Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Best/Worst X-Men Retcons

After decades upon decades of stories, characters and history, the X-Men have become intertwined with retcons.

From the Original Phoenix retcon, to Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn, to the third Summers brother, I'm interested in hearing what you like and dislike with retcons in the X-universe.

In my opinion, one of the worst rectons was Nightcrawler's parentage. To me, a key part of his character was how his appearance was only skin deep, and that he truly was just a mutant. However, Azazel' s creation means that he his a half-demon and I hate that. I do have an idea on how to retcon this, but that's a story for another day...

Since I'm struggling to recall good retcons, I leave the rest to you...

EDIT: Polaris 'confirmed' being Magneto's daughter was good.
    Extra EDIT: Iceman being gay
    Last edited by WheelchairX; 02-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Fantastic Member

Good: Wanda and Pietro are Magneto's children

Bad: Wanda and Pietro are not Magneto's children

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    After decades upon decades of stories, characters and history, the X-Men have become intertwined with retcons.

From the Original Phoenix retcon, to Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn, to the third Summers brother, I'm interested in hearing what you like and dislike with retcons in the X-universe.

In my opinion, one of the worst rectons was Nightcrawler's parentage. To me, a key part of his character was how his appearance was only skin deep, and that he truly was just a mutant. However, Azazel' s creation means that he his a half-demon and I hate that. I do have an idea on how to retcon this, but that's a story for another day...

You know Azazel's not an actual demon, right? He's a mutant, like Kurt.

There was some tinkering with Bishop's story that I didn't like. I believe the whole "traitor to the X-Men" story was revealed to be a smokescreen and he had really come to the past to kill Hope.

I'm also not crazy about the reveal over in Generation X vol. 1 that there was a "real Monet". Sure, having Nicole and Claudette be M was awkward, but the reveal kind of destroyed anything they could have done with Penance.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post

EDIT: Polaris 'confirmed' being Magneto's daughter was good.
    This.

Worst is undoing Magneto as father to Wanda and Pietro (though its already been said).

Bad: Kurt’s father being Azazel
    Worse: all Phoenix force retcons. (I love the original story where the Phoenix was just Jean reaching her true potential.)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    You know Azazel's not an actual demon, right? He's a mutant, like Kurt.
    Wasn't there this explanation in Austen's run that Azazel was a member of an ancient race - the opposite of Angel, which is why his blood burns Kurt? I not really a fan Azazel anyway so...
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Extraordinary Member

Worst: Phoenix was never Jean and the real Jean was asleep in the bay the whole time.

Best: Magneto's backstory gives him some depth after being nothing but a mustache twirling villain for so long.

The Phoenix retcon makes me want to kill myself every time I remember it.

Best, Iceman's homosexuality. Magneto's children. I loved Onslaught being Xavier betraying the X-men (but it's also one of the worst because of the explanation). Tessa being one of the first X-men.
    Worst, Onslaught further explanation. Nightcrawler's heritage. Shatterstar's parentage. The Monet/Penance thing. The twins not being Magneto's. Also, "The First X-men" series as a whole.

Bad: Nightcrawler son of Azazel.

Good: The third Summers brother, Vulcan.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

best: xorneto not being magneto. polaris, wanda and pietro being magneto's kids
    bad: the constant retcons to the jean/phoenix relationship, morrison's retconing, deconstructing and destroying cyclops love for jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Worst: Phoenix was never Jean and the real Jean was asleep in the bay the whole time.

Best: Magneto's backstory gives him some depth after being nothing but a mustache twirling villain for so long.
    I see magneto holocaust past more like a backstory expansion since his past was never revealed so nothing was changed

Also bad : Maddie being a pawn in Sinister plan and a clone

BANNED

Excelent: Polaris, Wanda and Pietro are Magneto's children.

Good: Xorn is not Magneto.

Bad: Wanda and Pietro are not Magneto's children.

Worse: Doom with the power of the 'Life Force' gave power to Wanda to alter reality.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Off the top of my head for worst. Romulus & Daken

BANNED

Best: The retcon where the Phoenix Force is a seperate entity from Jean Grey (It doesn't make sense how a telekinetic/telepath would be able to eat a star. I mean, really? What does reading minds and moving objects with your mind have to do with eating a star?)

Worst: I'm thinking the worst retcon is Morrison's retelling of Emma's background during his run on New X-Men. I much rather prefer the original story as told in Generation X.