Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While my opinion of Hush has dropped over the years, I gotta say I wouldn’t mind getting an animated Superman origin because apparently we’ve never gotten one. I’d only want it if we’re doing Morrison’s Action Comics though, and since Pa and Ma are alive in DoS, I’m not sure they’d be interested in adapting that run. We better get another Superman Movie in 2020 though, apparently they’re doing ANOTHER 2-part animated Batman movie in 2020, The Long Halloween. I should be amazed that DC continues to fail at capitalizing on Aquaman and WW’s success but I’m not.
    I'm obviously not a big fan of STAS but that show's origin story, complete with the reimagined Brainiac, was really good. One of the neat continuity things was that the music they played when Krypton blew up was the same music they played in "For the Man Who Has Everything" when the dreamworld Krypton also exploded.

Anyway, going back to do a Superman origin story would be like a musician on stage who elected to replay his first song while doing a 1-hour show. Unwillingness to move Superman forward is part of that which holds the character back.

I understand the irony of saying that while not being a Jon fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I wouldn't say he gets jobbed. Batman acknowledges he can't win in any sustained fight (even one where Superman is being controlled by Poison Ivy and resisting) so he uses his gadgets to run out the clock never really having the upper hand until the control can be broken.
    Exactly this, but if the animated version doesn't explicitly point out that Batman has to put all his eggs in one basket, and that there's no way he can win the fight even with Kryptonite, then all the nuance of the fight will be lost and it'll be the same derivative crap we all hate.

Edit: one of the fight's salient features was that Batman's plan works because he knows Superman is trying to fight off Poison Ivy's control. It's a good fight because it shows that Batman is prepared and has a strong understanding of Superman, but it's still not a fight he could otherwise win if Superman just tried to kill him.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 01-05-2019 at 02:00 PM.

The mind control is still a huge point of concern for me though. Like I said, its just so overdone anymore. Probably wasn't that big a deal at the time the original story was published, but fast forward to today and its just something that needs a damn long rest.

Superman dies, Superman goes evil, Superman is mind controlled. Take these three concepts, sweep them up in a dust pan, and throw them the hell away.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The mind control is still a huge point of concern for me though. Like I said, its just so overdone anymore. Probably wasn't that big a deal at the time the original story was published, but fast forward to today and its just something that needs a damn long rest.

Superman dies, Superman goes evil, Superman is mind controlled. Take these three concepts, sweep them up in a dust pan, and throw them the hell away.
    It really is sad that Superman's most remembered moment is his death. What does it say about the world's greatest superhero when his death is the only major moment in his life? Superman should be celebrated for his life, not his death. In my opinion, these concepts should get the movie treatment: Superman becomes a dad, Superman goes to live in New Krypton, Superman goes to Bizarro World (the Rebirth version).

I'm with you. "Hush" would've been good at a different time. Sadly, EVIL Superman and B v S stuff have been so overdone I feel WB hasn't done anything to create new interest in Superman the character.

Despite all the times Superman has died, the functional equivalent of "Superman in refrigerators" is making him an antagonist to tell another character's story.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 01-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    It really is sad that Superman's most remembered moment is his death. What does it say about the world's greatest superhero when his death is the only major moment in his life? Superman should be celebrated for his life, not his death. In my opinion, these concepts should get the movie treatment: Superman becomes a dad, Superman goes to live in New Krypton, Superman goes to Bizarro World (the Rebirth version).
    I don't like Superman as a dad as a concept, but I'd sure as hell welcome it more than those above three storytelling tropes. Which goes to show just how much I hate them, because I am no fan of Superdad by any stretch. Unless of course a movie showed him just plain having a baby. That'd I might actually have an interest in. Just not magic ten year olds. But again, I'd still even take that over another death adaptation.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Master Hero Vladimir

I don't like Superman as a dad as a concept, but I'd sure as hell welcome it more than those above three storytelling tropes. Which goes to show just how much I hate them, because I am no fan of Superdad by any stretch. Unless of course a movie showed him just plain having a baby. That'd I might actually have an interest in. Just not magic ten year olds. But again, I'd still even take that over another death adaptation.
    Ok, that seems fair. I assume you want a story that focuses on Superman as a character instead of a symbol or an archetype for others to follow.

I wouldn't say he gets jobbed. Batman acknowledges he can't win in any sustained fight (even one where Superman is being controlled by Poison Ivy and resisting) so he uses his gadgets to run out the clock never really having the upper hand until the control can be broken.
    I think they also made it clear in War how outclassed Batman was against Superman. He basically relied on Supreman's code against killing (and knowing his identity) to stop him and GL from getting creamed.

Kon93

I got into comics right at the same time superman was dead and the 4 imposters took over the books.i remember seeing that HUGE poster on the wall at my lcs,and I also remember the big draw for me wasn't "all" superman,it was these 4 new guys,4 dudes that looked badass to me.

I read the Reign before the Death story,yeah I know that's sacrilegious,but even though yes this was a big superman story,it was the 4 supermen that got me entranced.

Superman has tons of stories that are great where he was alive,all hero,and not reliant on those 3 tropes above

I bet the next “Superman” centric animated movie will be Doomsday Clock. Yeah it’s not even finished ye but I can tell it’s only a matter of time.

It will probably be f'n Injustice knowing WB's.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I bet the next “Superman” centric animated movie will be Doomsday Clock. Yeah it’s not even finished ye but I can tell it’s only a matter of time.
    I figure the next Supermen-centric movies, if they're in-continuity, will probably introduce Supergirl.
    It will probably be f'n Injustice knowing WB's.
    I can see them doing Injustice as an Elseworlds movie, but I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I figure the next Supermen-centric movies, if they're in-continuity, will probably introduce Supergirl.

I can see them doing Injustice as an Elseworlds movie, but I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon.
    They already did Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, I doubt they’d bother to rehash Kara’s Origin again. With Kon entering the picture I don’t see them introducing any new Super-characters for a while. Damn I really want another Superman solo film that doesn’t star Lex, or Doomsday, or the Goddamn Batman. I almost want an adaption of the Byrne story where he kills Zod, and then follow that up with an adaption of Exile where he goes into space, gets captured by Mongul and fights on War World. But we’ll probably never get that. I’m so sick of the Batman fanboys running everything at DC.

Kon93

I wouldn't mind some new story,made just for the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They already did Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, I doubt they’d bother to rehash Kara’s Origin again. With Kon entering the picture I don’t see them introducing any new Super-characters for a while. Damn I really want another Superman solo film that doesn’t star Lex, or Doomsday, or the Goddamn Batman. I almost want an adaption of the Byrne story where he kills Zod, and then follow that up with an adaption of Exile where he goes into space, gets captured by Mongul and fights on War World. But we’ll probably never get that. I’m so sick of the Batman fanboys running everything at DC.
    Well, I thought it'd be pretty f'n stupid to re-do the Death of Superman (Doomsday) storyline again in form of DTV...

I think killing Zod would probably trigger a lot of fans, so maybe I wouldn't want to see that? Not sure. As for the Exile portion, they kind of captured that in the JL cartoon. I know the cartoon and DTV line should be treated differently, but if for some reason they wanted to make a 75-minute version of "For the Man Who Has Everything," I'd also point out that they did it in the JL cartoon.

Speaking of Alan Moore stories, I'd like to see "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow." I don't know why Pre-Crisis stories don't get more love. I take that back, I do know why, but they should go back a little further in time.