Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default To my DC Friends - Why the Hate of the MAN OF STEEL Film?

Follow internet dwelling comic geeks,

I consider myself more of a Marvel fan, digging their comics over DC. That said - I've dug Nolan's Dark Knight series, thought Green Lantern was lackluster but not horrible (on par with Thor or the Ed Norton Hulk) and dug Man of Steel.

Now this Marvel loving outsider is asking, non-ironically, without mean spirits, etc., why the hate of this film?

Personally I thought if WB were going to adapt Superman for the big screen they were going to use BIRTHRIGHT as its template. The story is out of the park, but the only critique is - he didn't hit much (from memory - I own the trade but havent reread before post) and "he didn't hit much" seemed to be the uber critique of Superman Returns (I thought it was character driven but boring and hate the over use of Lex).

Surfing the net - I found this article providing some answers http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-s...erman-ever.php

But I leave the question, in earnest, open.

I believe there has never been a good Spider-Man movie, albeit Spider-Man 2 came close to "getting it right"

Been reading your thoughts on attempting Superman and would dig it be localized to MOS.

For the record, I loved Man of Steel.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Me too!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It was thoroughly enjoyable. Just flawed.

But in the spirit of positivity, this is what it did right.

I loved the warriorization of Jor El. The fight scenes in Krypton were fantastic.
    The look of Zod and the villains.
    Henry C as Superman.
    Supermans Costume.
    The design of the kryptonian ships.
    The casting of most supporting parts.
    The immediate introduction of villains with incredible power levels.
    The action at the end looked great and was well done even if it failed me from a plot point.
    The cinematography and editing.

Lots to love. Just some glaring plot and character failures. Still one of the better Superhero flicks of the post X-Men 1 renaissance.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Me too!
    let me in on that. it wasn't a perfect movie but it was certainly better than returns.

Too much bleak, too much cynicism.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    let me in on that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    I'ma go with this as well.

I got what they were trying to do and there were lots of parts that I enjoyed.

The main problem, if you ask me, was in the presentation.

- You want an epic battle with lots of stuff being destroyed as Superman and his evenly matched foe duke it out? Go for it, but maybe you should have it seem like Superman is trying to move the fight out of the city at least.
    - You want pa Kent to be conflicted with how Clark should deal with his powers. Great idea, just pick a line that doesn't make it sound like he suggests Clark should let people die.
    - You want Superman to kill the big bad in the end of an epic struggle. An interesting and bold take that's sure to raise a lot of debate. You probably want to put a lot of effort into that scene so that it is clear that Superman is really pushed to the brink and resorts to killing only as a last solution to an impossible situation and not make it seem like he could solve it by covering the bad guy's eyes with his hand.

There's more but you get the idea. And like I said, I generally enjoy it. There's good (Faora is fucking awesome, the action is generally epic, I enjoyed the performances, the scene were Superman flies for the first time is damn near perfect) and bad in it which caused a lot of rifts between the fans.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 07-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Me too!
    Unrelated, sorry, but am I correct in saying that's from the Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, where Spider-Man and Wolverine fight Sabretooth?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    let me in on that. it wasn't a perfect movie but it was certainly better than returns.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

I liked it quite a bit. I was willing to go along with an alternate vision of a Superman movie.

But I understand people wanted a lighter (in tone, content, as well as cinematography) movie like the previous Superman films and some other comic book movies... this was Superman copied and pasted into a Christopher Nolan Batman template.
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 07-17-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

But in the spirit of positivity, this is what it did right.

I loved the warriorization of Jor El. The fight scenes in Krypton were fantastic.
    The look of Zod and the villains.
    Henry C as Superman.
    Supermans Costume.
    The design of the kryptonian ships.
    The casting of most supporting parts.
    The immediate introduction of villains with incredible power levels.
    The action at the end looked great and was well done even if it failed me from a plot point.
    The cinematography and editing.

Lots to love. Just some glaring plot and character failures. Still one of the better Superhero flicks of the post X-Men 1 renaissance.
    Flawed?... That's putting it mildly.. it's got Holes wider them the moon has craters.. My biggest pev with the movie was him killing zod?. I grew up on Superman.. and he would never do that.. But hey that is just my OP.

It had its moments but overall was poorly written. All the special effects in the world can't save a movie with a bad script.

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    All the special effects in the world can't save a movie with a bad script.
    Yet I wonder how and why Iron Man 3 has myriad supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The main problem, if you ask me, was in the presentation.

- You want an epic battle with lots of stuff being destroyed as Superman and his evenly matched foe duke it out? Go for it, but maybe you should have it seem like Superman is trying to move the fight out of the city at least. . . .
    (Emphasis mine.)

That’s it right there. Over thirty years ago Christopher Reeve summed up Superman with one line: “THE PEOPLE!” All you have to do is read that line and you know the scene. This Superman doesn’t even seem to realize there were people in this city.

Welcome to the Avengers Effect. Because of the epic battle that ended one of the most successful films of all time, producers immediately conclude that superhero films must have mass carnage. Hence the endings to Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel.

Otherwise the film accomplished much. The entire Jor-El sequence hooks you into the film. Clark’s reclusive travels ring true. And, at long last, they got Lois Lane right. The sloppiness of the conclusion could have been forgiven if only someone had had the sense to correct the point Dark Soul raises above.