Page 33 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, I don't think this movie being a complete standalone adaption would've been much different then what we're getting, since I think even a standalone adaption (at least if it was attempting to cover the entire story) would've made similar adaption choices that this film is making. It just wouldn't have the stigma that's associated with the in-continuity films and their designs I guess, which I think is more people's issue with it then the fact that it's part of an animated continuity (I guess there's also those that want the New 52-inspired Supes to keep being New 52-inspired).
    Very much agreed.

Unlike Gotham By Gaslight, Red Son, or DKR, Death and Return of Superman is not self contained if adapted verbatim. There are plot threads for major characters that require quite a bit of back story if you were to do them straight up (Matrix, Lex 2, Eradicator, and Cyborg Superman). Regardless, for the format of 2 animated movie that are both a little over an hour, you gotta do some considerable fudging of the details even if you're going stand alone continuity.

They finally get a movie for this version of Superman, have the opportunity to reformat him as the please without calling it a reboot or making it confusing, and they get to cash in on Death of Superman.

I mean, the only point of comparison that I can find in this already established universe is with Batman. They adapted Grant Morrison's "Batman and Son" arc, and they used it as a way to give Batman his first movie away from the Justice League in this continuity. Even though they remained pretty faithful in some areas, they took liberties in others. It ranged from small things like Dick taking on parts of Tim's role up to adding in Deathstroke. And in Deathstroke's case they were setting him up for the Teen Titans: The Judas Contract movie adaptation, another partly faithful and partly working with what they have and what they want moving forward.

I expect the very same of this film.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Wow, so in my honest opinion a lot of people are gonna be happy with this movie. Very strong world building, and a pretty strong seamless mixing of the comic and film. I was honestly surprised by how packed the film was.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Wow, so in my honest opinion a lot of people are gonna be happy with this movie. Very strong world building, and a pretty strong seamless mixing of the comic and film. I was honestly surprised by how packed the film was.
    I agree completely. And while it's clearly not a scene by scene adaption of the comic, I think it captured the spirit of the comic even better than how Jurgens wrote it originally.

spoilers:
    Also looks like Kon will be Superboy in the next film, with his new 52 tron suit :/
    end of spoilers

Also just in case any of you are confused about how we are discussing, the film leaked last night.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I agree completely. And while it's clearly not a scene by scene adaption of the comic, I think it captured the spirit of the comic even better than how Jurgens wrote it originally.

spoilers:
    Also looks like Kon will be Superboy in the next film, with his new 52 tron suit :/
    end of spoilers

Also just in case any of you are confused about how we are discussing, the film leaked last night.
    That should make people happy who were worried he wasn't going to show.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member

That's good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Yeah it was amazing. I was wondering if I should wait until both parts are out, like I did for DKR, but I’m convinced to get it Day 1. Tomasi did a wonderful job. Those teasers at the end had me pissed we have to wait a couple months for the next one.

BANNED

Praise Rao, and it looks like he is gonna have a similar hair style as the original, with the leather jacket HELL YEAH.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Praise Rao, and it looks like he is gonna have a similar hair style as the original, with the leather jacket HELL YEAH.
    Based on your new avatar I'm guessing Luthor has a hand in his appearance

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Based on your new avatar I'm guessing Luthor has a hand in his appearance
    It appears that they merged the different versions together,kesel(hair and jacket),Geoff(lex),new52(suit).

I can't wait for the next movie,this move was excellent,and the next will have a DCAU streamlined Reign of the Supermen WITH the actual 4 characters.

Just a reminder before anyone post anymore: try an b mindful of spoilers. This thread isn't tagged as spoilers, and the movie isn't actually out yet, so use spoiler tags please. I know it can be a little annoying, but it's for the benefit of others

These are spoiler tags [spoil] write spoilers here [//spoil] You put what you want to write in the middle and remove just one of the slashes (one of these / ) from the second spoiler box.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    It appears that they merged the different versions together,kesel(hair and jacket),Geoff(lex),new52(suit).

I can't wait for the next movie,this move was excellent,and the next will have a DCAU streamlined Reign of the Supermen WITH the actual 4 characters.
    And people were afraid due to how unorthodox the DC Original Animated Movie Universe is with no Tim Drake and Jason Todd being in it. But they were wrong. I'm actually fully expecting him to ditch the New 52 suit by the time the sequel appears.

BANNED

I just saw the spoilers:
    cafe scene ("My Last Secret")...
    end of spoilers wow, right in the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    And people were afraid due to how unorthodox the DC Original Animated Movie Universe is with no Tim Drake and Jason Todd being in it. But they were wrong. I'm actually fully expecting him to ditch the New 52 suit by the time the sequel appears.
    They took some serious liberties in the sense that this wasn't one-to-one, and they did some world building to set up films in and outside of Superman world, but they stuck to their guns where it mattered, and that's why I think mostly everyone will be pleased. I'm pretty darn happy with the outcome myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    They took some serious liberties in the sense that this wasn't one-to-one, and they did some world building to set up films in and outside of Superman world, but they stuck to their guns where it mattered, and that's why I think mostly everyone will be pleased. I'm pretty darn happy with the outcome myself.
    Just hope Tim will come so spoilers:
    Conner
    end of spoilers can have someone to play with.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Wait...is this already out? I thought the digital wasnt out until July and physical release in August? How are people seeing it?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.