Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I wonder if this means they'll introduce Supergirl (Kara) or if they'll replace her with Guardian?

I also wonder if they do go with Jon being a clone of Lois and Clark (Grant Morrison himself said that he like the animated ending for All Star Superman more than his own because Lex gives Lois and Clark a child) then what would his set up be after Return? Probably expect both a Superman & Son movie but with a bit more tension because of the strange situation they're in.

Man, this is all so strange lol

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Hey, they could surprise us and make Supersons with Damian and Conner.
    Ah, see, now that I recognize as a joke
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

I can see another failed attempt on this story I can see and in doing so they throw everything previous out with the bath water. I wonder which they will go with, Jurgens magic wand erasing everything previous or Ruckas sociopath behavior of Wonder Woman? I mean I could hold out hope for it to be possibly done well or even change some scenes from the comic like new frontier did with it's animation movie, but previous DC experience has proven otherwise.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This is... Unexpected.

I wish they did a straight up adaptation like what was done with The Dark Knight Returns.

I guess they are using this to soft reboot the animated universe Supes to closer align him to the current version in the comics. Who wants to bet the next two Superman animated movies are adaptation of The Wedding album and the Lois and Clark book with Jon?

As long as the major plot points and moments are hit, then it'll be good.

I didn't hate the previous attempt, but it dropped the ball and bore little resemblance to the original story.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I didn't hate the previous attempt, but it dropped the ball and bore little resemblance to the original story.
    I felt like Timm really wanted to tie it with Superman: TAS, especially with how Lois was acting (dating Superman, but knowing he was Clark and was annoyed he would'nt tell her)

I still feel a little wary of just outright labelling the current animated continuity "the New 52 animated movies" given more and more they've just been picking and choosing from different continuities instead of being straight-up New 52 adaptions.

Even the upcoming Suicide Squad movie has some New 52 designs (particularly for Waller) but will also see a lot of Post-Crisis characters, classic Dr. Fate, the Crystal Frost version of Killer Frost, and a more Post-Crisis Bronze Tiger. So it's not just the New 52.

I imagine a lot of the initial movie will be spent on developing this version of Superman, providing some resolution to his relationship with Wonder Woman while re-emphasizing Lois's role in his life, and setting up the other Supermen before the fight with Doomsday (which will probably feature Jason O'Mara's Batman and Rosario Dawson's Wonder Woman).

I'm curious if Jerry O'Connel will still be Superman in this, as well as Juliet Landau as Lois and Steve Blum as Luthor (if he's in it).

I am kind of curious if they'll go with a straight-up version of Kon or try some mix of him and Jon, though I hope we get the former.

And I agree with Superlad that I'm curious if Kara will be in this in some form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This seems really goofy. Why be beholden to any form of continuity in animated movies? They're about an hour and a half of story. So just tell the story you want to tell, regardless of where it fits. Why not just adapt it with the staunchly post-Crisis setting that it was originally told in?
    I assume because they want to develop this universe's Superman and his world, which they've only really touched on briefly in past movies, and it also allows them to introduce and develop more characters in this continuity like the other Supermen.

It's probably the same reason they adapted the Judas Contract with this continuity's version of the Titans instead of just doing a straight-up Wolfman/Perez adaption like they planned on early into the line.

And John Henry Irons made a cameo in Thrones of Atlantis so arguably this film was foreshadowed as early as 2015 .

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I felt like Timm really wanted to tie it with Superman: TAS, especially with how Lois was acting (dating Superman, but knowing he was Clark and was annoyed he would'nt tell her)
    It was odd. It Theoretically could have fit into the TAS continuity in the loosest of terms, and may have been written with that originally being the case, but somewhere along the line they decided on not using any of the voice actors of TAS,and totally revamping the character models, mostly for the worse on all accounts, although I did like James Marsters take on Lex .

In my head it's the series finale to TAS set, like, several years later. In that prism, it kinda works. When I next do my rewatch of TAS I may watch that one after the final episode.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-23-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

It was odd. It Theoretically could have fit into the TAS continuity in the loosest of terms, and may have been written with that originally being the case, but somewhere along the line they decided on not using any of the voice actors of TAS,and totally revamping the character models, mostly for the worse.

In my head it's the series finale to TAS set, like, several years later. In that prism, it kinda works.
    I enjoyed it too much as a standalone to look at it that way .

Who wants to bet the next two Superman animated movies are adaptation of The Wedding album and the Lois and Clark book with Jon?
    Are we going to get two more Superman movies any time soon? I guess these two Superman movies have to do well, or else it'll be another five-year drought between Superman movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still feel a little wary of just outright labelling the current animated continuity "the New 52 animated movies" given more and more they've just been picking and choosing from different continuities instead of being straight-up New 52 adaptions.

Even the upcoming Suicide Squad movie has some New 52 designs (particularly for Waller) but will also see a lot of Post-Crisis characters, classic Dr. Fate, the Crystal Frost version of Killer Frost, and a more Post-Crisis Bronze Tiger. So it's not just the New 52.

I imagine a lot of the initial movie will be spent on developing this version of Superman form, providing some resolution to his relationship with Wonder Woman while re-emphasizing Lois's role in his life, and setting up the other Supermen before the fight with Doomsday (which will probably feature Jason O'Mara's Batman and Rosario Dawson's Wonder Woman).

I'm curious if Jerry O'Connel will still be Superman in this, as well as Juliet Landau as Lois and Steve Blum as Luthor (if he's in it).

I am kind of curious if they'll go with a straight-up version of Kon or try some mix of him and Jon, though I hope we get the former.

And I agree with Superlad that I'm curious if Kara will be in this in some form.

I assume because they want to develop this universe's Superman and his world, which they've only really touched on briefly in past movies, and it also allows them to introduce and develop more characters in this continuity like the other Supermen.

It's probably the same reason they adapted the Judas Contract with this continuity's version of the Titans instead of just doing a straight-up Wolfman/Perez adaption like they planned on early into the line.

And John Henry Irons made a cameo in Thrones of Atlantis so arguably this film was foreshadowed as early as 2015 .
    I haven't been watching the animated movies from Flashpoint on. It's not a case of being anti new 52, it's just more of a case of not being all that interested in them. I'll probably check this out though unless it turns out a dumpster fire.

I think that SMxWW will be mentioned as something of the past and nothing more..

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Hey, they could surprise us and make Supersons with Damian and Conner.
    I miss Kon... However, I'm not too optimistic, I think that he is the character with less chances to appear in Reign of SM.

I even see Steel with more chances than Kon..
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-23-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Are we going to get two more Superman movies any time soon? I guess these two Superman movies have to do well, or else it'll be another five-year drought between Superman movies.
    Well, I think it's good that they're attempting Superman movies again and experimenting from just Batman and Justice League-oriented films like they have with the Teen Titans.

We didn't have to wait long for another Teen Titans movie, though I expect we might not see another Superman film in 2019 after these two.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You've got a point. It's been very Frankenstein-y. The Teen Titans movie was very much its own thing while taking from quite a few places.

Who can even say at this point? The New 52 version was a clone of Superman and Lois' son, Jon's pretty popular, and teeing up for Super Sons/Superman & Son would seem like a smart movie given the popularity. This could be the clear chance to get that given they said they wouldn't reboot.

And you gotta admit, this is pretty strange lol

I keep wondering how they'd do anyone Matrix or Kara given there's no set up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Good point. However I have a feeling that since the comics line is doing a hard push on Superman , unless these movies bomb, I suspect they will be putting out some more direct to video Superman animated product, and I imagine part of that is steering him to something resembling the Jurgens/ Tomasi/ Bendis era , I.e. the current version.

I saw this early this morning, and I was just so vastly disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to comment on it.

Ever since I was a kid and heard the BBC radio play of "Death/Return" (sometimes called Superman: Doomsday and Beyond...seriously, if you've never heard this go buy a copy on Amazon stat!) for the first time, I've imagined what an animated adaptation could be. For those of you who have heard the BBC show, you'll know what I'm talking about...in the span of 2.5 hours or so, they cover pretty much everything from the engagement, to Luthor's "death" and the emergence of Luthor II, the JL of that era, the origin of the Eradicator, Lois discovering the secret...they crammed years worth of stories into that show, and did it in a way that it was easy to comprehend & understand (I hadn't read 90% of these comics at that time). All I could think about for months after was how amazing that show would be in animation.

Fast forward to 2007 and I hear an animated Death movie is coming, and I was stoked. One abomination of an adaptation later and I figured we'd never get that movie I wanted. Until last year...they announce a 2-part animated adaptation to "do the story justice, in the vein of 'The Dark Knight Returns'." I was like that little kid again...stoked for the possibilities. And then I see that screenshot. This is NOT in the vein of TDKR. It's not standalone. The New 52 designs mean that even if they use Conner, he won't be the 90's version.

Anyone who's ever seen me post knows that I'm the "go with the flow" guy. There's not much they can do that gets me to raise my pitchfork, because it's often in service of something new. I didn't want new here...I wanted a straight adaptation. Disappointed again.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Good point. However I have a feeling that since the comics line is doing a hard push on Superman , unless these movies bomb, I suspect they will be putting out some more direct to video Superman animated product, and I imagine part of that is steering him to something resembling the Jurgens/ Tomasi/ Bendis era , I.e. the current version.
    I definitely think Oz Effect or Black Dawn could be on the cards, given the latter stars a character already used in an animated adaptation