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yeah, just watched the trailer myself and this is easily the most anticipated I have been for DC's animated films in awhile. I really like this movie will develop Clark and Lois and not just be a film where Clark is cast aside for Superman and Lois. Also really excited about the fact that Superman will reveal his identity to Lois in this film in what looks to be a genuine moment for the characters. I admit it's really strange seeing ma and pa kent after them being absent for song long in both the animated movies and comics, especially with a Superman in the n52 costume. This should easily end up being my favorite Superman film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I fail to see how Lois, as an investigative reporter is outdated in this age. The world needs more people like her, who pursue the truth no matter what.
    This is the same guy that said that "Truth" is one of the best Superman's stories ever written and that every Superman that isn't N52 Superman is a paternalistic jerk that doesn't care about anyone but himself.

N52 fans can be a little... odd.

This particular poster has his opinions and that's fine. But that's not reflective of the entirety of people who enjoyed the New 52.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I really like this movie will develop Clark and Lois and not just be a film where Clark is cast aside for Superman and Lois.
    I really appreciate that they highlighted this aspect of the film. The idea that he's going to the League members and his parents for advise sort of gets more into his head than we have been in this continuity. Most of this continuity he's sort of just the League's designated top bruiser, and not much else. Getting a whole movie to get into his head and supporting cast should be fun because we haven't had a Superman animated joint in a while.

Also really liking how casual Superman is with everyone in Metropolis. The idea that he just walks into the front door of the Daily Planet while making banter is pretty nice. That all said, I do wish we would've gotten a Action Comics vol 2 issues 1-8 movie (or somehow weaved that into the background of the other Justice League movies). The journey from Robinhood-like outlaw to a nearly deified guardian in blue would've been nice. But, for what this is trying to go for, I think it's doing a good job. From what I can tell, that is.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Doomsday has heat vision

Quote Originally Posted by Superfamily View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SS0SXXh_pEo

The Death Of Superman Movie Trailer and Young Justice Season 3
    Thanks for the link. Not sure if it'll last long, so watch it while you can.

This movie has potential, but I'm still irked by the fact that they are going back to the "Let's kill Superman" well yet again. DC and WB are being lazy, period. That's not to say this movie will be bad, and having a true Reign story is somewhat overdue considering how often they killed Superman, but they've determined their comfort zone or safe space is killing Superman and they can't venture outside of it. The character has been stuck in a holding pattern for some time, and creative decisions like this don't help. I have some hope that part two will justify part one, but there's no good reason to keep doing this story.

Stuff about continuity and ships have already been said, so I'll say nothing on that.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 03-27-2018 at 03:50 PM.