View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Important,yes. Iconic, no. Arguably the last iconic X-Man introduced was Rogue. One could argue Gambit though due to his inclusion in TAS (which would also cover Jubilee since she came before him) and Psylocke who, even though wasn't but a bit player in one story in TAS, has certainly became a standard inclusion in X-history. But I'm going to stick with Rogue.

To me iconic would be Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Kitty and Colossus. Maybe Angel and Iceman if we stretch it.

Icon: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

Yes. Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    these days there was a thread saying that kitty was the last great addition to the x-men family. some people mentioned other characters and one of them was emma, this left me thinking...
    Do x-fans really think she became a essential character for the franchice?? like an iconic member?

I honestly think she didn't. The only reason she came to the spotlight and got a tremendous push was because Jean was death and her relationship with cyclops. with jean alive and emma/cyclops not being a couple she almost disappeared of the x-books.

I know this is going to sound rude but it's just that i don't think she can have the same spotlight again with jean being alive.

edit: please don't make this a shipping debate, they suck. just try to be objective.
    if possible please say why you think she became or not an iconic x-men.
    I don’t prefer the phrase “soandso just got a push”. This could be said of any character who is getting lots of panel time.

Every time a character is getting some limelight doesn’t mean they are getting a push. Not unless we want to say every chatacter ever who’s getting character development is getting a push. Regardless of the reason why they are being featured, they are getting panel time.

Anywho I do think Emma became an iconic part of the X-Men. Her being or not being a villain isn’t really relevant. Not saying I think she’s a villain but you can be a villain and still be an iconic hero too. She was a staple of many rosters, was in several video games and tv shows. I don’t think it’s debatable personally.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

I thought she already was....

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Icon:

a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

That's really all there is to is. So she either represent the X-Men for you or doesn't. It's not a deeply complex question. I don't think you have to like a character for them to be an "icon". I've had little love for Charles, Ororo or Logan for years but there's no doubt they are icons for the x-men.
    The bold is something many people seem to forget in a lot of objective debates... and I don’t mean just whether or not someone is an icon.

For example, people who hate wolverine but don’t understand why he has so much focus (he sells a lot of books) confuse me... but that’s a topic for another thread.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Nope. I have Emma in that Psylocke territory where most of tenure was there for just sex appeal and without any meaningful stories. Wolverine and Storm are the most iconic X-Men to the general public. After that it's Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. I took into account their appearances outside books(cartoons, video games, movies, etc.) when making my list. Also, I don't care how the movies depict Mystique as this mutant savior, it just don't feel right listing her as an X-Man.

Not no but hell no. She was a cancer on Scott and the X-Men in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Nope. I have Emma in that Psylocke territory where most of tenure was there for just sex appeal and without any meaningful stories. Wolverine and Storm are the most iconic X-Men to the general public. After that it's Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. I took into account their appearances outside books(cartoons, video games, movies, etc.) when making my list. Also, I don't care how the movies depict Mystique as this mutant savior, it just don't feel right listing her as an X-Man.
    I dont understand the meaningful stories part.
    Morrison's New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing, House of M, Messiah Complex etc weren't meaningful stories?

Emma was a very important character for the decade between 2001 and 2012. Before that (the late 90s Marrow-Maggot age of X-Men books), the books were generally terrible and had no direction (and that is why they called Morrison), and after Avengers vs X-Men and the end of the Utopia period the books have no direction again. I am not saying she is essential, a new focus or direction or overarching plot for xmen books can be created that doesnt include Emma.

I am a fan of Nightcrawler and I am glad he is alive (even if he has no soul and nobody knows if he is a mutant or some magical demonic creature made of bamfs), but he really hasnt done much at all since he left Excalibur in the late 90s. And much of the little character development he got (Austen-Azazel, resurrection with no soul) was terrible.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Emma was a very important character for the decade between 2001 and 2012. Before that (the late 90s Marrow-Maggot age of X-Men books), the books were generally terrible and had no direction (and that is why they called Morrison)...
    No. Once Harras was fired, Jemas gave Quesada a mandate to "fix" the X-books (even though they were still some of the top selling titles in the industry at the time.) Quesada and his regime then had Morrison do a pitch because Claremont's "Revolution" relaunch hadn't produced the desired sales results and because Quesada didn't like the stories Claremont was producing. That was years after the Marrow-Maggott age i.e. the Seagle and Kelly runs.

Seagle and Kelly had directions in mind and were setting all that up when editorial clamped down, derailed their plans, and started dictating the story plots.

I dont understand the meaningful stories part.
    Morrison's New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing, House of M, Messiah Complex etc weren't meaningful stories?

Emma was a very important character for the decade between 2001 and 2012. Before that (the late 90s Marrow-Maggot age of X-Men books), the books were generally terrible and had no direction (and that is why they called Morrison), and after Avengers vs X-Men and the end of the Utopia period the books have no direction again. I am not saying she is essential, a new focus or direction or overarching plot for xmen books can be created that doesnt include Emma.

I am a fan of Nightcrawler and I am glad he is alive (even if he has no soul and nobody knows if he is a mutant or some magical demonic creature made of bamfs), but he really hasnt done much at all since he left Excalibur in the late 90s. And much of the little character development he got (Austen-Azazel, resurrection with no soul) was terrible.
    I guess it all depends on how those "meaningful" stories are perceived. For me personally, all I remember her for in New X-Men is her affair with Cyclops. Don't remember much of what she did in Whedon's Astonishing except for her and Kitty being snarky with each other. Don't remember her role in House of M at all. I blocked Messiah Complex from my mind for what it did to Bishop's character. These are just my thoughts/opinions though, so pay 'em no mind. Don't be surprised though if there are others who feel the same way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    No. Once Harras was fired, Jemas gave Quesada a mandate to "fix" the X-books (even though they were still some of the top selling titles in the industry at the time.) Quesada and his regime then had Morrison do a pitch because Claremont's "Revolution" relaunch hadn't produced the desired sales results and because Quesada didn't like the stories Claremont was producing. That was years after the Marrow-Maggott age i.e. the Seagle and Kelly runs.

Seagle and Kelly had directions in mind and were setting all that up when editorial clamped down, derailed their plans, and started dictating the story plots.
    What I remember from before Morrison is the Casey run with a militaristic Banshee, that introduced Stacy X, and The Twelve. I didnt really like it much to be honest.

NO.

Emma emblematic of the X team? Not at all.

She is a manipulator and a potential villain, which is what she was created for, another thing is that they pushed her into our throats, like a sister of our beloved Jean Gray.

But she always showed those traces of evil and manipulation, iconic and a true hero is not, nor was it, it's like saying that Magneto someday will be redeemed, even though the marvel editorial is stupid, Mganeto will never be a hero real.

But no, Emma was just a meanwhile, and it was somewhat forced, she's fine where she is, now that Jean's come back, out of the x-men, as a villainous antagonist, or somebody who could be asked for help, but then he leaves again.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

I honestly think she didn't. The only reason she came to the spotlight and got a tremendous push was because Jean was death and her relationship with cyclops. with jean alive and emma/cyclops not being a couple she almost disappeared of the x-books.

I know this is going to sound rude but it's just that i don't think she can have the same spotlight again with jean being alive.
    That's true, and I completely agree, that's why it's better where it is now, outside the group, and as a secondary antagonist.

Reasons why Emma Frost is an iconic X-Man:

Debuted in X-Men's most iconic story Dark Phoenix Saga

Her minor villainess career included a body swap with Storm, Firestar mini, and frequent appearances in New Mutants.

Lead Role In:
    Generation X vol. 1
    New X-Men by Grant Morrison
    Astonishing X-Men vol. 1 by Joss Whedon etc.
    Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction
    Uncanny X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis

Co-Starring Role In:
    New Mutants/Academy X/New X-Men
    X-Men by Peter Milligan

Emma Frost also had her own solo series which ran 18 issues (Longer than Cyclops, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Storm, Rogue, etc), the second longest of the that wave of new titles aside from Runaways. (Remember that Morrison was originally going to pen her solo too. Ugh I wish).

X-Men Events:
    Phalanx Covenant
    Age of Apocalypse
    Onslaught - Gen X Spin Off
    Zero Tolerance - Gen X Spin Off
    Messiah Complex
    Second Coming
    Necrosha
    AvX
    Battle of the Atom
    No More Humans
    Secret Wars
    Death of X
    IvX

During her tenure has Headmistress she frequently guest starred or made cameos in nearly all the X-Line titles as well as some Marvel Universe titles such as New Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, etc. As well as having reoccurring supporting role in Ultimate X-Men. She also was the lead team in Phoenix Endsong/Warsong series, and played a major role in Blinded by the Light in Mike Carey's prelude to Messiah Complex.

Wolverine Events:
    Enemy of the State
    Old Man Logan

Emma was Wolverine's go to telepath during Wolverine Origins.

Marvel Events:
    House of M
    Civil War
    Secret Invasion
    World War Hulk - X-Men Spin Off
    Dark Reign/Siege
    Fear Itself - X-Men Spin Off
    Age of Ultron
    Original Sin
    Secret Empire

All this is the comicverse alone, and not including cameos, other random appearances, and alternate realites. She also has legacy of the Stepford Cuckoos who a consistently used in the X-titles. Not to mention Ruby Summers her daughter with Cyclops in the future.

TV:
    Pryde of the X-Men
    X-Men: The Animated Series
    Generation X (tv movie)
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    X-Men Anime

Emma was designed for the next season of X-Men Evolution before the series was cancelled. Joss Whedon's entire Astonishing X-Men run was also adapted to motion comics.

Film:
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    X-Men First Class

Emma is name dropped in Days of Future Past.

Video Games:
    X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men - Boss
    X-Men: Legends - Playable
    X-Men: Legends 2 - Featured Nonplayable
    X-Men: Destiny - Featured Nonplayable

Emma is mentioned in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, as well as others.

So is Emma Frost an iconic X-Men?

Yes. She's iconic because she built her way up from a B-Villain to an A-Lister (and in a rather linear fashion). She is widely known and popular in the comic world. Her history is important and integral in the story of X-Men. And she has been used in plethora of outside media to her more exposure. Her blonde hair, typical all white attire, and a unique/distinct personality have made her recognizable.

* And no, I'm not saying shes more iconic than Xavier, Wolverine, Storm, etc. There are plenty more over her. But in the vast 100s of X-Men I'd say she ranks in the Top 10-15.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Mighty Member

What I remember from before Morrison is the Casey run with a militaristic Banshee, that introduced Stacy X, and The Twelve. I didnt really like it much to be honest.
    Casey's run (on Uncanny X-Men) was simultaneous with Morrison's run (on New X-Men), starting in mid-2001. That did include Stacy X and the whole Banshee/X-Corps mess.

The Twelve was part of the editorially plotted Alan Davis run 2-3 years earlier.