Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He's probably already more popular than Mae/Linda ever was though, so I can easily see them trying to bring it in is all. By its very nature its going to be a mess. But with how big a mess the Rebirth way was, there's every chance the way they do it in the animated verse will be better just by default. I'm just pretty prepared for a normal now which in "main verse" scenarios, be it comics or animation, Superman's going to have a kid. Its going to be main status quo for a long time, outside of any pretty drastic and sudden rejection of the concept by fans. Those of us who don't like it, we're going to have to look to alternate interpretations now. If DC provides them, which hopefully they do.

I mean who knows, maybe they make the decision to just wait on it. Stranger things have happened. I just rather doubt it.
    It would be better for Damian to hung out with Kon, thus making Jon's existence unnecessary in the animated universe.

Also, Kon was just introduced, no way he's going to pass the Superboy mantle soon.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Kon93

I think our problem is we are trying to wrap this Jon/Kon dilemma into what they did in the comics, when we should just think of the easiest way for both to coexist, I mean SBs origin is NOT exactly like kesel or John's origins, so why would jons.

Jon needs to be there real son, and he needs 10 whole years of normal life, that's where I draw the line in my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I think our problem is we are trying to wrap this Jon/Kon dilemma into what they did in the comics, when we should just think of the easiest way for both to coexist, I mean SBs origin is NOT exactly like kesel or John's origins, so why would jons.

Jon needs to be there real son, and he needs 10 whole years of normal life, that's where I draw the line in my thinking.
    agreed, that's what makes Jon who he is. He needs to grow up like a normal kid just like Clark did with the Kents, or as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Considering the convoluted and amateurish way in which Jon came into existence, he has the same chance as Matrix Supergirl to being introduced in the main animated universe.
    Yeah, I never got on board the Jon train specifically because of the stupid way he was introduced. Now, if I had to look at any sort of mitigating circumstances, I would say he was introduced that way because he supposedly is this good idea (I don't agree, but I know a lot of people feel otherwise...), and because of Flashpoint/New 52/Rebirth/etc. that's what they had to do. But if they're going to introduce Jon to animation (I hope not...), at least don't commit to the messy comic origins and use a cleanish slate to do it in a less clunky fashion.

That said, if they're going to feature Superman's son, I'd rather they just did a one-off and make "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

BANNED

I've never understood the hate for Jon in some circles...sounds like people trying to be try-hard contrarians in light of a popular element...if it's because they're concerned he's being groomed to replace Clark eventually (which I don't have an issue with) then that's a long way off. He'll likely still be ten when we're all seventy.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I never got on board the Jon train specifically because of the stupid way he was introduced. Now, if I had to look at any sort of mitigating circumstances, I would say he was introduced that way because he supposedly is this good idea (I don't agree, but I know a lot of people feel otherwise...), and because of Flashpoint/New 52/Rebirth/etc. that's what they had to do. But if they're going to introduce Jon to animation (I hope not...), at least don't commit to the messy comic origins and use a cleanish slate to do it in a less clunky fashion.

That said, if they're going to feature Superman's son, I'd rather they just did a one-off and make "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
    From interviews, it seems that Jon was introduced this way because they did things along the way, so apart from "let's move this character into the main universe to give Damian a peer", they had no idea (or just didn't care) how they would fix things later.

If they want introduce him, just make a Supersons animated series for kids disconnected from the main DCAU. There isn't a non-messy way to get him in the main DCAU.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-25-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I've never understood the hate for Jon in some circles...sounds like people trying to be try-hard contrarians in light of a popular element...if it's because they're concerned he's being groomed to replace Clark eventually (which I don't have an issue with) then that's a long way off. He'll likely still be ten when we're all seventy.
    I am simply uninterested in an mainline continuity son of Superman. When Superman Returns plot details were emerging, I think everyone knew that the big "plot twist" was going to be that Richard's son was actually Superman's, so there wasn't any real surprise when the kid rammed the piano into the thug. Still, I couldn't help but groan when it happened because, again, I had no interest in seeing this as the main Superman narrative moving forward.

Superman's expansive enough to have a story, or even a series of stories, about his kid, but I don't think the main stories, comics and animated movies, should be that place.

FWIW, I'm not interested in Damian, either, as Batman's kid, nor am I all that happy to see so much of the animated storylines being dedicated to him. I found the character more like a novelty than a needed addition to the Batman mythos. I know people want him to stay forever, but for me if Damian were wiped from continuity forever I wouldn't mind all that much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Superman's expansive enough to have a story, or even a series of stories, about his kid, but I don't think the main stories, comics and animated movies, should be that place.
    Isn't that a little contradictory? You say there's room for expanse, but then say any place that expands the stories to the broadest possible audience aren't the place for him...that he should just be niche, and that's not on because he would not be able to grow and people would not care to invest in him. Spider-Man's had loads of kids with MJ for example, all in alternate universes, and you won't find any casuals who have heard of them (in Mayday's case, this is a crying shame, as she had an 12 year run of comics and isn't even featured in the new Spider-Verse movie despite being a prominent part of the original mainstream Spider-Verse storyline)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-25-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Isn't that a little contradictory? You say there's room for expanse, but then say any place that expands the stories to the broadest possible audience aren't the place for him...that he should just be niche, and that's not on because he would not be able to grow and people would not care to invest in him. Spider-Man's had loads of kids with MJ for example, all in alternate universes, and you won't find any casuals who have heard of them (in Mayday's case, this is a crying shame, as she had an 12 year run of comics and isn't even featured in the new Spider-Verse movie despite being a prominent part of the original mainstream Spider-Verse storyline)
    What I'm saying is that I didn't think of every single possibility. There's probably a place for Jon and Damian and whoever else, I just haven't thought of it, and quite honestly I don't feel like sitting here and coming up with all the good alternatives because the ongoing adventures of Superman's kid just doesn't interest me all that much. But I'm not going to claim that there's no room for a Superson, period, just that as long as I'm not keen on the idea, of course I would want it to be as niche as possible. I mean, don't we all make these kind of arguments here? We see a Superman idea we don't like, and then hope it goes the way of the dodo and Super Ventriloquism?

I think Superman is a great father figure, so having his own son seems very natural to him. I don't think it takes away as long as they don't focus on the son more than Superman. I think the Supersons idea is valid if executed well. I still need to see Superman and his adventures without his son present all the time, and Jon can also have his own adventures with Damian. So mix it all but also do solo stories like usual. Jon is not here to replace Superman any time soon or never, but to add to his legacy. He is another important supporting character like Lois, Lex and the Kents. And.... ugh.. Kara to some extent..
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-25-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Kon93

If young justice can jump ahead in time, then the DCAU should be able to also.

Jump enough to add characters throughout the DCU, age up SB, put Superman in something new to wear, Lois and Clark married and with a child.

I just know someone needs to go visit the Legion

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    agreed, that's what makes Jon who he is. He needs to grow up like a normal kid just like Clark did with the Kents, or as much as possible.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but I take it the only reason a 10 kid Jon from the future doesn't tickle your fancy because he'd have to leave, yes? But doesn't that tick off every other box, though? 1. Raised as a normal child for 10 years 2. Raised in real-time by Lois and Clark. 3. Not a clone or from a different universe. 4. Take care of the two Superboys issue because Jon is simple the Superboy of tomorrow. 5. Allows for Superman and Lois to very easily have adventures without their super powered son, Jon.

Plus, as a bonus, couldn't we also see Lois and Clark have Jon as a baby in the present day WHILE we also get him as a time traveling 10 year old that can actually..well..act as a character. And like the Legion he'd be able to come back to the present and visit literally any time. And this could be the way to directly bridge the Legion with the Superman in animation early on. This is still my go-to option, tbh.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-26-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but I take it the only reason a 10 kid Jon from the future doesn't tickle your fancy because he'd have to leave, yes? But doesn't that tick off every other box, though? 1. Raised as a normal child for 10 years 2. Raised in real-time by Lois and Clark. 3. Not a clone or from a different universe. 4. Take care of the two Superboys issue because Jon is simple the Superboy of tomorrow. 5. Allows for Superman and Lois to very easily have adventures without their super powered son, Jon.

Plus, as a bonus, couldn't we also see Lois and Clark have Jon as a baby in the present day WHILE we also get him as a time traveling 10 year old that can actually..well..act as a character. And like the Legion he'd be able to come back to the present and visit literally any time. And this could be the way to directly bridge the Legion with the Superman in animation early on. This is still my go-to option, tbh.

Flaw in that is present day Lois and Clark wouldn't be attached or have the history needed to have that loving bond we see with them and jon in the comics.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Flaw in that is present day Lois and Clark wouldn't be attached or have the history needed to have that loving bond we see with them and jon in the comics.
    Not really an issue at all if the second part of my post is implemented: giving them a newborn Jon a year into their marriage (logically when you'd set the next Superman related movie after Reign). It would and should be a little strange having their future 10 year old in the present shortly after they have their kid, but given the Superman and Lois we got it would settle into pride and awe at the great kid their kid were turn into. Plus, the hilarity of a 10 year old Jon trying to stop his much younger self from crying.

As far as I can tell this is getting the cake and eating it too, but it leaves behind any logic leaps that time distortion, accelerated aging, or any other "artificial aging to meet Damian's age" options would 100% bring with them. We'd be able to sidestep literally all of the headaches of Rebirth/Reborn while getting both a real-time baby Jon and a 10 year old Jon who is a peer to Damian and can coexist as Superboy with a newly made Kon-El.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Not really an issue at all if the second part of my post is implemented: giving them a newborn Jon a year into their marriage (logically when you'd set the next Superman related movie after Reign). It would and should be a little strange having their future 10 year old in the present shortly after they have their kid, but given the Superman and Lois we got it would settle into pride and awe at the great kid their kid were turn into. Plus, the hilarity of a 10 year old Jon trying to stop his much younger self from crying.

As far as I can tell this is getting the cake and eating it too, but it leaves behind any logic leaps that time distortion, accelerated aging, or any other "artificial aging to meet Damian's age" options would 100% bring with them. We'd be able to sidestep literally all of the headaches of Rebirth/Reborn while getting both a real-time baby Jon and a 10 year old Jon who is a peer to Damian and can coexist as Superboy with a newly made Kon-El.

Everything you just said was the definition of a time paradox,so this idea is a no go from the beginning.Have you not watched Back to the Future? There is a reason you don't go back and impact your past,contact yourself,or others.you don't think a set of parents seeing how their kid turns out will dictate their parenting in the present going forward your crazy,and babysitting yourself,that is paradoxial to the extreme.

Back to the drawing board