Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If this story replaces Kon-El for an animated version of Jon, I riot.
    How would that happen exactly? Like how could Jon replace Kon in a way that makes sense?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Why not just adapt it with the staunchly post-Crisis setting that it was originally told in?
    Yes, please! And thank you!

DC hates the JLI characters, so that might be a big part of it, but their role would actually be pretty easy to omit. Considering 90% of the units sold are going to be to hardcore nerds already very familiar with the source material, why won't they give us a page by page adaptation?? I for one, would love that...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    How would that happen exactly? Like how could Jon replace Kon in a way that makes sense?
    Superboy is still a Cadmus clone but one made with Lois and Clark's DNA (even though Clark and Lex actually make more sense by comparison) and ends up getting adopted by Clark and Lois by the end of Reign.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yes, please! And thank you!

DC hates the JLI characters, so that might be a big part of it, but their role would actually be pretty easy to omit. Considering 90% of the units sold are going to be to hardcore nerds already very familiar with the source material, why won't they give us a page by page adaptation?? I for one, would love that...
    100% Why bother with trying to tell a two part "source material accurate" version in a continuity that isn't conducive to such a telling?
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Superboy is still a Cadmus clone but one made with Lois and Clark's DNA (even though Clark and Lex actually make more sense by comparison) and ends up getting adopted by Clark and Lois by the end of Reign.
    I'd rather they just naturally have Jon the normal means, so yeah, I hope that won't be the case.

Incredible Member

I really wanted these movies to be in their own continuity instead of the animated New52 one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

Has the New52 Superman appeared in any previous animated movies? If, so which ones? I might have to track them down. Even better if they are on Netflix or Hulu or something.
    He has appeared in JL: War, JL: Throne of Atlantis, JL VS TT, and Justice League Dark. He is usually a filler character or his only purpose for the story is to be mind controlled by the villain. It has happened three times.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 02-25-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    100% Why bother with trying to tell a two part "source material accurate" version in a continuity that isn't conducive to such a telling?
    They were able to be relatively faithful and true to Judas Contract so I imagine that might be their thinking here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    He has appeared in JL: War, JL: Throne of Atlantis, JL VS TT, and Justice League Dark. He is usually a filler character or his only purpose for the story is to be mind controlled by the villain. It has happened three times.
    He did get to have a few cool moments in JLvsTT once he was out of that mind control .

BANNED

Is there a simple way of bringing Matrix/Linda back somehow?

It's pure ass when they say these movies will be more accurate,but use the new 52/animated universe.i mean sure they could do almost anything and be more faithful than the older movie,but faithful to the Death-Funeral-Reign,I don't think so.

I like Jon for many reasons,but 2 reasons that have to do with kon is that he takes the "son of Superman" stuff away from kon.ive never liked that,and I don't see Kon that way.i see him as humanity trying to create their own superman.i see Kon kinda like how going to the moon,and building skyscrapers,flying planes,and having smart phones is humanities greatness always being pushed.the other reason I like Jon as Supermans son/superboy is that kon is soooooo ready for the next step in his evolution as a character,and Jon helps push him that direction.

I would LOVE to see kon-el come back in the comics,either in the SUPER books or a YJ series,at the same time as season 3 of YJ has him,and show up in this animated Reign movie,ALL 3 synced up to have the same origin,powerset,look,and personality,that is my dream anyway.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'd rather they just naturally have Jon the normal means, so yeah, I hope that won't be the case.
    Think about this from the apparent perspective of the DC animated film department. They've already got Damian way up an running, Super Sons is a proven success with very little apparent criticism, Jon Kent's Superboy is, generally speaking, a breakout hit, they seem very keen on building an animated universe off the back of New 52 inspired Justice League War, and the New 52's Superboy is biologically Superman and Lois' son.

If they went the natural way about this, Damian would be 23 or 24 by the time Jon were 10. It wasn't feasible for the comics, and it's not feasible for the animated universe. And the idea of going for a Superman Reborn situation is not only needlessly complicated for animation (it's even complicated for comics given the fact that some people still don't really get it), but it's also already been shot down by one of the people in charge saying that there will not be anymore reboots to their universe.

My preferred option for the movies would've been to make it so Jon is Clark's son from the future. The Legion is obviously gaining steam at DC, so why not reintroduce the concept of time travel to the more casual Superman fans watching the animated movies via having his son come back from the future to stay awhile?

But, if I'm honest, making him a clone of Lois and Clark and evoking the ending of All Star Superman is actually clearer, and leaves us with far less to explain, so I'd get it if they did it this way. You know what I mean?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-25-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Think about this from the apparent perspective of the DC animated film department. They've already got Damian way up an running, Super Sons is a proven success with very little apparent criticism, Jon Kent's Superboy is, generally speaking, a breakout hit, they seem very keen on building an animated universe off the back of New 52 inspired Justice League War, and the New 52's Superboy is biologically Superman and Lois' son.

If they went the natural way about this Damian would be 23 or 24 by the time Jon were 10. It wasn't feasible for the comics, and it's not feasible for the animated universe. And the idea of going for a Superman Reborn situation is not only needlessly complicated for animation (it's even complicated for comics given the fact that some people still don't really get it), but it's also already been shot down by one of the people in charge saying that there will not be anymore reboots to their universe.

My preferred option for the movies would've been to make it so Jon is Clark's son from the future. The Legion is obviously gaining steam at DC, so why not reintroduce the concept of time travel to the more casual Superman fans watching the animated movies via having his son come back from the future to stay a while?

But, if I'm honest, making him a clone of Lois and Clark and evoking the ending of All Star Superman is actually clear, and leaves us with far less to explain, so I'd get it if they did it this way. You know what I mean?
    That..makes a lot of sense, you are right in many ways, especially for how they would have to figure out a way to have Damian be the same age as Jon. It's bad news for Kon, but I'm doubtful he'd be in these movies anyways. I always appreciate your theorizing on things like this!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That..makes a lot of sense, you are right in many ways, especially for how they would have to figure out a way to have Damian be the same age as Jon. It's bad news for Kon, but I'm doubtful he'd be in these movies anyways. I always appreciate your theorizing on things like this!
    Thanks DragonPiece! As someone who started collecting comics because he thought "huh, why's Superman skinnier, shorter, and wearing a jacket" and picked up a super old (by that time) Superboy issue, and also thinks Super Sons and Jon/Damian are fantastic, I'm super conflicted. The Young Justice show and the rumblings of Conner's comic return helps enough that I'm fine with them doing this "updated" version of the story.

But, ya know, speculation is speculation, and all we have to go off is a screen shot. Telling as said screen shot is, nothing is quite set in stone. As I've said before though, Super Sons is a hard check not to cash, ya know?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-25-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

I really wanted these movies to be in their own continuity instead of the animated New52 one.

Well they're only being accurate. New 52 Supetman really was a filler character in Johns JL and he did get mind controlled or manipulated atleast once a year during his 5 years.

I don't think he was mind-controlled in Throne of Atlantis. However, it's my civic duty to point out that DC and WB only is confident in three types of Superman stories: his origin, his death, and when he ends up fighting other good guys.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

All the headaches around Jon's age can be solved quite simply by Brainiac's bottled cities, where time moves faster. All they need to do is have Brainiac snatch Metropolis with Lois and Superman inside it, wait a month, and presto, you've got a 10 year old Jonathan Kent raised by Lois & Clark, who enjoyed semi-retirement while working for a way to free Metropolis from Brainiac's clutches for a decade before finally defeating him and restoring Metropolis.

BANNED

Which is pretty close to the actual comic history,and they do want this to be "faithful" lol.

I like Jon as natural birth,a real everyday of his life from birth to young boy son of Superman and Lois myself,not POOF show up and already be 10.

Kon is the clone created to be humanities replacement Superman,by humans,for humans...just let out a lil to early....and not a perfect 1 to 1 clone of Superman.