Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Good. All ideas are valuable and welcome.
    Thank you and as for Zod I don't want him to be a blunt instrument he's General Zod he should be able to fight but one of his strongest weapons is his strategic and tactical mindset so he makes sure to prepare himself for the eventual clash with Superman. And he will be the actual power behind Brainiac as like in the Man of Steel movie he and his fellow criminals will escape the Phantom but instead of aiming for directly for earth he conquers his own planet where he will establish a power base to begin conquering the universe.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    My gripe with Homecoming is that it substituted Uncle Ben with Tony Stark to fuel Peter Parker's drive it's fine to just not tell the origin just don't ruin the character's main drive. Still what you said doe shave merit and it could be done as Clark spends his last day in Smallville before leaving for Metropolis.
    While i did not mind it that much. But changing the drive like that is big. However what i did mind was the costume. He is wearing an Iron Man suit all the time.

But that's besides the point. It worked for the film as it was a success. So, i would say changes are fair game. I would like if someone mentions why they changed something which generally speaking has no precedence. While i may not like it, possibly no one. But he or she is free to do anything.

I liked how they handled the origin. They simply spoke a line or two about his dead uncle and a spider-bite. Characters like Batman, Superman, Spider-man don't really need any focus on origins in films. People know it.

Last day at Smallville is a good idea too.

But i wouldn't have that in my story. I would try to incorporate some flashbacks in my story. Scenes with his father to deepen the understanding of the character of why he is doing it. His father had a lot of influence in that story. I liked the way he left taking the photograph of his parents with him.

I always prefer the Kents alive but in this particular series of films it works better that way. Maybe bring them back by magic. That's not a wish list or goalpost. But i would mention that to the writers if it can work and suits them in the stories. But i am getting ahead of myself. My priority would be to make one film at at time. So, as of now they are both dead. And most probably staying that way.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Never mind.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

While i did not mind it that much. But changing the drive like that is big. However what i did mind was the costume. He is wearing an Iron Man suit all the time.

But that's besides the point. It worked for the film as it was a success. So, i would say changes are fair game. I would like if someone mentions why they changed something which generally speaking has no precedence. While i may not like it he or she is free to do anything.

I liked how they handled the origin. They simply spoke a line or two about his dead uncle and a spider-bite. Characters like Batman, Superman, Spider-man don't really need any focus on origins in films. People know it.

Last day at Smallville is a good idea too.

I would try to incorporate some flashbacks in my story. Scenes with his father to deepen the understanding of the character of why he is doing it. His father had a lot of influence in that story. I liked the way he left taking the photograph of his parents with him.

I always prefer the Kents alive but in this particular series of films it works better that way. Maybe bring them back by magic. That's not a wish list or goalpost. But i would mention that to the writers if it can work and suits them in the stories. But i am getting ahead of myself. My priority would be to make one film at at time. So, as of now they are both dead. And most probably staying that way.
    The new suit felt like it was trying to substitute Peter's spider sense and creativity too. But yeah being informed would have more helpful in dealing with the gripes of Homecoming especially when they changed most of Peter's supporting cast characters with characters that support Miles Morales and in some ways Peter became Miles. The reason why Aunt May was so young was because their reasoning is that if she is the sister of one of Peter's parents she should not be old. But nevertheless you can only tell the same story enough times so yeah a flashback and a talk are a good way to establish the background of well known characters like Marvel and DC's. The last day in Smallville thing should just serve as a means to lay the foundation of Superman's status quo before moving onto the story to repeat what has been done before. you can just show the Kents and how he got to Earth as well as his life on it without going into too much detail. I like the scenes with Jonathan Kent very deep sounding stuff and it shows that despite people saying Superman and Kal-el is who he is Clark Kent is his true identity as he did get all his morals from Earth not Krypton. Bringing back the Kents is going to be tricky thing to do.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

That's why i said leave it to the storytellers. The writers and directors. I would mention that to them because i think they bring something really good to Superman stories. Even when he's flying around Metropolis. I can't think of anyone who does not love Pa Kent. He's so important in making him Superman. Its just that we are divided in whether he shall stay alive or not.

As to beginning in Smallville: Its your idea, your film. While we can like or dislike other's ideas, we may even like an idea so well as to incorporate it in our ideas. But its our own film. And frankly speaking in my film, i will be fine with flashbacks to Smallville. I really like that 'Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape' in the beginning. But i am fine with changes, if it means film is better. If i am a producer i would listen to the writers. And let them choose finally. They are writers and storytellers for a reason. Film making is a collaborative process.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    First thing: NO ORIGIN STORY. No Kyrpton blowing up, no Jor El, no Kents. He's an already established hero. Second Thing: KEEP THE TRADITIONAL LOOK. No costume redesign. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel or edgelord things. If you want to make a few meta jokes about the Trunks fine. Establish that Supes already knows he looks a bit ridiculous.... and that's by design. He doesn't need to come across as formidable as Batman or the warrior vibe as Wonder Woman. The movie should be called The Adventures of Superman to make it clear we're in for a fun ride.
    I'd go with this although both of the Kents being dead would be optional for me. But it could have some pathos (wow, nobody uses that word anymore) to have him visit the Kent's grave. I might do a very quick synopsis at the beginning. Can't remember where this is from but something like: "Exploding planet... Rocket ship... Kindly foster parents... and he grows up to be Superman". The same reason they just did a quick synopsis of the origin in "The Incredible Hulk" because it had just been done five years earlier and why they skipped an origin in "Spiderman: Homecoming" because it had already been done twice in big budget movies.

I might start with his first appearance as Superman although even that rehashes the beginning of the relationship with Lois. I would also go back to the classic costume. It could be spiffed up a bit with modern materials as long as it gives the vibe of being the original costume, trunks and all.

In fact, here is my idea of a Superman movie. I'm not even arguing that this would be big and popular, just a Superman movie I would want to see.

The movie starts with a street view of Metropolis at night. Two cars careen through the streets. They look like this.

http://cartype.com/pics/9596/full/ni...ger_car_38.jpg

They are firing tommyguns at each other. A figure sees this from a rooftop and leaps. He lands at the back car and turns it over, bending metal to trap the people inside. The front car sees this blurry blue and red figure running after them and catching them. They say things like, "No. He's just a myth" and "He can't be catching us." A woman in the car says, "Yes he can and you better start believing it." He stops the car but one of the guys gets out holding the woman at gunpoint. The woman says, "Superman, thank goodness." He says, "Miss Lane, we have to stop meeting like this." The gunman says, "Stay back or I'll shoot her." Superman smiles and says, "Miss Lane, would you mind?" She stomps the guy's foot with her high heel causing the gun to move away from her head for an instant. There's a blur and Superman grabs the gun.

Yes, this is 1938 and the original Superman for the most part. We sneak in a few updates. He doesn't get put into a situation where he has to kill but we can make it clear that he would if he absolutely had to so there's no question what he would do were there no other way to save an innocent life. It's just that this movie will stay lighter than that although that doesn't mean there won't be anyone killed.

We keep it the Daily Planet and Perry White since the average movie goer would be confused by the Daily Star and George Taylor. We might even sneak Jimmy Olsen in.

Superman is going against various criminal activities. But, Clark and Lois see a connection between some of these activities. Some of these gang leaders are not smart enough or tactically sound enough and there's a coordination between these activities which eventually leads them to a true criminal mastermind named Lex Luthor or it could be the Ultra Humanite to stay true to the oldest stories and throw in a misdirect because everyone thought it would be Luthor. But I'd probably just make it Luthor as both a Moriarty level planner and a scientific and technological genius by the standards of his time. For a thrilling finale, I might even have him put on a special suit of powered armor he had for if he was ever backed into a corner and have a big final fight with Superman. Of course, the scale of this fight would be pretty small compared to a more powerful Superman but a good fight. Oh, and even on that scale, Luthor holds his own because Superman is constantly being distracted saving people and trying to lure the fight into open areas where there's nobody around.

Right at the end, I would go with what Jerry Siegel originally wanted to do at the end of Year One and have Lois deduce that Clark is Superman or he just plain tells her which is really what Siegel wanted and the movie ends with a new day in their relationship.
    Power with Girl is better.

For a young rookie Superman, I'd pull from Morrison/Pak's run on Action Comics with a tone similar to Landis's American Alien.

If you wanted to start with JL I'd adapt the animated movie Crisis on Two Earths.

If you wanted to start with an established Superman, then I'd take cues from Superman vs The Elite.

If you wanted to continue with Cavill, I thought of a movie pitch where Superman faces Silver Banshee in a tale where Superman explores the afterlife.

If you wanted something really off the cuff, I'd adapt Bruce Timm's JL Gods and Monsters.

I also have my elsewords/Multiversity pitch "what if Superman was Superman Blue/Red from the start" that I can do a six issue comic for.

If they are going to restart Superman, I would just give it to Matthew Vaughn and let him run free. Only thing I would tell him to do is a action scene as crazy and fun as the church scene from Kingsman. Maybe he could do that trilogy that Millar talked, that would tell Superman story until the sun become red and he is depowered.

One idea for a Superman movie that have been in mind for some time, is a cross between Hereafter(the Justice League cartoon episode) and John Carter.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 02-26-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Good choices. Its not possible to underestimate how women directors are being neglected. Patty Jenkins made 'Monster'. It was such an acclaimed film and won Charlize Theron an oscar. Had she been a male director she would have directed loads of films after that. But between Monster in 2003 and her next film Wonder Woman there's a gap of 14 years.

A talented director is always a good choice.

To be honest i wanted to see it in terms of story ideas and so on from fans. (If anyone wishes to write a screenplay. The thread exists. lol ). But your answer is crispy and is actually the way to do it. Just give it in the hands of a good storyteller, in this case the director.
    Patty Jenkins YES - I had said that earlier in another thread...I'd certainly like to see her take on Superman as she has done a marvelous job on Wonder Woman as that movie just fell into place very nicely!

I feel that Superman does not need an origin in detail. People know it. Planet blew up. Adopted by farmers. Superman. Just put in scenes at the starting credits and/or mention the background by dialogue as Spider-man: Homecoming did.
    Spend 15 minutes dealing with Krypton being doomed and Jor-El sending Kal-El to Earth. Spend 15 minutes with Clark growing up. Then the rest of the two hours is the Adventures of Superman.
    Have a new villain. Lex could be in it, but the focus wouldn't be on Lex. Perhaps Brainiac also survives Krypton and is the main threat. Or Lex creates Metallo but it's mostly about Metallo.
    Nothing else cosmic like Zod or Darkseid in the first movie. Save them for the sequels.

For the first film i will keep it based on the first six issues of Grant Morrison's Action Comics New 52 run.

[...]Fighting for the oppressed and the poor. I think it works really well as a power fantasy. Who does not want to beat up bad guys and use powers for other's good once in a while?

[...]It can have different layers too. Like paranoia. Or machines making people irrelevant.

[...]I wish to start the film with this segment as James Bond films start with an unrelated action sequence. If its possible.
    ^ This.

If not, start off with Superman in the New52 Kryptonian body armor and high collar (No trunks), but with the John L. Williams theme blaring constantly, and have him beat up people. He hangs out as a regular guy with Jim Olson and Bruce Wayne and drinks beer (Albeit in the semi-geeky Clark Kent persona, but that whole thing would be played more as "average guy" and less as "super-geek", and he'd be doing it with a wink and a nod. Bruce or Jim would complain about how he always outdrinks them but never seems to get drunk or lose his coordination, and then he'd intentionally face-splat onto the sidewalk and be picked up by one of his pals who'd say "Whoa buddy, I guess I spoke too soon" as a laugh-line for the audience. ). A lot more intimidating than usual in costume, eyes grow a lot. Makes the occasional badass remark and even jokes in a grim way, but at the same time there is that Superman optimism and smile and fight for a better tomorrow, and a faith in the overall goodness of humankind. He's pro-social justice in a generic sense of sticking up for the poor, minorities, and the oppressed. Though he loves America, he questions blind patriotism and nationalism and believes true American ideals are in opposition to those notions he questions.

Actually, some derivative of the chase scene with Superman and Batman from the New52 Justice League's first issue (I think it was the first issue anyway), where the government is chasing Superman and Batman is trying to figure out who he is might work as an opening.

Superman would be muscular but still somewhat skinny. More James Bond than Hulk Hogan. More muscle than Christopher Reeve, but not the hulking Superman sometimes portrayed in the comics. Just look at the New52 Superman as a reference and cast someone who looks like that.

One thing I would *not* *under any circumstances* do is go back to the origin story where Kal is a baby on Krypton and found in the midwest and grows up in Smallville and raised by Jonathan and Martha, etc.. Those would be an implicit part of the character's background, but I wouldn't show any of it on-screen- we've seen it too many times, it's like how the Batman movies show Bruce's parents getting shot in every single freaking movie. Enough. Everyone knows how Superman reached planet earth and grew up on a farm. Move on. I also wouldn't likely include Clark's parents or Smallville in the movie itself. Maybe he'd mention them each once to sort of do a hat tip, but the overall tone of the movie I'd write wouldn't fit with dwelling on them.

Superman would be 25-32 (apparent age). Single. No children. We'd see Perry White (Who would smoke a cigar), Lois Lane (Who Clark would remark is hot or have a crush on, but would not be dating and who would not know his secret identity- in fact, I'd have him kiss a few pretty girls and rescue a few women who swoon over him over the course of the movie. It'd be one of those deals where you could tell he really liked Lois, but wasn't putting him life on hold for her and was somewhat happily playing the field while he waited until the time was right where he thought he could have a relationship with her.), and the Daily Planet, but Jim Olson, who would be Superman's age and his good hard-partying regular guy friend would be the most seen Daily Planet character.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-26-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Oh, and there would be a seen where Perry or someone dumps a large stack of papers or something on Clark's desk, and then Clark mutters "I wish he wouldn't assign me so much work. I'm not Superman, you know.". Then he pulls up off his glasses, looks straight at the camera, smiles and winks at the audience. Literally.

Another scene would feature best buddies Clark, Jim, and Bruce encountering a phone book. Clark is clearly fascinated and has this wide eyed stare and look of awe and slowly starts to circle and caress it.

Jim: Wow, a phone booth. Never seen one of these before. I think my grandfather used to talk about them.
    Bruce: Yeah, they became obselete when Waynetech invented the Waynephone 20 years ago, just a couple years after you were born.
    Clark (Still caressing the booth): I've never seen something so beautiful in my life.
    Jim: What?!?!
    Bruce: Yeah, this is weird, Clark.
    Clark: I don't know guys, there's just something about this. You can make calls-
    Jim: Or just use your cell phone...
    Clark: But this is iconic. It's a piece of Americana. You can't just replace it with a "better" technology and claim-
    Bruce: I did. I do. Society has moved on.
    Clark (Sadly): People just don't understand...
    Jim: I heard they are re-purposing some of these things as public wifi hotspots
    Bruce: Yeah, I put a little bit of money into that. It wasn't my best investment, but-
    Clark (Perking up): Yeah! There are lots of other things you can do in phone booths besides just make calls! Like, if you had to change clothes and didn't want the public to see-
    Jim: Phone booths are transparent, you know. They really aren't any more private than changing on the street-
    Clark (Glaring, briefiest red eye flare): Phone booths are awesome.
    Jim (Backs up and looks scared, raises hands): Okay, okay, phone booths are awesome. Got it.

Lois: How many "t"s in bloodletting?
    Steve L: What? You computer didn't come with spell check?
    Lois: Hashtag, Time's Up, Steve

Okay let me try. I can't write a script or direct a movie. My role is that of a producer. Story idea and direction of the story by setting goalposts to achieve in a film. Getting a good director and writer would be fine. Good if there's a collaboration. One from films and one from comics.

For the first film i will keep it based on the first six issues of Grant Morrison's Action Comics New 52 run. That's the general idea of the story. Adapt that into a workable film. It helps to differentiate it from earlier films.

The film ends with him getting the costume. But not the ability to fly. Let's make it like the Fleischer shorts or Golden Age. I thought it was bad idea for Superman to not to fly. But then flying is no more a wonder as it once was. And by putting in restrictions in place one can become inventive in crafting unique action sequences.

I would hint that he can possibly fly. But that's for the sequels if i choose to explore. If its a huge success i may simply carry on with the golden age style. Otherwise, i plan to develop him over time. Both in terms of powers and character.

I would put in Easter eggs for a wider world. But that's where it ends for possible future films. Just make one good movie at a time. First one doesn't even have him in Superman costume till the end. Fighting for the oppressed and the poor. I think it works really well as a power fantasy. Who does not want to beat up bad guys and use powers for other's good once in a while?

It can have different layers too. Like paranoia. Or machines making people irrelevant.

I will ask them to try to put in Action Comics #0. 'The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape'. I wish to start the film with this segment as James Bond films start with an unrelated action sequence. If its possible.

What makes it most delicious is writers can develop him as a character over a possible Superman trilogy. From a 'hothead' to the Superman i love.

Love ya supes but don't touch my radio. Wow I'd forgotten what a presumptuous dick he could be back in the day. Sure thing gramps ya want me to get off your lawn too? This is what people want? Now this is a Superman I'd be terrified of.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 02-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Love ya supes but don't touch my radio. Wow I'd forgotten what a presumptuous dick he could be back in the day. Sure thing gramps ya want me to get off your lawn too? This is what people want? Now this is a Superman I'd be terrified of.
    You can make your point without ageism pal.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-26-2018 at 02:54 PM.