Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    About that... if there was anything controversial at all among fans of the show, it was that Young Justice Invasion skipped ahead in time. It was still a good show, but I don't think it came close to the quality of the first season.

Let's just say jumping in time like during these characters' formative years probably isn't best practice, with a few exceptions.
    I guess you can call it controversial I personally thought season 2 was better than season 1 but it wasn't until they started shifting Focus back to the original crew that I felt like the writing and the plotting really started to gel together.

In other words the episode where Aqualad fights Artemis.

Either way, Young Justice was still a great show. And yet another great notched under Greg Weisman.

BANNED

Well, we had a most interesting ninth issue of the digital tie-in series exploring one of the reasons for the Superman/Wonder Woman split, and it honestly does feel like this should have been how they broke up in the New 52. Diana reads very much like her N52 self, less robotic, a lot of heart put into her narrative. S/WW fans will be annoyed with what Diana comes to understand, but they might also beam with joy at the last line uttered in the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Curiously, the last son of Krypton have the "S" from the man of Steel movie. I wonder why.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

All of them look great but Steel and Eradicator are my favorites design-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Curiously, the last son of Krypton have the "S" from the man of Steel movie. I wonder why.
    Because he’s a Superman who kills lol. I doubt it’s more than an Easter egg.

I'm not feeling Henshaw's design here, but being my favorite villain means I'm probably too biased to the original lol

I'm very much looking forward to this, though I wish Henshaw's voice was robotic-sounding.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I'm not feeling Henshaw's design here, but being my favorite villain means I'm probably too biased to the original lol
    Yeah. There was something cool about the way the original only looked 'half' robotic. Making him all metal like that loses something.

Half kryptonian, half cyborg. Half his costume should look EXACTLY like Superman, the other half a robotic monster. Even if they brightened up the blue to give more contrast or something, that may help... but yeah, not feeling this either.

Cyborg_Superman_002.jpg

Kon93

Agree the original henshaw suit was awesome, and I would think they would use Supermans voice actor for ol Hank also, but through a robot noise maker

Coverage of the NYCC panel:
    spoilers:
    Clip of first few minutes shown featuring Cat Grant interviewing G Gordon Godfrey who I believe is voiced by Trevor Devall. Also featured Superboy rescuing a couple in an alley and Steel stopping a bus from running over Jimmy Olson.

Tucker says extra real estate with a sequel allowed them to do the four replacement Supermen that fans have requested. Says they each reflect core aspect of Superman.

Editor of the original Reign of the Supermen story helped guide the story says Krieg.

“No mullets will be seen in this movie. It’s a mullet free zone” says Tucker.

[Audience boos]

“We’ve lost them!” -Krieg

Designing Cyborg Superman posed an interesting challenge for Bourassa, incorporating horror and humanity into the character.

Director Sam Liu was happy when he first saw Bourassa’s Cyborg Superman design. Likens it to a Frankenstein monster that has a subtle sensitivity.

Tucker says that Steel is a sentimental choice as a Shaq fan.

Another clip shown featuring Eradicator confronting and attacking Lex Luthor.

Nyambi has seen the film and calls voicing Martian Manhunter a dream come true.

Olagundoye calls the voice acting process thrilling. Fabian who never gets to play roles like this in live action relishes voicing Cyborg Superman. Voice director Wes Gleason had to tell inexperienced voice actor Fabian not to hurt his voice in “efforting” voice sessions.

Third clip shown of Cyborg Superman trying to convince Lois Lane he’s the real Superman.

“Buckle up, this one’s a roller coaster,” Tim Sheridan.

Krieg loved writing for Rebecca Romijn as Lois. “She’s an ass-kicker.”

Favorite part of character?

Olagundoye- being a sassy broad

Nyambi- deadpan character. Carl Lumbly’s voice work in Justice League cartoon influenced his portrayal.

Nyambi is an unambashed comic fan. This is his 8th time attending NYCC and first time on a panel. When Miereanu asked him to come to NYCC he already bought his pass!

Last clip of Superboy as Lex Corps security joining the Justice League as presidential bodyguards much to their chagrin. Notice a shoutout to animation producer Alan Burnett with mention of Burnett Boulevard.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

Just saw the new animated Death of Superman film on Blu-ray. This....was....incredible. Not only was this THE best adaptation of the original "Death of Superman" comic, but it was also one of the best DC animated films I've seen. Very gory & bloody, without being gratuitous. The theme of self-sacrifice for the good of the many was very pronounced in this film, as it was in the original comic.

Note there are SPOILERS below - I don't know how to insert spoilers on this board, so please don't continue reading if you haven't seen the film & genuinely want to be surprised.

In some ways this film actually improved on the original source material; the other DC characters that Doomsday fought & defeated were the Justice League (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc.) prior to finally battling Superman (instead of more obscure characters like Booster Gold, etc. - like in the comic). The storyline leading up to the battle was interesting as well, re: Clark telling Lois his secret identity right before having to leave to fight Doomsday, the astronauts in space, etc.

The battle between Superman & Doomsday was epic, vicious, and pulse pounding. Very intense, with windows/glass shattering, a lot of buildings being damaged, etc. Very well-done here.

I haven't read the comic in a while, but I don't remember Lex Luthor getting involved with the Doomsday battle at all, as he did in this film. However, it worked well here - i.e., the only reason he wanted to get involved was so he could take the credit for defeating Doomsday, not Superman. And, after Superman "died" he acted like he had a large part in the battle, when in point of fact Superman actually had to save him. What a scum-bag, i.e. using the death of Superman as an excuse to make himself the "hero".

The film clocked at roughly 1 hour, 20 minutes - and, didn't feel at all rushed. Before I saw this I felt it would have to be at least two hours to do the story justice, but actually the battle itself (leading up to Superman's "death") was only about 4 issues IIRC, so almost 1 1/2 hours seems about right.

I only have one extremely minor complaint: I would have preferred if the DC superhero uniforms had been the '90's versions, to be more in line with the original comic. However, this is a minor nitpick & didn't affect my enjoyment of the film at all.

Really looking forward to the forthcoming Reign of the Superman in 2019. I do hope it's at least 3 hours, since that storyline was a lot more involved & intricate than the Doomsday battle. It also took place over many months, instead of just within the space of a day (or less). In any case, it definitely needs to be longer than 1 1/2 hours.

Side-note: I've been waiting for a decent adaptation of this storyline for years. It was adapted into the TV series Smallville (not that great), the 2007 animated film (terrible), and Batman vs. Superman - a film I truly & unequivocally hated. So, while I was skeptical that this new 2018 adaptation would be any good, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Coverage of the NYCC panel:
    spoilers:
    Clip of first few minutes shown featuring Cat Grant interviewing G Gordon Godfrey who I believe is voiced by Trevor Devall. Also featured Superboy rescuing a couple in an alley and Steel stopping a bus from running over Jimmy Olson.

Tucker says extra real estate with a sequel allowed them to do the four replacement Supermen that fans have requested. Says they each reflect core aspect of Superman.

Editor of the original Reign of the Supermen story helped guide the story says Krieg.

“No mullets will be seen in this movie. It’s a mullet free zone” says Tucker.

[Audience boos]

“We’ve lost them!” -Krieg

Designing Cyborg Superman posed an interesting challenge for Bourassa, incorporating horror and humanity into the character.

Director Sam Liu was happy when he first saw Bourassa’s Cyborg Superman design. Likens it to a Frankenstein monster that has a subtle sensitivity.

Tucker says that Steel is a sentimental choice as a Shaq fan.

Another clip shown featuring Eradicator confronting and attacking Lex Luthor.

Nyambi has seen the film and calls voicing Martian Manhunter a dream come true.

Olagundoye calls the voice acting process thrilling. Fabian who never gets to play roles like this in live action relishes voicing Cyborg Superman. Voice director Wes Gleason had to tell inexperienced voice actor Fabian not to hurt his voice in “efforting” voice sessions.

Third clip shown of Cyborg Superman trying to convince Lois Lane he’s the real Superman.

“Buckle up, this one’s a roller coaster,” Tim Sheridan.

Krieg loved writing for Rebecca Romijn as Lois. “She’s an ass-kicker.”

Favorite part of character?

Olagundoye- being a sassy broad

Nyambi- deadpan character. Carl Lumbly’s voice work in Justice League cartoon influenced his portrayal.

Nyambi is an unambashed comic fan. This is his 8th time attending NYCC and first time on a panel. When Miereanu asked him to come to NYCC he already bought his pass!

Last clip of Superboy as Lex Corps security joining the Justice League as presidential bodyguards much to their chagrin. Notice a shoutout to animation producer Alan Burnett with mention of Burnett Boulevard.
    end of spoilers
    I need a trailer for it, come on DC don’t leave me waiting for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post

I'm very much looking forward to this, though I wish Henshaw's voice was robotic-sounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah. There was something cool about the way the original only looked 'half' robotic. Making him all metal like that loses something.

Half kryptonian, half cyborg. Half his costume should look EXACTLY like Superman, the other half a robotic monster. Even if they brightened up the blue to give more contrast or something, that may help... but yeah, not feeling this either.
    Agreed. That Henshaw design is so ugly it's firmly into "fugly" territory. Which is a shame, since the rest are pretty good designs. Figures they'd screw up my favorite one, lol. Even shortening the damn sleeves would be an improvement. That design trait just needs to be "terminated with extreme prejudice", imo.

A brighter blue would be nice, but that's the problem in setting this in their "pseudo-52" line: the main Superman costume wasn't great to begin with.

I finally did see the movie, though - and overall, it's good. It's missing A LOT, but it's good. Still pissed that they had the nerve to say they were going to do a faithful representation this time. If we hadn't already had "Superman: Doomsday" I'd feel differently, but... even though I did enjoy it overall, there's always that "but..." in the back of my head. Thankfully, I paid for it with Amazon Prime "no rush shipping" digital credits so it didn't really cost me anything.
    Last edited by JAK; 10-07-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Top-selling Blu-rays, week of August 19

1. Avengers: Infinity War, $48m 1st week
    2. Ready Player One, $660K for $18m total
    3. The Death of Superman, $490K for $4.1m total

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Top-selling Blu-rays, week of August 19

1. Avengers: Infinity War, $48m 1st week
    2. Ready Player One, $660K for $18m total
    3. The Death of Superman, $490K for $4.1m total

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart
    Decent start. Beat out the Judas Contract and the last two Superman movies. Hopefully this means we’ll get more Superman movies. If Reign does well too it’s almost certain.