Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    If young justice can jump ahead in time, then the DCAU should be able to also.
    About that... if there was anything controversial at all among fans of the show, it was that Young Justice Invasion skipped ahead in time. It was still a good show, but I don't think it came close to the quality of the first season.

Let's just say jumping in time like during these characters' formative years probably isn't best practice, with a few exceptions.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Everything you just said was the definition of a time paradox,so this idea is a no go from the beginning.Have you not watched Back to the Future? There is a reason you don't go back and impact your past,contact yourself,or others.you don't think a set of parents seeing how their kid turns out will dictate their parenting in the present going forward your crazy,and babysitting yourself,that is paradoxial to the extreme.

Back to the drawing board
    Probably no more a time paradox than the Legion visiting Clark when he was a boy and Clark visiting them. He still remembers them as good friends, and Clark was a well known hero in the 31st century. That probably broke about a billion Back To The Future rules, and DC and fans seem pretty chill about it, so I don't see the issue. You've also got other more direct examples like the adult Franklin Richards coming back to the past to save his father from dying and train his younger self. Reed and Sue knew first hand what their boy would apparently turn out to be like, and yet they took it in stride. That same run is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) runs of Fantastic Four ever. It's worth mentioning that Tomasi (writer of Death of Superman and Superman the comic) cites FF as one of his major influences while writing the Super Family.

In the end it's just my opinion obviously, and should be taken as that. I just don't personally see the merit of artifically aging Jon, Lois and Clark, or all 3 up just so Jon can become a peer to Damian. That's more of a logistical headache (due to having to explain details like "how did you guys get a random 10 year old son that looks just like you two when you've been together less than a year?" or "it's funny how when your impossible 10 year old son showed up we also got a second Superboy who looks just like him") than using well tested and highly requested trope in Superman lore--"relative/friend from the future shows up for a visit"-- that bypasses all the aforementioned issues while still giving us Jon Kent verbatim. Hell, it would even open up the door to a possible DC One Million movie given how it's been coming back in style in comics as of late.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    About that... if there was anything controversial at all among fans of the show, it was that Young Justice Invasion skipped ahead in time. It was still a good show, but I don't think it came close to the quality of the first season.

Let's just say jumping in time like during these characters' formative years probably isn't best practice, with a few exceptions.
    I think Invasion was better than YJ season 1.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

I think its problems were the characters they chose to focus on,atleast that was my problem.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Probably no more a time paradox than the Legion visiting Clark when he was a boy and Clark visiting them. He still remembers them as good friends, and Clark was a well known hero in the 31st century. That probably broke about a billion Back To The Future rules, and DC and fans seem pretty chill about it, so I don't see the issue. You've also got other more direct examples like the adult Franklin Richards coming back to the past to save his father from dying and train his younger self. Reed and Sue knew first hand what their boy would apparently turn out to be like, and yet they took it in stride. That same run is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) runs of Fantastic Four ever. It's worth mentioning that Tomasi (writer of Death of Superman and Superman the comic) cites FF as one of his major influences while writing the Super Family.

In the end it's just my opinion obviously, and should be taken as that. I just don't personally see the merit of artifically aging Jon, Lois and Clark, or all 3 up just so Jon can become a peer to Damian. That's more of a logistical headache (due to having to explain details like "how did you guys get a random 10 year old son that looks just like you two when you've been together less than a year?" or "it's funny how when your impossible 10 year old son showed up we also got a second Superboy who looks just like him") than using well tested and highly requested trope in Superman lore--"relative/friend from the future shows up for a visit"-- that bypasses all the aforementioned issues while still giving us Jon Kent verbatim. Hell, it would even open up the door to a possible DC One Million movie given how it's been coming back in style in comics as of late.
    The Legion are way from the future,not anywhere close to their actual lifetime,so it works.

Also the future older visitor works because its considered just a visit,we don't want Jon to just visit,we want him to stay

I think I'm leaning toward alternate universe version of jon.imagine the rebirth DCU blowing up and he was it's only survivor,and ending up in the pre flashpoint universe,with a married but childless Lois and Clark,and SB as the superboy.

I think its problems were the characters they chose to focus on,atleast that was my problem.
    Character selection was a problem for me, too. I'm not terrifically fond of the sidekicks, or teenage characters in general, but the show made me invested in those characters. Then season two rolls around, and the focus shifted to Beetlemania. My interest in a franchise is almost always character driven, and less about the lore or the world itself, so it felt a bit like a stomach punch to see the show shift like that.

Anyway, "No" to time jumps in general.

I think I'm leaning toward alternate universe version of jon.imagine the rebirth DCU blowing up and he was it's only survivor,and ending up in the pre flashpoint universe,with a married but childless Lois and Clark,and SB as the superboy.
    Doesn't this literally go against you're whole "we want Jon to be raised by Lois and Clark from birth" and "he'd be a stranger to them." What you're describing is essentially adopting a 10 year old rather than the "normal childhood" you drew the line in the sand about earlier. This would essentially by Jon Kent via Chris Kent and Power Girl's origin, no? I personally would be opposed to it, but I'm wondering why this would be acceptable when it breaks the majority of your Jon Kent "must haves" you mentioned?

Doesn't this also do nothing to address the two Superboys issue? Conner is still too new in the DCAU to be giving up his name to a new generation, and Jon, if he were introduced, could be called nothing else but Superboy given that's how he's currently marketed (to great effect) and he's the one who rehabilitated the name after the New 52. In the animated universe there don't seem to be any character from the same time period with the same hero name at the same time that aren't part of the GL Corps. For simplicity sake, I don't think they do that in the animated movies.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Noticed that Lois also has purple eyes in this movie. Is that a Lois Lane thing in animation, and for how long? I really like it.

DlkPzq6XcAA1Ewy.jpg

DlkPzq6XgAo7hfC.jpg

She has purple eyes in the comics now, too. I don't know how long its been a thing, tbh. Maybe since Superman TAS? I don't recall it back when I was a kid, at least.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She has purple eyes in the comics now, too. I don't know how long its been a thing, tbh. Maybe since Superman TAS? I don't recall it back when I was a kid, at least.
    well that's nice. I hope it stays. I also like Superman with blue eyes.

Yeah, I think it's an STAS thing. In the animated movies, I want to say the purple eyes started with Flashpoint Paradox.

Kon93

Doesn't this literally go against you're whole "we want Jon to be raised by Lois and Clark from birth" and "he'd be a stranger to them." What you're describing is essentially adopting a 10 year old rather than the "normal childhood" you drew the line in the sand about earlier. This would essentially by Jon Kent via Chris Kent and Power Girl's origin, no? I personally would be opposed to it, but I'm wondering why this would be acceptable when it breaks the majority of your Jon Kent "must haves" you mentioned?

Doesn't this also do nothing to address the two Superboys issue? Conner is still too new in the DCAU to be giving up his name to a new generation, and Jon, if he were introduced, could be called nothing else but Superboy given that's how he's currently marketed (to great effect) and he's the one who rehabilitated the name after the New 52. In the animated universe there don't seem to be any character from the same time period with the same hero name at the same time that aren't part of the GL Corps. For simplicity sake, I don't think they do that in the animated movies.

Well of course it isn't perfect, neither of our ideas were anywhere near perfect.

Yes it would be a alternate jon, so this Lois and Clark wouldn't have raised him, but jon would have been raised by his parents and for 10 years straight before he went SUPER.so it wouldn't be exactly like Chris or Karen cause atleast 1 side of the family dynamic would be totally lovingly invested in the other side with a full young life of memories to boot. So Jon would be raised and have that normal kid life I want,and all the craziness wouldn't start until he was already superboy.

And no this idea isn't my 1st choice either, my 1st 1 was just to Rebirth everything and move forward.

About the name thing, either have SB personally call Jon superlad as a tribute to you trying to figure this out lol, jk.
    Or
    Have the next 2 or 3 movies have young SB in them, and aging, then introduce jon when SB is older like he is in the comics and the YJ show, I'm sure by then he wouldn't care.

My 1st choices are really to Rebirth Jon in them over the next few movies to get SB older and Jon feeling slightly more natural coming in and as superboy.

Yes it would be a alternate jon, so this Lois and Clark wouldn't have raised him, but jon would have been raised by his parents and for 10 years straight before he went SUPER.so it wouldn't be exactly like Chris or Karen cause atleast 1 side of the family dynamic would be totally lovingly invested in the other side with a full young life of memories to boot. So Jon would be raised and have that normal kid life I want,and all the craziness wouldn't start until he was already superboy.
    But it would be like Powergirl in the sense that he wouldn't see our Superman and Lois as his parents, just like how Karen didn't really see Clark as her relative in the same way that she saw her Clark as her older cousin/"dad" (depending on your continuity). I'm sure he'd like them well enough, but he'd be old enough not to call this Clark and Lois mom and dad, but rather "uncle and aunt" or something less close. And at that point there's a vastly different dynamic and feel to the character that remains pretty well removed from his comics version. At that point he's an orphaned foster kid living with foster parents who happen to look like his old ones. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm confused as to how this character upheaval and overhaul is the preferred option.

About the name thing, either have SB personally call Jon superlad
    That'd be funny, but I doubt they'd give him another code name anywhere for quite some time.

Have the next 2 or 3 movies have young SB in them, and aging, then introduce jon when SB is older like he is in the comics and the YJ show, I'm sure by then he wouldn't care.
    It's not really about if Conner would care or not. It's about two characters in the same time period and continuity having the same name in these movies being something that seems to have been avoided. GL seems to be the only exception for obvious reasons.

My 1st choices are really to Rebirth Jon in
    From what I understand James tucker, the producer of these films, and firmly stated that there would be no reboots or major continuity alterations going forward.

Kon93

But it would be like Powergirl in the sense that he wouldn't see our Superman and Lois as his parents, just like how Karen didn't really see Clark as her relative in the same way that she saw her Clark as her older cousin/"dad" (depending on your continuity). I'm sure he'd like them well enough, but he'd be old enough not to call this Clark and Lois mom and dad, but rather "uncle and aunt" or something less close. And at that point there's a vastly different dynamic and feel to the character that remains pretty well removed from his comics version. At that point he's an orphaned foster kid living with foster parents who happen to look like his old ones. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm confused as to how this character upheaval and overhaul is the preferred option.

That'd be funny, but I doubt they'd give him another code name anywhere for quite some time.

It's not really about if Conner would care or not. It's about two characters in the same time period and continuity having the same name in these movies being something that seems to have been avoided. GL seems to be the only exception for obvious reasons.

From what I understand James tucker, the producer of these films, and firmly stated that there would be no reboots or major continuity alterations going forward.

The Jon and Karen comparison is a good one, but for that Jon is 10 and is not gonna be as rational about the situation as Karen. He is gonna be crushed and more needy than her, plus he will probably be way more pissed.

I like this over the time travel idea, because there is no chance of creating time paradoxes, no need to leave, no multiples of characters. Jon from another universe would not fall into any of those issues.

Everyone can call them both superboy all I care but SB would personally call him superlad just because he sees him as a little kid.

SB would have some say in it, because he would be using the name for years by then, and by the time Jon shows up SB will be older and ready for a change anyway, you know his Nightwing move.

Well it's not gonna be easy to bring Jon in no matter how they do it, but just magically letting movie magic make it happen would be easier and really we all want him to happen in the DCAU, and this is the universe we have, who says we can't just throw a wrench in it and make it happen just because we can

Never mind
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-31-2018 at 10:17 AM.