Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    BANNED

New 52 fans: oh well atleast we've got the animated universe, DC cant touch him there.

DC: Challenge accepted, here hold my beer.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    This makes no sense to me to forcing this story in new 52. If death of Superman is so iconic and they want to be really faithful, then why are they forcing something that never happened in new 52 and makes no narrative sense for the verse.
    It... did? At least in the sense of it being referenced in the Morrison run.

I'm struggling to understand what this really means, but in fairness all we have so far is that incredibly random looking screencap.

The new 52 movies have been pretty meh to me so this doesn't change that. I don't hate the idea of an animated movie universe but they failed to do anything interesting with it and failed to develop anyone meaningfully.

Had they actually focused on Superman more thoroughly I'd be more invested in this but for now....I'll go back to wishing they did more Gods and Monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well keep in mind that I'm just speculating here, so there's still a chance that it might be some form of Kon. But given how popular Jon as Superboy is, the fact that they're in the New 52 inspired DCU, the New 52 Superboy was a clone of a Jon, and this would basically let them cash in on future Super Sons and Superman & Son movies using a ready-made Jon Kent Superboy, I can see them going with that.
    That would seem like a sure bet, but I can never be too sure about what kind of future plans the DC Animated Feature team have in mind when they make the creative choices that they do.
    It's even possible that they're thinking of not "stepping on the toes" of the Young Justice show by doing a drastically different Conner Kent in animation. They might wanna do their own thing given they set this in their New 52 inspired universe.
    The only criteria the DC Animated Films seem to have, going by James Tucker from interviews, is featuring characters who haven't been in a movie before.

With that in mind we're very likely getting John Henry Iron as Steel, Eradicator, Henshaw/Cyborg-Superman, and some variant of Superboy.

I don't think Young Justice using Conner is going to matter that much as far as their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    This makes no sense to me to forcing this story in new 52. If death of Superman is so iconic and they want to be really faithful, then why are they forcing something that never happened in new 52 and makes no narrative sense for the verse. New 52 has no parents, his cape is indestructible, he wears armor and his love interest is not Lois. The death of story has iconic imagery with the yellow S symbol on tattered cape, his uniform torn, his parents grieving, him and Lois engaged etc. Why should people care for this in the new 52 set up? It's like they mandated this because the DCEU did it too. And both cases kind of just there with no build up . Who wants to see Superman battle Doomsday a third time in the same way? Because they're saying it's the same as the comic by Jurgens. It's like DC can do nothing new with Superman but kill him. Funny how Batman gets his stories told . No wishy washy dilution. If the intention is to bring SM back to his trunks and Rebirth status this is messy and unnecessary. And most SM animated have been lackluster. Because they are not tackling new material. Where is Red Son? That should be done . But no instead they do this again after DCEU Death and JL flopped. Very strange decision.
    Well, it's not exactly a 1-to-1 New 52 universe.

Technically they had a tip of the hat to YJ in Judas contract with Speedy and Kid Flash being voiced by their YJ counterparts.

I could see them using Kon but making him younger than a teenager (like 10-13).

Maybe, that Death of Superman will happen in the new version of New 52 in which Superman dating with Lois and was killed by Doomsday.

I don't normally watch (or enjoy) animated films, but as a devoted fan of the New52 version of Superman, the thread title was very exciting for me. Then I found out it's basically just him dying and being resurrected as SuperDad. My interest level dropped considerably. But, you know, since it's New52 Superman, I may not be able to resist, even if they are just including him to kill him off again.

Has the New52 Superman appeared in any previous animated movies? If, so which ones? I might have to track them down. Even better if they are on Netflix or Hulu or something.

It's interesting given the title of the movie that it's set in the New52. I would have expected an adaption of the Dan Jurgens Post-Crisis Superman stories from the 90s. I wonder if we'll get some elements of the New52 Doomed storyline. The whole infection thing and Superman fighting it off would be a good addition to the story. I thought the virus spreading around the word and stuff was a cool part of that crossover. Maybe in the end it's an infected SuperDoom, who seems to have lost the Superman/Clark Kent side of him, having Superman rally (Cue John Williams theme if they have the rights to use it) within him to take both himself and Doomsday out together. The virus could be used to help explain how it's not exactly the same Superman who is resurrected- it could be said to have eaten away certain parts of Superman permanently, forcing the regeneration chamber to make guesses in some places so that it can be certain that it resurrects a full Kryptonian and not SuperDoom.

Also, can I just say that Clark Kent's laptop having a picture of the Sun as his desktop wallpaper just after that crossover was the best thing ever? I think that was right after the crossover, when he was recovering in a dark apartment not going outside, and sporting a beard (Yes, New52 Superman briefly had a beard, it wasn't just SuperDad who grew one- it's just that New52 Superman's beard only lasted for an issue or two. I think it was more like he was recuperating and didn't bother to shave than a fashion choice.).

I also wonder if The Last Days of Superman, when the New52 Superman actually died (Apart from the essence of himself that flew into Lana Lang, and eventually merged with SuperDad years later), will gets some nods here and there. I mean, that was the death of Superman story that actually featured the New52 Superman.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Bite Your Head Off, Man Deathscythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Ugh, I really wish DC would just drop this animated universe. The movies themselves have gone seriously downhill every since the New 52-ized everything. Before FP Paradox, the movies were all great. After, not so much.
    Completely agree. I haven't watched any of the post-Flashpoint movies and feel that I haven't missed anything. I was extremely excited for this 2-part adaptation of DoS but will not waste my money on this garbage. This is a huge slap in the face to fans of the original story and its creators, especially as a means of marking the 25th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    New 52 fans: oh well atleast we've got the animated universe, DC cant touch him there.

DC: Challenge accepted, here hold my beer.
    Pretty much. Although with how long its been since a movie set in that verse has been, I actually wasn't thinking "at least I have that" when Rebirth happened. Because I had no idea when to even anticipate a new film so it didn't even feel like I had anything to fall back on. So thankfully that actually cushioned this. I'm less mad than I'm like "well that figures". When it comes to Superman, outside of some very slight details (details which actually I would bank on being erased soon as they are anyway), they've sent the very loud and clear message to New 52 fans to get with Rebirth or get lost. So this is not surprising. If anything I'm more annoyed because I was actually looking forward to a film that embraced its 90s roots, and how DC is so damned stubborn about having to do everything in one confined continuity. This could have easily been a textbook standalone two part story set within only itself.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I don't normally watch (or enjoy) animated films, but as a devoted fan of the New52 version of Superman, the thread title was very exciting for me. Then I found out it's basically just him dying and being resurrected as SuperDad. My interest level dropped considerably. But, you know, since it's New52 Superman, I may not be able to resist, even if they are just including him to kill him off again.

Has the New52 Superman appeared in any previous animated movies? If, so which ones? I might have to track them down. Even better if they are on Netflix or Hulu or something.
    Justice League War, Justice League Throne of Atlantis, Justice League vs Teen Titans, & Justice League Dark (Really a Cameo). Pretty Much most of the DC Animated Films are based off New 52 after Justice League Flashpoint outside of a few recent ones like Gotham by Gaslight which is a period piece.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Justice League War, Justice League Throne of Atlantis, Justice League vs Teen Titans, & Justice League Dark (Really a Cameo). Pretty Much of the DC Animated Films are based off New 52 after Justice League Flashpoint.
    Pretty much all of those were terrible, though. The last good one set in a main animated universe was Flashpoint Paradox.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Pretty much all of those were terrible, though. The last good one set in a main animated universe was Flashpoint Paradox.
    Yeah not really a fan of most I did enjoy Batman Assault on Arkham which was basically a Suicide Squad film, Justice League Gods and Monsters which was not set in a New 52 Inspired Universe, and Gotham by Gaslight. I also thought the Judas Contract was ok until the Kevin Smith cameo I like Kevin but that just took me out of the film at least it was at the end. Justice League Dark was ok too. Most of the New 52 inspired films are just that ok and very underwhelming IMO.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-24-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yeah not really a fan of most I did enjoy Batman Assault on Arkham which was basically a Suicide Squad film, Justice League Gods and Monsters which was set in a New 52 Inspired Universe, and Gotham by Gaslight. I also thought the Judas Contract was ok until the Kevin Smith cameo I like Kevin but that just took me out of the film at least it was at the end. Justice League Dark was ok too. Most of the New 52 inspired films are just that ok and very underwhelming IMO.
    Yeah. Assault on Arkham was good, but that was set in the Arkham video game universe and Gods and Monsters was a totally different universe. The new Suicide Squad movie set in the New 52 universe looks terrible by the way.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yeah. Assault on Arkham was good, but that was set in the Arkham video game universe and Gods and Monsters was a totally different universe. The new Suicide Squad movie set in the New 52 universe looks terrible by the way.
    Sorry meant not set in New 52 type universe for Gods and Monsters.