Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Calexit [Black Mask Comics]:

Finally #2 is available--lonnnng wait between issues, but they promise issue 3 next month. And why is that good for me--?

Calexit is exciting, not (just) in the usual comics’ action sense, but in its tackling political likelihoods. More and more these days, I’m finding my comic book choices are those with a sense of the political world, Lazarus, Grass Kings, Briggs’ Land, Incognegro, Days of Hate, even (or especially) Exit Stage Left (The Snagglepuss Chronicles) [all recommended, by the way!].

Calexit carries the spirit of the long-ago, still unfinished Scarlett series, that of the deeply wronged, once-reluctant resistance leader now gung-ho balls-out dead for reckoning revolutionist. Zora McNulty is not going to be a comfortable heroine to follow, zealous and inspiring, but as the little girl said to her, 'she missed.'
    Rossi is maybe the vilest villain I’ve seen in comics (and I’ve seen many in fifty years’ reading) and now they’ve shown him as a doting dad, and—regretting his actions in the street? they'll have to work hard to make me believe this…but so far, that's a possibility, with characterization strong as it is, here.
    These are revolutionary comics, and welcome. They look good, read literately, largely through dialogue rather than over-bearing narration, and come frighteningly near the present we’re living in which so clearly could lead to the future of Calexit.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

The only indie comic I'm reading currently is Titan's Robotech series.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Let me take a moment to self-plug my own book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. Check out this extended preview of issue 1! https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-maxwells-...dar-1809618253
    Consider me intrigued!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
    Consider me intrigued!
    Mission accomplished, then! Hope you'll give us a shot!

For digital:

https://www.comixology.com/Maxwells-...t%20Ltd.-10078

And it should be carried at your LCS!

BANNED

Didn't see anyone mention it yet but Mech Cadet Yu is definitely worth looking into.

Royal City, Stray Bullets, Invisible Republic, Redneck, Redlands, Autumnlands, Paper Girls, Saga, The Wicked + the Divine, Southern Bastards, Birthright, Black Hammer and related spin-offs, Descender, Gideon Falls, Angelic, Injection, No Mercy, Bankshot, Quantum & Woody, They're Not Like Us, Babyteeth, The Fix, Curse Words and Calexit.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

David Boring

Hey! I read Abbott and Grass Kings as well. What do you think of Abbott? It kind of feels like Black Cloud, Evolution and Dead Inside put together.

Saugacomics

Who the hell would read comics that don't feature cheap sex and zombies?

Quote Originally Posted by Saugacomics View Post
    Who the hell would read comics that don't feature cheap sex and zombies?
    Are zombies prone to high-class, expensive sex?

That rather depends on the zombies, I should think.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm reading Abbott and enjoying it.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are zombies prone to high-class, expensive sex?
    Who isn't?

Dragonfly by AC comics.

I'm reading Vampirella and the Plot.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

BANNED

Do you like manga ? if you like manga, i can recommend some mangas like;

Black Butler
    Slam Dunk
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Devilman
    Berserk
    Bleach
    Horimiya
    Bride's Story
    Goblin Slayer
    The Girl from the other side