View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Rogue and Kitty Pryde will score points than Mystique. The general population does know quite a lot about comic books. Not many of read them.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Yes, post-Morrison Emma is iconic (before that she was C-list). She was the top x-woman for the past decade, Marvel made sure of it. And she has been featured in tv shows, movies and video games ever since.
    Morrison made her a polarizing figure. Whedon made her loveable. Her solo comics helped her a lot. It was like reading an intelligent version of the movie Clueless.

She deserved her place.

Although she is not very famous among fans outside the comics like other characters she has become an important figure of this universe like Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops or Jean.

Not to mention that as an ally or antagonist she was the protagonist or co-protagonist of several important stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    these days there was a thread saying that kitty was the last great addition to the x-men family. some people mentioned other characters and one of them was emma, this left me thinking...
    Do x-fans really think she became a essential character for the franchice?? like an iconic member?

I honestly think she didn't. The only reason she came to the spotlight and got a tremendous push was because Jean was death and her relationship with cyclops. with jean alive and emma/cyclops not being a couple she almost disappeared of the x-books.

I know this is going to sound rude but it's just that i don't think she can have the same spotlight again with jean being alive.

edit: please don't make this a shipping debate, they suck. just try to be objective.
    if possible please say why you think she became or not an iconic x-men.

I think you need to get over that hurt and spite.
    Jean, Scott and Emma aren't real people. They're characters from comic books.

The X-Men are like a soap opera. So there must be sex, love, affair, infidelity, deception, cheating, mistakes, defects, screw-ups, regrets, forgiveness, sorrow, hurt, loss, overcoming, passion, love, hate, disappointment, redemption, reciprocal rediscovery and reconciliation...

It's confusing, intense, painful, but it's part of the plot. It's fun to see how the characters react when they're on the ropes.

It's fun to see how the characters overcome their limitations and difficulties, their problems and challenges, their fears, their secrets and their mistakes.
    It's fun.

The problem happens when the story gets too stale, when there's no movement at all, or when the story is discontinued, particularly if discontinuation is abrupt.

When there's no sequence to the plot, when the characters are unnecessarily killed off, when they destroy a character, but drastically, unnecessary and totally OOC.

Check it out, there wasn't any sort of redemption for Wanda; Jean's premature death (Morrison era); the whole stuff about Cyclops: "the mutant Hitler" and his stupid death; and the Emma Frost's Fate in IVX are the textbook example of what not to do. All of these plots were a truly horrifying breakup stories.

When there's no chance of winning, when there's no chance of redemption, when there's no chance of reciprocal rediscovery and reconciliation, when there's no chance of forgiveness, when there's no chance of overcoming grievances, mistakes, hate and resentment... then the story was a complete failure.

Jean and Emma are amazing characters.
    Both are very important to Scott.
    And Scott is very important to Jean and Emma.

So, why can't we love them both?

Amazing Member

she's totally needed and iconic to me, I can not read X-Men without her

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I don't think so. When I think Xmen and of the iconic characters I think Professor X, cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, rogue, gambit, magneto (maybe Jubilee). Emma, for all the focus she got during the 2000s was because she was cyclops boyfriend. As soon as that was over she went back to being a villain which is what I think she works best as.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    I think you need to get over that hurt and spite.
    Jean, Scott and Emma aren't real people. They're characters from comic books.

The X-Men are like a soap opera. So there must be sex, love, affair, infidelity, deception, cheating, mistakes, defects, screw-ups, regrets, forgiveness, sorrow, hurt, loss, overcoming, passion, love, hate, disappointment, redemption, reciprocal rediscovery and reconciliation...

It's confusing, intense, painful, but it's part of the plot. It's fun to see how the characters react when they're on the ropes.

It's fun to see how the characters overcome their limitations and difficulties, their problems and challenges, their fears, their secrets and their mistakes.
    It's fun.

The problem happens when the story gets too stale, when there's no movement at all, or when the story is discontinued, particularly if discontinuation is abrupt.

When there's no sequence to the plot, when the characters are unnecessarily killed off, when they destroy a character, but drastically, unnecessary and totally OOC.

Check it out, there wasn't any sort of redemption for Wanda; Jean's premature death (Morrison era); the whole stuff about Cyclops: "the mutant Hitler" and his stupid death; and the Emma Frost's Fate in IVX are the textbook example of what not to do. All of these plots were a truly horrifying breakup stories.

When there's no chance of winning, when there's no chance of redemption, when there's no chance of reciprocal rediscovery and reconciliation, when there's no chance of forgiveness, when there's no chance of overcoming grievances, mistakes, hate and resentment... then the story was a complete failure.

Jean and Emma are amazing characters.
    Both are very important to Scott.
    And Scott is very important to Jean and Emma.

So, why can't we love them both?
    I love them both but the answer to your question is a little obvious. many may not love them both for the same reason many do not love polygamy or condone affairs.

Yes and no. I feel she was essential for a very specific era but once the dust settles, I dont feel she will truly have been iconic. Like I dont think she ever needs to become an X-man again in the way I feel there is always a place for someone like Rogue, Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, despite the characters being gone for years

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Yes. GenX Emma is my favourite Emma.
    That was her best time: not burdened by villainy or no clothing or a relationship, able to teach and be the person she always could have been... And Adrienne got what she deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

While she's definitely one of the most popular X-Men characters, I always felt like she's at the bottom of it, it doesn't look like she's popular enough for the general public to know she exists, and while the same can be argued about other characters, again, I feel like she has it worst. Although the reason for that is not because of the character herself, she's just doesn't do much outside of comics, so it's quite an achievement she got on the level she's at.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    While she's definitely one of the most popular X-Men characters, I always felt like she's at the bottom of it, it doesn't look like she's popular enough for the general public to know she exists, and while the same can be argued about other characters, again, I feel like she has it worst. Although the reason for that is not because of the character herself, she's just doesn't do much outside of comics, so it's quite an achievement she got on the level she's at.
    Exactly. I think comicbook readers are aware of her but outside of that not so much.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's because she became elevated within the comics right after the XMen's heyday in broader media passed really. But she WAS in the two most recent animated adoptions though AND she was in a film (admittedly as a villain). Also her clones are currently in an ongoing TV show.. I think that is a good route to elevate her stature somewhat
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    That's because she became elevated within the comics right after the XMen's heyday in broader media passed really. But she WAS in the two most recent animated adoptions though AND she was in a film (admittedly as a villain). Also her clones are currently in an ongoing TV show.. I think that is a good route to elevate her stature somewhat
    Good points.

I think we're also forgetting that there is a visual element to being iconic and Emma kills it in this department. She has a number of landmark covers to her name and her visual appearance is stylistically unique among the X-Men. If you want to consider this from an "Icon of the X-Men" standpoint I think she definitely fits in this regard as well

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Good points.

I think we're also forgetting that there is a visual element to being iconic and Emma kills it in this department. She has a number of landmark covers to her name and her visual appearance is stylistically unique among the X-Men. If you want to consider this from an "Icon of the X-Men" standpoint I think she definitely fits in this regard as well
    Exactly. Tons of fanart includes her as a counterpoint visually to Jean.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    I love them both but the answer to your question is a little obvious. many may not love them both for the same reason many do not love polygamy or condone affairs.
    My friend, they aren't real people. They're characters from comic books.

Darth Vader is the lord of the Sith. He's a murderer, fascist, but it's fun, and I love him.

That doesn't mean I love murderers in the real world.
    I love Magneto, Doctor Doom, the Joker, Darkseid, the Green Goblin and Lex Luthor, but that's doesn't mean I love villains, sociopaths and criminals in the real world.

Jean and Logan kissed and hugged each other several times, but that didn't make me hate Jean or Logan.
    I love them.

Scott cheated on Jean, and Emma manipulated Scott and took advantage of his weakness, and yet I love them both.

That doesn't mean I love polygamy or condone affairs.
    I repeat: the X-Men are like a soap opera. They aren't real people. They're characters from comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    That was her best time: not burdened by villainy or no clothing or a relationship, able to teach and be the person she always could have been... And Adrienne got what she deserved.

All female characters are often depicted in tiny costumes and big hooters, or as if their bodies were just in body paint, without a suit.

It's usually the editor's fault. It's not characters' fault.

The answer is obvious this doesn't need a thread. No ****. /End butthurt thread