View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I do not understand how is this even a question. As a character she debuted in the same issue Kittty did, and she has been an X-man for ages now. She has the same 80's appeal Magik does, plus the new fanbase since Morrison.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Yes indeed. Oh wait this is just another Emmaphobic JG fan thread.
    There're a lot of them around here. Unfortunately.

And that's why I love Emma even more, and evermore and more.

Scemma forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Why would anyone need to argue such a silly question vigorously? Its like asking if Xavier is really bald or does he make people think he's bald. Of course she's an iconic X-Men Civil War, the Cabal. Namor is an X-Men because of Emma. The New X-Men are her students. The Frost Legacy lives on. Emma facilitated the X-Men into a comic book audience that is more cynical and jaded.

And if people are judging iconic by the greater public audience then J-law is the most iconic X-woman.

Jeans death is iconic not so much the character

And Storms and Rogues hair is iconic
    That's if we are using the wide audience as a standard.

I think people forgot Ellen Page was even in the movies or just drowned out those parts

It's very easy to overestimate the X-Men iconography I'd wager minions are more iconic then some characters I listed there
    Now you've got me wondering about Charles hair... I'd better consult the community.

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Yes indeed. Oh wait this is just another Emmaphobic JG fan thread.
    I voted yes. And I like Emma very much. And I'm a Jean Grey fan. No phobie here.

Of course she isn't. Most people doen't even know who she is

She is far behind Jean, charles, cyclops, rogue to be considered iconic

I stopped buying X-Men before she joined, and only read 4 issues of Gen X. I basically missed her completely.

I'm sure she is iconic for people that read her but I had to vote no

Astonishing Member

I'm going to level with you. I don't really know what the word "iconic" means anymore. People throw that word around a lot. But when I picture the X-Men I still kind of default to the '90s version. Maybe because in the 2000s I tended to read the X-Men books that weren't getting pushed as the "flagship" (loved X-Treme X-Men. If anyone should have become "iconic" it should have been Sage).

I will say that I don't particularly like Emma as an X-Man. As a character she just annoys the hell out of me. She's okay if she has the right character to bounce off of. I liked her playing off of Sean Cassidy in Generation X and off Kitty in Astonishing X-Men. But all those years of just her and Scott running things were pretty agonizing.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm going to level with you. I don't really know what the word "iconic" means anymore. People throw that word around a lot. But when I picture the X-Men I still kind of default to the '90s version. Maybe because in the 2000s I tended to read the X-Men books that weren't getting pushed as the "flagship" (loved X-Treme X-Men. If anyone should have become "iconic" it should have been Sage).

I will say that I don't particularly like Emma as an X-Man. As a character she just annoys the hell out of me. She's okay if she has the right character to bounce off of. I liked her playing off of Sean Cassidy in Generation X and off Kitty in Astonishing X-Men. But all those years of just her and Scott running things were pretty agonizing.
    Icon:

a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

That's really all there is to is. So she either represent the X-Men for you or doesn't. It's not a deeply complex question. I don't think you have to like a character for them to be an "icon". I've had little love for Charles, Ororo or Logan for years but there's no doubt they are icons for the x-men.

BANNED

I only picked "no" because i want to limit the number of xmen characters whom i consider iconic. Emma wouldnt be in the top 10.

Just like in music, people say Prince is a legend but for me he isnt, especially that sales-wise, a lot of music artists have sold more (more than 20) than Prince. Even i cant consider Janet Jackson as a legend.

That is only because im limiting my number of iconic or legend list to at least 10-20 only.

BANNED

Emma was a prominent member of the X-Men for much longer than a lot of characters that are generally considered iconic, but most of her tenure came well after comics had faded from public consciousness so only the minority of fans that kept reading throughout the last decade or so would consider her to be a major cast member. Her single movie appearance in First Class didn't really do her any favors either. Besides, Emma was a much more interesting character before she joined the X-Men, after becoming a hero her primary role was just to be emotional support for Cyclops. While I'm sure there are plenty of fans who enjoyed her in this capacity, it was a far cry from the way she was promoted as this strong, independent woman who wielded her sexuality as a weapon and all that.

Emma still has a lot going for her though, she's got a distinctive look and personality, an intriguing backstory, and an extensive history with the X-Men, so there's a lot to work with. However, she needs a writer who actually wants to give her the spotlight and explore her character, rather than just using her to prop up others as has been the case most of the time. I think it might be cool to just have something with her and the Cuckoos and explore her maternal side.

She's iconic, as recognizable.

I mean, she's the WHITE Queen. And she wears WHITE suits.
    Can we be more obvious from an iconic standpoint ?

And that's why I never liked her black suits.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Icon:

a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

That's really all there is to is. So she either represent the X-Men for you or doesn't. It's not a deeply complex question. I don't think you have to like a character for them to be an "icon". I've had little love for Charles, Ororo or Logan for years but there's no doubt they are icons for the x-men.
    Then the answer is "no".

But keep in mind my iconic X-Men would look more or less be the ones from the mid '90s or the Fox cartoon series. This is because my conception of the X-Men is very much linked to a specific time period in my early adolescence.
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 02-27-2018 at 05:25 AM.

When I look at how Emma Frost started out under Grant Morrison's run and look at how she grew, as a character, over the course of the next decade...yeah, I think she did more than enough to earn that status. I think she still has that status to some extent, but she took a major hit with Death of X and IvX. However, I don't think the damage to her reputation is irreparable. If someone like Steve Rogers can regain credibility after Secret Empire, then Emma Frost certainly can. It may take a while, but I think she's better equipped than most to succeed.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

"Please don't let this devolve into a ship thread...but I hate Emma because Scott cheated on Jean with her. So I don't think she should be important."

Eye roll. Why do people blame Morrison anyway...it was the writer Joe Casey that planted the seeds of trouble in the Summers marriage.

Emma is iconic. She has appeared in games, movies, had her own series, as well as get featured in many Marvel crossovers...so deal with it.

She isn't one the characters I picture when I think of the X-Men. She became a prominent member in the last decade when comics' popularity was starting to fade. The writing also left a lot to be desired. Recent stories haven't been as memorable as the older ones