Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

People are calling out Bruce as a hypocrite because he doesn't enforce his no kill rule. But I wonder what those same people would say if he did? If Batman took down everyone of the bat family who has killed "and we know he easily could" what would fans of those characters be saying then. They would be condemning Bruce, calling him a bully and tyrant. So I find it funny that people call Batman a hypocrite when they would be mad if he did what they call him out for not doing. The guy can't win, damned if he does dammed if he doesn't.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So I find it funny that people call Batman a hypocrite when they would be mad if he did what they call him out for not doing.
    Yea, it never sat well with me that'd Batman didn't go all out to, for example, arrest killer Jason and etc. I've kinda had to make my own head canon on stuff like that.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

People are calling out Bruce as a hypocrite because he doesn't enforce his no kill rule. But I wonder what those same people would say if he did? If Batman took down everyone of the bat family who has killed "and we know he easily could" what would fans of those characters be saying then. They would be condemning Bruce, calling him a bully and tyrant. So I find it funny that people call Batman a hypocrite when they would be mad if he did what they call him out for not doing. The guy can't win, damned if he does dammed if he doesn't.
    Maybe the writers shouldn't have family members kill. Maybe Batman shouldn't cuddle up to criminals but he's been doing that for a while now.
    Blame the writers who make him into a hypocrite don't blame fans who call out the massive problems with the character.

this story was written by a writer who knows about Jason about Damian and about Batman's one rule. But he chose to make Bruce a hypocrite. Fans are right to call it out.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 02-27-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Maybe the writers shouldn't have family members kill.
    I definitely blame DC editorial and the writers first and foremost.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Maybe the writers shouldn't have family members kill. Maybe Batman shouldn't cuddle up to criminals but he's been doing that for a while now.
    Blame the writers who make him into a hypocrite don't blame fans who call out the massive problems with the character.

this story was written by a writer who knows about Jason about Damian and about Batman's one rule. But he chose to make Bruce a hypocrite. Fans are right to call it out.
    I think it's pretty premature to say that Tynion is making Bruce a hypocrite after only reading a couple of pages of a longer than normal issue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

But would Red Hood fans be pleased if he remained an enemy of Batman? He was full brutal when he was a villain, even killing some hospital guards once
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, it never sat well with me that'd Batman didn't go all out to, for example, arrest killer Jason and etc. I've kinda had to make my own head canon on stuff like that.
    He eventually does but the fact he had issues is what makes the story humane and well done. A Batman going "all out" as if this antagonist is not such a personal matter to him is the sort of things that contribute to the Batgod myth.

Batman is not a robot.

BANNED

He`s enforcing the rule in this story.

This isn`t new territory. The things that supposely makes it work is how you approach Clayface as opposed to Kate or Bruce. We will know how it goes in the end.

"We know he easily could", well, no. We don`t, but that`s another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    He eventually does but the fact he had issues is what makes the story humane and well done. A Batman going "all out" as if this antagonist is not such a personal matter to him is the sort of things that contribute to the Batgod myth.

Batman is not a robot.
    I wasn't implying that a writer couldn't do the personal aspect or that Batman is a robot. But of course, many readers might have a hard time with Batman delaying too much while a killer walks free on the streets out there. Personal matter or not, Batman proceeds on things.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-27-2018 at 12:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Hmm. That's not how I read it, but I wasn't necessarily reading super closely. Did Bruce actually say "you can kill if necessary"? And also importantly, has Jason actually killed anyone since the start of Rebirth (or the n52)?
    Bruce vouches Jason because of who he is and what he has gone throught, whose experiences are sort of unique among the cast. Basicallly, he`s a wild-card. Bruce trusts Jason to not go all Darth Sith because he`s proven he manages to keep it in check and his goal isn`t twisted or evil. On the other hand, he also knows that in certain situations, he will do what is necessary if nothing else works.

The key string in the relationship is that whereas Bruce will always have an eye on him Jason has proven the ability and desire to overcome his past - with or without Batman.

He`s killed a group of cybernetic mercenaries known as the Iron Rule when they went awol in the streets. That`s the action that propels him to cut ties with Roy so he wouldn`t get tainted by what he did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I wasn't implying that a writer couldn't do the personal aspect or that Batman is a robot. But of course, many readers might have a hard time with Batman delaying too much while a killer walks free on the streets out there. Personal matter or not, Batman proceeds on things.
    I don`t think he even delayed it much. A good section of the story is him trying to assert the legitimity of Jason actually having returned from the dead, so of course, past that point, we either see him either being played around the city in a cat and mouse game by Jason and trying to get his emotions in check regarding someone, whom for all his qualities and faults, is one of his sons. Likely a filler issue or two in between but nothing drastic or uncharacteristic.

It`s very much a Batman with a Bronze Age quality. He`s got his resolve and won`t betray his code but his family aren`t merely numbers.

chilling, indeed.

Last year I read the first TPB of "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Witch" and the art and the vibe of this *so* remind me of that...

I live for that kind of stuff, I'll have you know. The secrets, the past, back-story, etc.

Tell it, Caivu!

The flashback scene builds on Elegy and other previous sources that show how driven of a character Kate can and would be. WE all change, grow, learn, adapt - - EVOLVE.

While this scene showed that Kate had the capacity to be very revengeful, I have no problem balancing it against the Kate she became.