Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default What comics are you reading?

What independent comics are you reading? What's good about them? Looking for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne911 View Post
    What independent comics are you reading? What's good about them? Looking for recommendations.
    Maybe it would help if you told people what you generally like first?
    I could recommend things, but are your reading interests similar to what an old guy like me tends to read?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe it would help if you told people what you generally like first?
    I could recommend things, but are your reading interests similar to what an old guy like me tends to read?
    Thats kinda hard to do with independents cause they dont fall under the usual superhero comics. Im looking for something unique and different with a good story.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Dark Horse: Incognegro, socio-historical b&w about a reporter passing for white, championing (as best he's able) black notables; Resident Alien, who's passing (hmmm...a theme for me?) as a human doctor in a slice of life story; Usagi Yojimbo, b&w historical fantasy concerning a (rabbit) samurai's journey for justice and enlightenment; Abstract Studios: Strangers in Paradise, b&w narrative of three modern women tied to political spies and assassination; Hillbilly, single-issue stories about an Appalachian witch-killer (by The Goon's Eric Powell); Boom: Abbott, another hard-bitten, female reporter; Grass Kings, a family community of survivalists, who may be harboring (perhaps unknowingly) a serial killer--distinctly and beautifully rendered in watercolors; Scout Comics: Smoketown, a corrupt town where the 'good guys' face bad bad odds.
    And of course, anything from those in my signature--
    Last edited by matt levin; 02-24-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

David Boring

Hey! I read Abbott and Grass Kings as well. What do you think of Abbott? It kind of feels like Black Cloud, Evolution and Dead Inside put together.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne911 View Post
    Im looking for something unique and different with a good story.
    Well, that narrows it down (NOT!).
    Okay, how about if there's anything (style/genre) you're NOT interested in?

Would you read old Westerns? Romance comic books? Kid-stuff like Casper the Friendly Ghost? Do you want a lot of zombies or a lot of cheap sex in your comic books?

Mighty. Morphin. Freaking. Power. Rangers. One of the best comics out there. Go Go Power Rangers is a great sister title.

Astonishing Member

Let me take a moment to self-plug my own book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. Check out this extended preview of issue 1! https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-maxwells-...dar-1809618253

Saugacomics

Who the hell would read comics that don't feature cheap sex and zombies?

Quote Originally Posted by Saugacomics View Post
    Who the hell would read comics that don't feature cheap sex and zombies?
    Are zombies prone to high-class, expensive sex?