Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Absolutely. I think a lot of readers are looking upon the original Death of Superman story with rose-colored glasses. It was pretty terrible, but had pretty art. On the other hand, Reign of the Supermen was fantastic and deserves a solid adaptation.
    To me, it's the death story was just the preamble to the main story arc, which is Funeral,Reign and the aftermath. The real story is the transformation of Superman's world and cast and status in the DCU, all the new characters and concepts this story gave us. Everything that started with Byrne and built with his successors payed off in this arc ( the Luthor stuff with Action 700 the following year).
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To me, it's the death story was just the preamble to the main story arc, which is Funeral,Reign and the aftermath.
    That's how I view it, too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Lois had a higher paying job in the New 52, she was at Perry's level. Her fans got her demoted back to a regular reporter explian that? Had a boyfriend who she shared an apartment with, he vanished never to be seen again. These people had lived lives and were forced to change bodysnacher style as a form of appeasement. How would you feel if someone told you your life was a lie? Hell they couldn't ever tell Superman what the deal was they had to kill him off then highjack his life over his corpse. That's just wrong and underhanded. That's why I quit the books cause if that's who DC is I want no part.
    And it was so great in Star Trek when Kirk was promoted to Admiral. They really made a big deal out of it, that it is important that he has more power now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    And it was so great in Star Trek when Kirk was promoted to Admiral. They really made a big deal out of it, that it is important that he has more power now
    Even that returned to status quo after a few of the movies.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Even that returned to status quo after a few of the movies.
    That was what I wanted to say.
    But perhaps the rules are different in Superman comics and more power ist always better than less power

Astonishing Member

Sometimes it's not about more money or more power but what fulfills an individual as well as making a difference where they think it counts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    That was what I wanted to say.
    But perhaps the rules are different in Superman comics and more power ist always better than less power
    What do you mean?

Ah. I admit I just skimmed the thread after it blew up and probably misread you. Honestly when this thread started to go down the "my ship is better than your ship and if you disagree you're a sexist" off topic ranting from certain posters I kinda let my eyes glaze over.

Yeah I agree. I don't need a 1 to 1 adaptation of the original Death story, because to set up that particular continuity point would require a whole prelude film to set up Aussie Lex, Matrix Supergirl etc. Plus I always thought that that any retelling of DOS should include the big 7 league and not the bush league version. I can understand why they weren't used in the original story, but that was due to the different editorial philosophy in the early 90s and in my opinion, it's hard to take Doomsday seriously as a threat if he's just beating up Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Fire. Give me the big leagers for that fight.

I do hope they are more faithful to REIGN. If they hit closer to the mark with that half, this project will be a success.
    I don't know about the big version of the league being in this. Why not just say that the Justice League International were in the area (or something) and the main League is facing something else while Superman helps the JLI. My biggest problem with it is that we don't need an animated BvS end fight.

Personally, I liked the idea that the BBC went with - they started with radio announcing the death.....of Lex Luthor. A very nice fake-out, actually. And it set up things pretty well. But that I do kinda get if they don't go there.

I look at them shoehorning this into their 52Animated universe as a big sign that this won't be all that faithful at all. As they so often do, they'll miss the point of the full story and won't properly capture the heart of it - because they'll be so busy with their own animated universe agenda that they'll screw it up. I do not trust them to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, lol. If wouldn't be so bad if this hadn't been the second time they've tried to make this story. The fact that they're obviously distracted again just pisses me off.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

To me, it's the death story was just the preamble to the main story arc, which is Funeral,Reign and the aftermath. The real story is the transformation of Superman's world and cast and status in the DCU, all the new characters and concepts this story gave us. Everything that started with Byrne and built with his successors payed off in this arc ( the Luthor stuff with Action 700 the following year).
    Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    That's how I view it, too.
    Exactly. It's the only way to view it, really. It's all one story, just split into three sections.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

An interesting thing about this is that Jerry O'Connell got his first big break by playing a kid who gained superpowers in the TV series "My Secret Identity"

Cut several years later he's voicing Superman (along with other superheroes like Captain Marvel, Nightwing and The Atom)
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

It's unnecessary garbage. The whole story already got done as a great 2007 adaption which cut out all the pointless fluff in favor of the actual meat of the story. And no matter what anyone says, ALL of it was garbage. The Death, The Reign and the Return. Yes, even Reign. The only mildly entertaining thing about it was Hank Henshaw being a psychotic douche and you can pick up any other Hank Henshaw story for that.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    It's unnecessary garbage. The whole story already got done as a great 2007 adaption which cut out all the pointless fluff in favor of the actual meat of the story. And no matter what anyone says, ALL of it was garbage. The Death, The Reign and the Return. Yes, even Reign. The only mildly entertaining thing about it was Hank Henshaw being a psychotic douche and you can pick up any other Hank Henshaw story for that.
    Call it morbid curiosity on my part, since I feel you couldn't be more wrong, but.... what - in your opinion - is the "actual meat" of the story?

Because what I see as the meat of the story was lost almost completely in the 2007 version. Imo, it's a complete retelling, not any kind of real adaptation.
    Last edited by JAK; 03-29-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

It's a case of " you had to be there".

It also helps If you had been reading the last several years of Superman comics prior to " death" or are a fan of that era and version of the character. If none of the above applies to you, then yeah it probably isn't for you and that's fine.

In my case I had been a casual newstand reader from about late 89 early 90 and for me that whole storyline just solidified my fandom of Supes and here I am closing in on 30 years reading his adventures. So, for me I will always love the entirety of that story ( and the 1990-1995 run of Superman in general) and it will always be "my" Superman, even if I have grown to know and love other incarnations since.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    What do you mean?
    I was asking whether people belief, that power is the most important aspect of characters in a Superman story.

For example a few pages ago someone said, that it was horrible that the League would AGAIN job to Doomsday, when most of them weren't in the fight and didn't even have a chance to job

BANNED

Everybody is allowed to have a opinion,even opinions that are totally wrong.

The Reign of the Supermen made me a comic fan,and I never looked back.every week was exciting and "holy **** moment" level almost every week.

The only ppl who don't appreciate this story are those that hate Superman or wasn't around back then,cause if you were,and you were a Superman fan this story was the ****,not ****.

Kon-el was born,that's really all you need to know