Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018 Season

Default MLB 2018 Season

Well, yesterday saw the first games of Spring Training, so I guess it's time for a thread.

Who you got? Who you excited for/bummed about?

As a huge Yankees fan, I am very excited for this year. Judge, Stanton, a very good bullpen, and enough of a farm to make a move at the deadline if all goes well.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm excited to see my Cubbies, watch Ohtani and several other rookie prospects.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    As a huge Yankees fan, I am very excited for this year. Judge, Stanton, a very good bullpen, and enough of a farm to make a move at the deadline if all goes well.
    Yankees lineup is ridiculous. I would be surprised if they didn't break the record for most runs scored in a season.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yankees lineup is ridiculous. I would be surprised if they didn't break the record for most runs scored in a season.
    I can certainly hope they will
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Rooting for the A's - as long as they stick around in Oakland.

They might have solved their bullpen issues, I sure hope so.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Go Pirates!!!

They might also break the record for most strikeouts for a season, especially if Judge has the typical sophomore slump and can't make adjustments after scouts and opposing pitchers have figured out the holes in his swing and exploit them like they did in July and August of last year. He only broke out of it in September when rosters expanded and he feasted on AAA pitches on September call ups. The Yanks should be good, but as a whole that line up strikes out way too much which kills too many rallies and can be exploited by teams with good deep pitching staffs and power pitchers, which every contender in both league has now. The AL East is a two team contest between them and the Sox, so I doubt they miss the playoffs, but it could be tough for them to make another extended run in the playoffs. It should be fun to watch though.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

And the 2001 Seattle Mariners won 116 games, but never made it to the World Series. To paraphrase a saying from golf, you hit for show and pitch for dough, and come the postseason, teams with strong pitching will shut down slugger laden teams.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Gun to my head, I'd probably say that I'm a fan of the Blue Jays, but with baseball I'm more a fan of the sport as a whole. There are a couple other teams I like to see do well like the Twins, Indians, Mets and Dodgers, but the Blue Jays are definitely the one that I follow. I'm not anticipating a great season, but I could end up surprised. I just think the rest of the AL East is way more talented, maybe not the Orioles. I think the Jays could get better in the next 2-3 years, but I think it's a tall order for this year.

Blue Jays fans are the worst. Nothing personal, you might be fine, but as a whole? The Worst.

Mariners got a decent shot at a wild card this year, if they can stay healthy. Last year had to be an anomaly, right? RIGHT?!

NL East has already been won by the Nationals, and the season hasn’t even started yet. I mean, look at the rest of the division, Atlanta, the Mets and my Phillies are all in rebuilding mode while Derek Jeter dynamited the Marlins locker room, trading everyone of consequence save for the mascot and will be damn lucky to win 60 games. If the Nats win the division by less than 15 games, I’ll be shocked.

Fantastic Member

Being a Red Sox fan I think they'll make a run at the play-offs unless Chris Sale goes down with a significant injury. Unfortunately, the Red Sox have been washing out of the first round of play-offs in the past few appearances so a play-off appearance is my 'high water mark' for them. I'm not expecting a World Series appearance for the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonmasterJim View Post
    Being a Red Sox fan I think they'll make a run at the play-offs unless Chris Sale goes down with a significant injury. Unfortunately, the Red Sox have been washing out of the first round of play-offs in the past few appearances so a play-off appearance is my 'high water mark' for them. I'm not expecting a World Series appearance for the Red Sox.
    The problem with the Red Sox is Price not living up to his contract. If he was pitching like he was before they got him, they would be the favorites to win their division.

The problem with the Red Sox is Price not living up to his contract. If he was pitching like he was before they got him, they would be the favorites to win their division.
    And having a public hissy fit with Hall of Famer turned broadcaster Dennis Ecklersley hasn’t endeared Price with the Red Sox faithful.