View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    The better thread would have been:

"Who is the Truer and More Believable British Femme Fatale/Feminist Badass Who Uses Sex Appeal to Her Advantage?"

with choices of Betsy and Emma. lmao

I thought for years that Betsy is who Emma wishes she could be and Betsy is everything people claim they like Emma for, minus the corn sniping at any other female in the room, and she never gets credit for it. On here, anyway.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

"Who is the Truer and More Believable British Femme Fatale/Feminist Badass Who Uses Sex Appeal to Her Advantage?"

I've thought for years that Betsy is who Emma wishes she could be and Betsy is everything people claim they like Emma for, minus the corny sniping at any other female in the room, and she never gets credit for it. On here, anyway.
    The whole point of Emma's character though is that she's actually a very insecure person who just adopts this persona to mask her own inferiority complex, but that pretty much everyone else can see right through this facade right away which is why she gets so little respect from her teammates. This is actually an interesting angle to take and is certainly relevant to the modern world what with all of these social media personalities who are legends in their own minds and have no clue what they look like to the rest of the world, but it seems like the comics would rather downplay that side and just present her White Queen image as her genuine personality, which isn't very interesting.

Anyone that thinks the X-men's mark on pop culture hasn't taken a big hit in the last decade is kidding themselves honestly. Like I said earlier, people would know Wolverine, Prof. X, Jean, Storm, Cyclops and Magneto. I doubt anyone else would make that cut.

BANNED

I've thought for years that Betsy is who Emma wishes she could be and Betsy is everything people claim they like Emma for, minus the corny sniping at any other female in the room, and she never gets credit for it. On here, anyway.
    Disciple of Redd, I'm over here crying. Do you hear me?
    Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    Malachi, my soul is weak!!! Lmfao
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The whole point of Emma's character though is that she's actually a very insecure person who just adopts this persona to mask her own inferiority complex, but that pretty much everyone else can see right through this facade right away which is why she gets so little respect from her teammates. This is actually an interesting angle to take and is certainly relevant to the modern world what with all of these social media personalities who are legends in their own minds and have no clue what they look like to the rest of the world, but it seems like the comics would rather downplay that side and just present her White Queen image as her genuine personality, which isn't very interesting.
    I would very much like to see more of this Emma.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Anyone that thinks the X-men's mark on pop culture hasn't taken a big hit in the last decade is kidding themselves honestly. Like I said earlier, people would know Wolverine, Prof. X, Jean, Storm, Cyclops and Magneto. I doubt anyone else would make that cut.
    Exactly. I know no one is seriously trying to base their claims on the fact that Emma got an onscreen debut. That's fine and all, but if that's the logic we're to use, Pixie is just as iconic. Emma has definitely made name for herself. But to say she really stands shoulder to shoulder with the X-men that made the franchise what it is? Some people need to be honest with themselves. Emma's most prominent time amongst the X-men came by way of being arm candy and the sheath to Cyclops' sword. Yes, she had some great story beats, better even than Colossus, but even she knows she isn't capable of touching his iconic status. Her fans have a hard time accepting the truth. Excuse me while I make way...

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Exactly. I know no one is seriously trying to base their claims on the fact that Emma got an onscreen debut. That's fine and all, but if that's the logic we're to use, Pixie is just as iconic. Emma has definitely made name for herself. But to say she really stands shoulder to shoulder with the X-men that made the franchise what it is? Some people need to be honest with themselves. Emma's most prominent time amongst the X-men came by way of being arm candy and the sheath to Cyclops' sword. Yes, she had some great story beats, better even than Colossus, but even she knows she isn't capable of touching his iconic status. Her fans have a hard time accepting the truth. Excuse me while I make way...
    Er... I think you misunderstood what I was saying, but to be honest I didn't do a good job of illustrating my point. I'm of the opinion that Emma IS iconic, if iconic includes characters such as Beast, Iceman, Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Angel etc. Because if we go by the comics, Emma is definitely an iconic part of the franchise. However, if we're defining iconic as "recognizable to the casual masses", then most of these characters would not qualify, as X-men is not as influential in pop culture as it used to be. The effects of TAS are gone by now, IMO. There are those who watched TAS when they were younger but don't read comics; this subset of people would know about Rogue or Gambit. But then there are people younger than these who watched Wolverine and the X-men in their youth, and these people definitely know Emma. But neither of these sets of people are the majority, the majority are those that have only ever seen the movies. And based off the movies, only Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto, Storm, Cyclops, and Jean would be considered "iconic". And probably Mystique, lol.

BANNED

In hindsight, the death blow to the X-Men's pop cultural relevance came when Fox decided that they needed to update the franchise for the movies and drop everything that was recognizable from the comic book in favor of a more modernized look. And sure, the movies did look modern for the time, but man did that whole visual style become dated quickly. Meanwhile, the MCU has achieved great success with the bright and colorful style that the X-Men films shunned, and the Avengers have largely displaced the X-Men in the eyes of the general public.

BANNED

Er... I think you misunderstood what I was saying, but to be honest I didn't do a good job of illustrating my point. I'm of the opinion that Emma IS iconic, if iconic includes characters such as Beast, Iceman, Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Angel etc. Because if we go by the comics, Emma is definitely an iconic part of the franchise. However, if we're defining iconic as "recognizable to the casual masses", then most of these characters would not qualify, as X-men is not as influential in pop culture as it used to be. The effects of TAS are gone by now, IMO. There are those who watched TAS when they were younger but don't read comics; this subset of people would know about Rogue or Gambit. But then there are people younger than these who watched Wolverine and the X-men in their youth, and these people definitely know Emma. But neither of these sets of people are the majority, the majority are those that have only ever seen the movies. And based off the movies, only Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto, Storm, Cyclops, and Jean would be considered "iconic". And probably Mystique, lol.
    No, we're on the same page. Like I said, Emma has made a name for herself, but she's not at the level of THE iconic X-Men. Emma Frost has gained a great deal of recognition over the last decade or so. But as you and I both pointed out, she can't sit with the ones that really matter. That doesn't take away from her greatness tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    In hindsight, the death blow to the X-Men's pop cultural relevance came when Fox decided that they needed to update the franchise for the movies and drop everything that was recognizable from the comic book in favor of a more modernized look. And sure, the movies did look modern for the time, but man did that whole visual style become dated quickly. Meanwhile, the MCU has achieved great success with the bright and colorful style that the X-Men films shunned, and the Avengers have largely displaced the X-Men in the eyes of the general public.
    Exactly this. The X-Men have fallen far from grace. Despite some scathingly offensive character assassination over the years leading to their downfall, the X-Men that were on top during their heyday are still the iconic ones. There have been no new additions to THAT team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Exactly this. The X-Men have fallen far from grace. Despite some scathingly offensive character assassination over the years leading to their downfall, the X-Men that were on top during their heyday are still the iconic ones. There have been no new additions to THAT team.
    And just to expound on this some more, I'm not trying to say that the X-Men should have just stuck with the 90s aesthetic forever, obviously the look and feel has to change with the times. However, you have to retain some recognizable core elements that carry forward, and you can't have creators that are embarrassed with the source material and want to make it into something completely different. I feel like the film series was just trying really hard to copy the Matrix, and the comics took their cue from that and followed suit. And yeah while the Matrix was a pretty big deal at the time and had a groundbreaking look and feel to it, good luck finding anyone who will admit to being into that kind of stuff now. The way Emma was used in the comics sort of ties into this as well. Marvel obviously felt like they needed someone to boost the book's sex appeal, but Emma was a very odd choice for this because, even though she kind of dresses like a stripper, her character was much more of a Cruella de Vil type than some kind of edgy wank fodder.

Emma is like the "strong female" character of 90s, that men swear to God they are doing well to women haha She even hate other women so much that she decides to swap bodies and seduce their husbands. Men claiming to write good female character are dangerous

I like Betsy a lot more than Emma

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

Emma is like the "strong female" character of 90s, that men swear to God they are doing well to women haha She even hate other women so much that she decides to swap bodies and seduce their husbands. Men claiming to write good female character are dangerous

I like Betsy a lot more than Emma
    Because Psylocke never swapped bodies with anyone and never tried to seduce Scott? lol

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Because Psylocke never swapped bodies with anyone and never tried to seduce Scott? lol
    Haha!!! I was thinking the same thing...Psylocke did all of that first, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    the seduce cyclops thing was a mind control thing?

just another evidence Emma really copied Psylocke

At least psylocke minded her own bussiness and lived her own life

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    She was the brightest hope of the Morrison Era and then often the only bright spot in the dark years that followed thereafter.
    I agree with you there.
    She was the only thing that kept me liking the XMen for years with no Illyana, Elizabeth or Rachel around.

Okay if Emma isn't iconic, i shouldn't see Gambit being called iconic either
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Incredible Member

Uhhh...Emma didn't just dress like a stripper. She was a stripper. The hating on other women of the X-Men was tired and I knew once Cyclops was out, she'd be gone to. Hence why she isn't an X-man to me. So it was of no surprise that Cyclops died and Emma will....continue to lead the X-Men and teach new students to kill off? LOL...She was established as needing Cyclops to even be relevant and that is some sad shyt. So if she is to be an iconic villain again, that can kick some X-lady azz and be her own woman? I'm here for you momma.

Being arm candy because you banged the leader and became a leader because of that is silly. Especially her retcon of sleeping with other various MU socialites. You gotta bang Mr. Stark to be edgy? Really Emma?