View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

No. When people think of the X-men, most of them still think of the 90's cartoon, or the movies. Not to mention the fact that with Jean Grey back... all that Emma stuff could have never happened.
    Even when we see esme and bros on the gifted... its always alluding back to the hellfire club.

She was great, and was angsty but we are all one arc away from her being a villain again... because in many many ways she's a part of jeans rogues gallery. such that it is.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

She's an extremely popular cosplay choice, I've seen many more Emma Frost cosplayers than Kitty at cons. She also had her own series and several action figures and statues made of her. I'd say that's pretty iconic, toy companies don't often waste time creating molds for characters they think won't sell.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Yes, and I feel that she is really the last iconic member for some time now.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    these days there was a thread saying that kitty was the last great addition to the x-men family. some people mentioned other characters and one of them was emma, this left me thinking...
    Do x-fans really think she became a essential character for the franchice?? like an iconic member?

I honestly think she didn't. The only reason she came to the spotlight and got a tremendous push was because Jean was death and her relationship with cyclops. with jean alive and emma/cyclops not being a couple she almost disappeared of the x-books.

I know this is going to sound rude but it's just that i don't think she can have the same spotlight again with jean being alive.

edit: please don't make this a shipping debate, they suck. just try to be objective.
    if possible please say why you think she became or not an iconic x-men.
    Personally, I have always expected Emma to turn on the X-Men. She had the potential to be one of their greatest foes. Oh well.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    She was put into both the 2009 cartoon and the 2011 anime so yes.

Anyone saying Kitty is the last icon is out of their ever-loving mind for a VARIETY of reasons

People just don't like how Emma has the "taint of villain" on her somehow and she was always snarky to everyone and sassy, and it's Jean-stans upset about her "stealing Jean's man"
    Totally agree with this.

I'd have to say yes for two very specific reasons. The first is her tenure. She's been a full on member of the X-Men for at least 18 years of publication, if not longer, depending on whether you include GenX or not. Secondly her impact on the franchise must be taking into account. She has had a central role in nearly every major storyline of note, especially from M-Day thru IvX. She was also highly influential in setting the status quo of the X-Line for many years, but specifically the Astonishing era thru Utopia. IMO no other character besides Cyke has had such an influential role on the X-Line since she put an X on her costume.

I certainly have issues with some of the characters history and influence, but I generally enjoyed reading her. Even if I didn't appreciate anything about her characterization (I know some of you are in this boat), I don't see how anyone can deny she's entered "iconic x-men" territory probably quite some time ago. In fact I would argue that her divisiveness as a character certainly has something to do with that as well.

BANNED

Eh, you have to willfully ignore her villainous past for her modern characterization to make sense. Most people only like her for the **** and the bitchy 'mean girl' schtick, which got old after a few issues. Definitely not an icon. She's a mildly interesting supplement to much better characters.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Depends on whom you speak. Comic readers, Id guess yes, in a way. To the world at large? Oh, hell now.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    No. When people think of the X-men, most of them still think of the 90's cartoon, or the movies. Not to mention the fact that with Jean Grey back... all that Emma stuff could have never happened.
    Even when we see esme and bros on the gifted... its always alluding back to the hellfire club.

She was great, and was angsty but we are all one arc away from her being a villain again... because in many many ways she's a part of jeans rogues gallery. such that it is.
    She is an iconic X-woman, but I think its important to separate things as far as comic fans go the character is more X-Men and x-allied then power playing do her own thing mutant activist. Outside of comic fandom its the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Depends on whom you speak. Comic readers, Id guess yes, in a way. To the world at large? Oh, hell now.
    Agreed, I was thinking the same when you are writing. There are a few characters in the same boat. One of my favorite Lorna is certainly in a similar position in that regard.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-26-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Yeah, but if you were to poll the average non-comic book reading movie fan on the street about who the most iconic X-men are, they’d likely say “Wolverine, and......um...that Logan guy, and...aw jeez...the one with the claws.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

I loved Emma in Gen X and have pretty much hated her ever since Morrison brought her to the X-Men, but yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I do think she has made it to that list of X-Men characters.

If "world at large" is the criteria then Kitty and characters such as Nightcrawler probably wouldn't be considered iconic either.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Yeah, but if you were to poll the average non-comic book reading movie fan on the street about who the most iconic X-men are, they’d likely say “Wolverine, and......um...that Logan guy, and...aw jeez...the one with the claws.”
    And Mystique. Don't forget Hero Mystique.

If we were to ask the general population on which characters are iconic itd be Logan, Mystique and probably Storm or Jean...like asking the general non comic pop. wont suffice to anything since they are barely exposed to other characters besides Logan
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    If we were to ask the general population on which characters are iconic itd be Logan, Mystique and probably Storm or Jean...like asking the general non comic pop. wont suffice to anything since they are barely exposed to other characters besides Logan
    Rogue and Kitty Pryde will score points than Mystique. The general population does know quite a lot about comic books. Not many of read them.