Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB 2018 Season

^^ The Rangers are not projected to be very good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Mariners are already losing guys to injury, to the point where they are in the process of re-signing Ichiro to start in the OF to fill in until some of their guys can get back 6-8 weeks into the season.

-M
    I just typed up a long response to you and BeastieRunner and lost it. Whoops.

The injury thing is being a little over played because of last season.

Nobody is out 6-8 weeks into the season except maybe Gamel. Maybe. It's a lat strain and those can linger, but he's the only one looking at possible missing April. Everyone else is a pretty short term injury.

Ramierez is going to start throwing this week. Might not be ready for opening day.

Healy is going to start teeing off today or yesterday. Likely to be ready for opening day.

Felix is playing catch. He'll be fine. He got hit, not a serious injury.

Haniger is already taking BP and will be in games in a few days.

Losing a starting pitcher and a 1st baseman for two weeks is not that dire. Luckily the Mariners first two weeks is pretty light so they can run a 4 man rotation if need be, and give Mike Ford a shot at 1st base.

If injuries don't decimate the pitching staff this season, I don't see any reason this lineup can't compete for a wild card.

I also like the Ichiro signing, so suck it! ;D
    Last edited by Joker; 03-07-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: injury updates

Here's the problem with lat injuries-swinging and throwing aggravate it, Gamel will not really be able to do any baseball activities until it's healed and once it is healed, he will have to go through his spring training to get up to game speed. If you rush back, you re-aggravate that kind of injury and it lingers on. He may be healed sooner, but he will need time to get up to speed to play at a major league level which means either time in extended spring training or on a minor-league rehab once the injury itself heals enough to allow him to take part in baseball activities, so it will be 3-4 weeks after the injury itself is healed before he will likely be back and ready to go at the major league level, hence the 6-8 week timeline. If he re-aggravates it during rehab or by coming back too soon (which is easy to do with lat injuries) it could be more like 2-3 months because it would hav eti fully heal and then he would have to start rehab all over again.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Yeah, I understand that. I'm just saying he's the only one sidelined from activity that long. I should have been more specific.

As long as it heals properly, and he's young, so... he's expected to miss 4-6 weeks. We'll see what happens.

I just think people are over playing the injuries. "Haniger is hurt bad." No he isn't. You know? Gamel's really the only one facing any long lasting serious injury.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Word has it Jake Arietta will sign with the Phillies, pending a physical on a three year deal, no word on money numbers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I heard that during the game today. So weird... the Phillies?! Really, Jake? Must be a big check.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I heard that during the game today. So weird... the Phillies?! Really, Jake? Must be a big check.
    Looks like 3yrs/75mil. Not bad at this stage for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    At 32, this might be his last contract. Still, I'm happy about the deal as youngster Aaron Nola no longer has to deal with the pressure of being the staff ace as Arietta will stabilize the rotation.

Did the Phillies improve a lot this off season, because they were trash last year.

It's just surprising Jake signed with them unless there's something I don't know other than the lack of interest in him this off season.

BANNED

and the Mets will probably suck

but Ill still watch them

Did the Phillies improve a lot this off season, because they were trash last year.

It's just surprising Jake signed with them unless there's something I don't know other than the lack of interest in him this off season.
    It's hard to quantify if the Phils improved or not. That won't be learned until the season gets underway. As for the Arrieta signing, perhaps it was desperation on his part since no other team was willing to give him more than three years.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Him and Boras greatly overestimated his worth this off season. Jake wanted 6-7 years and $200 mil. In the end, he would have received a better deal from the offer the Cubs gave him back in 2016 and again in 2017.

Plus, the Phillies can opt out of the contract after 2 years, so Jake might end up making only $50 mil. Guess he should have signed that extension the Cubs offered him (although as a Cubs fan, I'm glad he didn't, and I'm much happier with Yu Darvish).
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Jake pushes them into contention for a WC. They're a better team than people realize.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor