View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what does that matter? Jean and Storm were still main characters. They werent like random cameos like Jubilee and Siryn. Unless one was asleep while watching those films, they are known to those who saw them
    I wish they were. The only movie where I can say Jean was main character was Apocalypse, and it's still debatable. Storm has never been a main character in movies. Period.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

what does that matter? Jean and Storm were still main characters. They werent like random cameos like Jubilee and Siryn. Unless one was asleep while watching those films, they are known to those who saw them
    They trolling they know mystique is not more well known than Jean and Storm and that definitely will change after the merger if anyone actually believes that.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Jean yes, Storm no. And they've barely been in the new ones, compared to Mystique who has been in all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    They trolling they know mystique is not more well known than Jean and Storm and that definitely will change after the merger if anyone actually believes that.
    You're living in a TAS bubble if you think that Mystique has an iconic look and actress. Mystique is the most iconic X-woman to the public

Storm is recognizable but not on the same level amongst millennials hell even some GenXers. And Jean is just a random red head. Mary Jane being the most iconic red head in the MU and maybe Scarlett Johanson now.

Mystique has gained a lot and not just because of J-law.

I was also surprised by the fact that Mystique made these gains even before first class and two factors play into that she's naked and she's blue and now she's J-law

Also Jean has nothing on Storm in the public eye despite having a central role in the movies and even as a "love interest" to Wolverine still didn't give her that boost. So even to equate those two is laughable. And I attribute that to Jeans look being forgettable

Jeans not iconic to the public. Her death however is iconic to the comic book industry and that's just because of how DPS is regarded as a comic book milestone. So Cyclops man pain is actually the main character in that arc

Anyway the irony of it all is they have started turning this new Jean into an Emma-lite with her ties to Namor, Cassandra Nova (who was mostly an Emma antagonist) and her being a "politician"
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 03-03-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    You're living in a TAS bubble if you think that Mystique has an iconic look and actress. Mystique is the most iconic X-woman to the public

Storm is recognizable but not on the same level amongst millennials hell even some GenXers. And Jean is just a random red head. Mary Jane being the most iconic red head in the MU and maybe Scarlett Johanson now.

I was also surprised by the fact that Mystique made these gains even before first class and two factors play into that she's naked and she's blue and now she's J-law

Also Jean has nothing on Storm in the public eye despite having a central role in the movies and even as a "love interest" to Wolverine still didn't give her that boost. So even to equate those two is laughable. And I attribute that to Jeans look being forgettable

Jeans not iconic to the public. Her death however is iconic to the comic book industry and that's just because of how DPS is regarded as a comic book milestone. So Cyclops man pain is actually the main character in that arc

Anyway the irony of it all is they have started turning this new Jean into an Emma-lite with her ties to Namor, Cassandra Nova (who was mostly an Emma antagonist) and her being a "politician"
    When you have one the most influential woman in showbiz dressing up as mystique or Emma you got back to me:

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    When you have one the most influential woman in showbiz dressing up as mystique or Emma you got back to me:

How many people actually understand what Beyonve was doing there or even knew what was that supposed to represent come back to me.

The X-Men have suffered greatly. TAS's effect ended ages ago. The rise of the X-woman amongst the public ended ages ago. Why do you think Storm can't keep an ongoing if such a recognizable figure dressed up as her.

I actually dub this type of selective delusion the TAS effect. The world has moved past the X-Men unless your name is Wolverine or Deadpool.

I'm not making the argument for Emma just pointing out that if you are purely using public awareness to gauge being an iconic X-Men then most of the X-Men won't make the list.

However if you want to gauge recognizability then it's Mystique even if they know nothing about her they know who she is

BANNED

How many people actually understand what Beyonve was doing there or even knew what was that supposed to represent come back to me.

The X-Men have suffered greatly. TAS's effect ended ages ago. The rise of the X-woman amongst the public ended ages ago. Why do you think Storm can't keep an ongoing if such a recognizable figure dressed up as her.

I actually dub this type of selective delusion the TAS effect. The world has moved past the X-Men unless your name is Wolverine or Deadpool.

I'm not making the argument for Emma just pointing out that if you are purely using public awareness to gauge being an iconic X-Men then most of the X-Men won't make the list.

However if you want to gauge recognizability then it's Mystique even if they know nothing about her they know who she is
    There's a nostalgia cycle at work though, because for a while there the TAS was considered this corny, kitschy garbage that the franchise wanted to distance itself from, but now that all of the kids who grew up watching it are of prime spending age, it's suddenly coming back into prominence. Meanwhile, that edgy new direction that the X-Men adopted in the early 2000s now seems dated and cringey, and as Emma was the big breakout star of that era, sidelining her and pushing the 90s heroines back into prominence is Marvel's way of embracing that retro wave. Of course, that trend will eventually reverse itself but who knows how many comic book readers will still be around by that point.

BANNED

Lol and people think Storm/Jean fans are delusional.

It's ok. Cyke is pretty iconic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Lol and people think Storm/Jean fans are delusional.

It's ok. Cyke is pretty iconic too.
    I mean, I don't like it either but his statements hold true. For most of us comic fans is super hard to believe that Mystique of all people would get such a prominent role, and be made up into an "iconic" Heroine among the X-Ranks, but that's how it has been...

When I ask some of my friends who are not into comics, the female characters they remind the most are the likes of Black Widow, Gamora and Mystique. Even Gwen Stacy got a boost because of the two movies and by being played by Emma Stone.

Like, lets be real, in the male department Cyke suffers from the same fate as characters like Storm and Jean, if you ask regular people they will remember Prof. X, Magneto, Deadpool and specially Logan.

Absolutely.

She is been the leading X Woman for more than 10 years and even now was the only mutant besides Beast, having a very important role as leader of mutantkind and the rebellion on Secret Empire.

She played politics like a boss and truthfully, political Emma is where she is at her best. Plus all those years as leader and cofounder of Gen.X.

Emma Frost is very VERY important to the X-Men and mutantkind as a whole.

BANNED

Wait, why am I countering people saying Mystique is the most well-known Woman?

I may as well try to make the case that milk is white.

Lol carry on.

It was all over social media she went as storm for Halloween.

And the TAS affect still impacts pop culture to its day. A lot of why many still Shipp for the xmen is because of TAS. Certainly it isn't the movies which have done more damage to the franchise than anything.

http://www.etonline.com/news/174698_...birthday_party
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-03-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't say Jean is a random red head. Counting starring roles and cameos she is one of the most fetaured characters in movies and has appeared in most X-Men media. I don't know where this Mary Jane comparison comes from, there can be more than one well known red head in the MU. It's not fair either since MJ is the leading lady of the Spiderman franchise, she is his Lois Lane. X-men is an ensemble.
    Also her death is iconic because she was Jean Grey, nobody made such a fuss about Thunderbird dying. And DPS is not about Cyclops' suffering wtf.

I'm not seeing it. Jean was a spokesperson for mutant rights in the past before Emma, she just took it to a new level now. Cassandra Nova is not an Emma antagonist either, she is Xavier's evil counterpart. If anything Emma became Jean-lite after joining the X-Men and hooking up with Scott.

BANNED

The better thread would have been:

"Who is the Truer and More Believable British Femme Fatale/Feminist Badass Who Uses Sex Appeal to Her Advantage?"

with choices of Betsy and Emma. lmao

I've thought for years that Betsy is who Emma wishes she could be and Betsy is everything people claim they like Emma for, minus the corny sniping at any other female in the room, and she never gets credit for it. On here, anyway.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 03-03-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

Betsy has been an Asian ninja for decades, and Hellfire Club-Hellions Emma predates Betsy an an X-Man. I don't really think they were similar in the 80s.