Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Could a Spider-Man series where he keeps the symbiote work?

If things are like they are now (there doesn’t appear to be any negative side-effects for the various Venom-varients that aren’t self or Hellmark caused), could there be an AU where Peter keeps the symbiote? I know there are What-Ifs, but considering Eddie, Flash, Cletus, Lee, and Andi all used symbiotes for extended periods of time without being aged or reduced to bones, I’m guessing those aren’t in play anymore.

I specify an AU, as it seems 616 Peter has too much of a negative attitude towards symbiotes to consider that here.

As an added question, if you did have Peter keep the symbiote, would you still have Venom? How would you include him?
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 02-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.

No, because then it doesn't really make him much different than regular Spider-Man. He will be a little bit more powerful than the regular one. That' it. Even worse, now he has a specific weakness to sonic and fire.

If he keeps the symbiote and doesn't have any negative effects of it, then what's the point? He won't have to tediously change into his costume in back alley's anymore?

As much as I like the symbiote SM look, I don't think it could work long-term.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Sure, if Eddie and Flash don't suffer any negative consequences I don't see why Peter should. Heck, at this point he should actively be trying to reclaim the symbiote, since there is a tendency for it to fall into the wrong hands. And depending on the writer, it's not uncommon for the various symbiotes to develop immunity to fire and sonic attacks. (At least, until the next writer comes on board and forgets about it.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    ...If he keeps the symbiote and doesn't have any negative effects of it, then what's the point? He won't have to tediously change into his costume in back alley's anymore?
    I think that is the problem. If it does not corrupt him other than a bit of a power boost what is the point of such an AU? How is it significantly different from 616 Spider-Man? I've seen good AU fanfics in which MJ or Felicia get the symbiote and gain spider powers as a result but that is the hook, they gain something they did not possess before.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    No, because then it doesn't really make him much different than regular Spider-Man. He will be a little bit more powerful than the regular one. That' it. Even worse, now he has a specific weakness to sonic and fire.

If he keeps the symbiote and doesn't have any negative effects of it, then what's the point? He won't have to tediously change into his costume in back alley's anymore?
    Yeah, the symbiote was originaly just another costume which is more convenient than the classic one, nothing more, nothing less, the positives and negatives of it which were added later are good, but should be done in another character, an AU with him keeping it is more fitting for a what if that is hopefuly not shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Sure, if Eddie and Flash don't suffer any negative consequences I don't see why Peter should. Heck, at this point he should actively be trying to reclaim the symbiote, since there is a tendency for it to fall into the wrong hands. And depending on the writer, it's not uncommon for the various symbiotes to develop immunity to fire and sonic attacks. (At least, until the next writer comes on board and forgets about it.)
    If Venom Inc is any hint, Spidey is back to the times where he wants to kill symbiotes, so if he tried to reclaim them, he'd be trying to kill them, which is dumb lol.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    If Venom Inc is any hint, Spidey is back to the times where he wants to kill symbiotes, so if he tried to reclaim them, he'd be trying to kill them, which is dumb lol.
    Yeah, that’s why I specified an AU, as opposed to the future of 616.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Yeah, that’s why I specified an AU, as opposed to the future of 616.
    Sure, but like I said, I feel like the symbiotes' problems and perks are more fitting for someone else, but even so, a what if about Spidey keeping the symbiote can work, after all, ideas aren't necessarily good or bad, they may just need proper execution to be interesting, hell, Family Business is a fine example of that, and that story is about a woman who may or may not be Peter's secret sister and Peter stopping Kingpin from acquiring secret nazi gold guarded by a giant robot, I can't even begin to describe how unbelievably stupid this sounds like, and it managed to be good, so a story about Spidey keeping the symbiote and its consequences? Can work just fine, just needs a proper execution.

my fave AU MJ is actually one of the dead ones. This being Hydrogirl MJ.

As for symbiote wielders... having good characters with them is fine, having versions of Spiderman is fine, but... the main Spiderman? I dunno. I could work, but I suspect it'd end up marginalized in the stories.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    my fave AU MJ is actually one of the dead ones. This being Hydrogirl MJ.

As for symbiote wielders... having good characters with them is fine, having versions of Spiderman is fine, but... the main Spiderman? I dunno. I could work, but I suspect it'd end up marginalized in the stories.
    It's a shame what happened to her. I really felt like wringing Miles Warren's neck for that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I think it would be interesting if it was like what we saw in Web of Shadows, with Spider-Man making full use of the symbiote's abilities, with stuff like blades and tendrils. I think one interesting AU would be where he kept the suit and things went well for a while. Then it gave birth to the Carnage symbiote and Carnage, not Venom, became the preeminent symbiote villain.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I think it would be interesting if it was like what we saw in Web of Shadows, with Spider-Man making full use of the symbiote's abilities, with stuff like blades and tendrils. I think one interesting AU would be where he kept the suit and things went well for a while. Then it gave birth to the Carnage symbiote and Carnage, not Venom, became the preeminent symbiote villain.
    Would be interesting if Carnage ended up not being with Kassady as well, since I think Carnage only ended up with Kassady because Eddie and Cletus shared a cell, unless some weird coincidence happened and the symbiote reproduced just as Spidey was arresting Kassady lol.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I’m not sure why he would though - the power boost is there but not too significant, and it’s leaves him open to being easily defeated by sonic and fire attacks. If he did want a power boost, there are plenty of other ways he could get one without leaving himself vulnerable. And even though the symbiote is mostly purified now, the fact is that the risk of it going crazy and trying to eat people is still nonzero, which Peter would never be okay with. (This is from an in-story perspective)

However, I’ve got say that I prefer the symbiote design over the classic suit, so in that sense I’d be all for it haha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    ...However, I’ve got say that I prefer the symbiote design over the classic suit, so in that sense I’d be all for it haha!
    Design wise it is more striking.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

at this point it's too tempting for writers to do stories where stuff goes wrong then it's up to peter to settle the score and feel super-guilty because of the power/responsibility dynamic.

I'd like to see a non-symbiote black costume again, but I doubt this will happen soon.