Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Mindless Speculation: Who's writing Deadpool post-Duggan?

Potentially crazy theorizing here but bear with me:

We know that Gerry Duggan's Deadpool run is ending at #300 in May. Unlike other relaunches in the upcoming "fresh start" promotional push, like ASM, Iron Man, Captain America, or Hulk, there seems to be no word on who's going to take over with a new DP #1.

While we know for a fact that Dan Slott is going to be on Iron Man and have strong, no doubt true, rumors that Nick Spencer is on ASM and Coates is on Cap and can hazard some likely guesses on Hulk (Ed Brisson being my #1 pick), Deadpool is a real mystery.

Of Marvel's current stable of writers, Cullen Bunn has the most experience with DP besides Duggan but I think that actually hurts his chances as it'd be too safe of a choice.

Ed Brisson has shown a real flair for violence but does he have the knack for humor that Wade needs?

Matthew Rosenburg? Nah. Doesn't seem like it's in his wheelhouse - although I will say that Tales of Suspense has been both hilarious and violent.

Donny Cates? Maybe. But I think his dance card is full right now and they're not going to overload him. Even if he leaves Doctor Strange and Thanos, I think he's going to a different book than DP.

Kelly Thompson? Hmmm...great writer, Marvel exclusive, and funny as hell. Might be an interesting choice but I feel like her style is too gentle and quirky for Wade.

Which leaves me to my two top choices: Dan Slott and Jason Aaron.

Aaron cleared his workload of Star Wars and Doctor Strange in order to make room for Avengers. But that's two books. Maybe Avengers is so huge it takes two books worth of creative energy to do it. Or there's another book waiting in the wings and that book is DP. Aaron has certainly shown that he'd be a prime candidate for DP. His Punisher MAX run alone shows how deft he is at brutal violence and dark humor. And he's also one of Marvel's top guys. Makes sense that they'd give him the reigns on Wade.

Dan Slott, on the other hand, is a much less obvious choice but not as much as people might think. Slott has got the right touch when it comes to humor and there's a darker streak in him that has lead to arguably his greatest success. His Superior Spider-Man run showed that he more than has the chops to write the adventures of a violent, amoral anti-hero. Adding to my speculation on Slott may be going to DP is the fact that not only is Duggan leaving Deadpool with #300 but so is DP editor Jordan D White.

So I wonder - is White moving to the Spider books to edit Spencer on ASM while Lowe is switching chairs with White to edit Slott on DP? White is one of Marvel's strongest editors. I wouldn't think he'd leave DP and just leave a gap in his workload. True, he's got the Star Wars line which is a huge deal in and of themselves but he's expressed a desire to edit Spidey. Swapping out White and Lowe - especially if Lowe and Slott have a strong working relationship - might make sense.

The one thing that makes me think that Slott wouldn't take DP is knowing that he's already on Iron Man. While it's common for most writers to handle two or more books, Dan has never been quite as prolific as others. So doing both IM and DP might be too much and unlike Silver Surfer, which frequently shipped late, Marvel wouldn't want to have either IM or DP suffer those kinds of delays.

So...Aaron or Slott? Or someone else altogether - what do people think and who would you want writing Wade?
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-24-2018 at 07:09 AM.

I don't think Aaron is going to write DP. If editors are smart, they have probably given him a Conan book.

I'm gonna suggest someone else: Charles Soule. He's finished writing Astonishing X-Men and he says he's working on another big, secret project. Given the positive reception of his comedy book "Curse Words," I could see Marvel offering him DP.

Personally, I think it's a tragedy that Bendis left just when Marvel offered him DP. He killed it in Wade's appearance in Defenders.

Realistically, my favorite choice would be Peter David. His comedic chops and love for subverting tropes fits with the character.

Mighty Member

I will argue for Nick Spencer on Deadpool all day. Even if he is moving to ASM, he doesn't have a huge workload at the moment, and his superior foes of spider-man was a great resume to be writing a deadpool book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I don't think Aaron is going to write DP. If editors are smart, they have probably given him a Conan book.

I'm gonna suggest someone else: Charles Soule. He's finished writing Astonishing X-Men and he says he's working on another big, secret project. Given the positive reception of his comedy book "Curse Words," I could see Marvel offering him DP.

Personally, I think it's a tragedy that Bendis left just when Marvel offered him DP. He killed it in Wade's appearance in Defenders.

Realistically, my favorite choice would be Peter David. His comedic chops and love for subverting tropes fits with the character.
    Bendis did a nice job with Wade's guest shot in Defenders but I cringe at the idea of him on a DP solo. Maybe it would've worked but I don't know. I'm happier that we avoided that.

Soule is an interesting choice. He's done a lot of work with Marvel's mutants, obviously. My only hesitation is in whether he can write comedy. I like his work but I don't know if any of it so far has struck me as showing a gift for humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I will argue for Nick Spencer on Deadpool all day. Even if he is moving to ASM, he doesn't have a huge workload at the moment, and his superior foes of spider-man was a great resume to be writing a deadpool book.
    Wow, I was so focused on Spencer on ASM that I never thought about the possibility of him on DP as well. I agree, he'd be a brilliant choice for that. So much so that I might be disappointed now if it doesn't turn out to be him!

And as Spencer was writing multiple books previously, having both DP and ASM likely wouldn't present a problem for him.

If that happens, he should do their teamup book too!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I DON'T KNOW BUT I NEED TO KNOW!

Seriously, I want to know so bad. Brisson and Tom Taylor are my top two picks I think. I don't want someone with a comedic background. I want someone with a good comics background. I'm over the jokey joke Deadpool. And I think there's a difference between being a jokester and being a wise-ass. Give me wise-ass, badass, Deadpool. Which is why I want Brisson.

Yeah, Taylor would make sense. He's used Wade in All-New Wolverine.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Taylor would make sense. He's used Wade in All-New Wolverine.
    And he will again in the next issue. Love the Gabby/Wade relationship

After Duggan’s great run which really delved into Deadpool’s emotions/psyche with all the tragedy, I think it would be good if we can get the wise-cracking side to shine again (as long as the humor doesn’t override the story). So I would like something in tone with Fabian Nicieza’s style because he could tell a serious story and still have Deadpool wise crack along the way that didn’t feel forced. Of course, if the new writer would still like to continue the tragedy, I would still read though I think they would have to wait until a couple of arcs like Duggan & Posehn did before they cut loose with “The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly” arc.

Some of the names other people have mentioned are pretty good choices. I would agree with Tom Taylor (I like the Deadpool/Gabby friendship that he wrote), Donny Cates (His Cosmic Ghostrider tells me that he can capture Deadpool and his Thanos run so far tells me that he can tell a really good story), Charles Soule (I liked his Deapool in his run of the Thunderbolts).

I would also like to recommend Al Ewing. I like the voice that he gave Deadpool in the Guardians Team-Up and as a whole he is quite good at telling story and respecting a character’s history and yet taking them in a different direction. I like how he took Kaluu in Mighty Avengers and wrote a flash back story that bridges his 60’s villainous characterization with his more morally ambiguous 80’s characterization in the Strange Tales Vol. 2 story and then continuing that for modern times. His stories as a whole has some 80’s style vibe at times. My only question mark with him is if he can capture the wise cracking side. He will have a Deadpool mini this May so that would hopefully show if he can or can’t.

Soule is a good option also. He'd round out my top 3 choices for sure. He really did wonders on Thunderbolts after taking over from [redacted].

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Soule is a good option also. He'd round out my top 3 choices for sure. He really did wonders on Thunderbolts after taking over from [redacted].
    I'd forgotten about Soule's Thunderbolts run - that was really good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I DON'T KNOW BUT I NEED TO KNOW!

Seriously, I want to know so bad. Brisson and Tom Taylor are my top two picks I think. I don't want someone with a comedic background. I want someone with a good comics background. I'm over the jokey joke Deadpool. And I think there's a difference between being a jokester and being a wise-ass. Give me wise-ass, badass, Deadpool. Which is why I want Brisson.
    Tom Taylor's an excellent choice. He's killing it on All-New Wolverine. The Orphans of X arc was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'd forgotten about Soule's Thunderbolts run - that was really good.
    It was! I wish it could have gone longer. I thought the relationship between Flash and Wade was awesome and could have blossomed into a really awesome bromance.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Tom Taylor's an excellent choice. He's killing it on All-New Wolverine. The Orphans of X arc was brilliant.
    Yup and X-Men Red is promising as well. If ANW is ending, it opens up a possibility of writing Deadpool.

Fantastic Member

It’s going to be Brisson. He hinted that Cable will be showing up in his new book among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
    It’s going to be Brisson. He hinted that Cable will be showing up in his new book among other things.
    Some people are thinking it may be Cable & Deadpool